Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long for driving licence to arrive?

• 15-12-2020 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I passed my test about two weeks ago, and applied for a licence the next day. I still haven't heard anything about it being shipped and I'm just wondering if anyone's in the same position as me? I've been driving solo nonetheless, but having my licence on me would just ease my mind in case I get stopped, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Gardai can check license details on the spot, so no worries there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You normally get a text 3/4 days before arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Technope87

I’m in the same boat, coming up on 3 weeks. I got an email receipt of payment and confirming it’s under review. Called them today to check and they said it’s still under review and they have a massive back log. They wouldn’t give me even a rough time frame so I don’t know how long it’ll take!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Any idea of the wait times for renewing learner permits? Renewed last week online but have test date coming up in January and no sign, nervous now!!

Goose76 wrote: »
    Any idea of the wait times for renewing learner permits? Renewed last week online but have test date coming up in January and no sign, nervous now!!

Rang them and was told not to panic, they are only closed for a couple of days over Christmas and there was no mention of any backlog or unforeseen delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I’ve a girl with test today. She renewed on Monday 7th December and it was in her hand that Friday but in my experience that was exceptionally fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

QJJQJDE wrote: »
    I passed my test about two weeks ago, and applied for a licence the next day. I still haven't heard anything about it being shipped and I'm just wondering if anyone's in the same position as me? I've been driving solo nonetheless, but having my licence on me would just ease my mind in case I get stopped, etc.

Not as bad but passed on Monday and applied online straight after. Licence hasn't come but there's a "digital" version of it on the new RSA portal and I show up as having a full licence on there. So I put the N plates up, took a screenshot on the phone and have been driving away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My one took just over 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I applied on Tuesday evening having passed the test earlier that day. It arrived this morning. Far quicker than I was expecting.

dintbo wrote: »
    I applied on Tuesday evening having passed the test earlier that day. It arrived this morning. Far quicker than I was expecting.

That’s crazy haha 3 weeks now and I haven’t heard a thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Darc19 wrote: »
    Gardai can check license details on the spot, so no worries there.

It needs to be issued and you need to have recieved it. Merely applying for it doesn't cover the driver.

It needs to be issued and you need to have recieved it. Merely applying for it doesn't cover the driver.

What about if , as is the case with the new online system, the licence has been issued and shows up as same but not been received by the driver?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What about if , as is the case with the new online system, the licence has been issued and shows up as same but not been received by the driver?

You need to have the licence on you. Even your insurance won't give you a policy without it having been received.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

Technope87 wrote: »
    That’s crazy haha 3 weeks now and I haven’t heard a thing!

I actually got the text on Wednesday Evening that it's been dispached and will be with me within 3-5 days, so hopefully I'll get it before Christmas, as a nice lovely present, from me to me :D

Licence came in the post this morning. All good to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

Licence came in the post this morning. All good to go now.

Happy driving! I think mine came in the mail back home, so I'll be collecting it when I'm home for the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iQuain

You need to have the licence on you. Even your insurance won't give you a policy without it having been received.

Rang my local Garda station regarding this and they said it was okay to drive in the meantime with proof of my full. Only as a temporary measure though. I think they’re being fairly understanding with the whole situation at the minute.

iQuain wrote: »
    Rang my local Garda station regarding this and they said it was okay to drive in the meantime with proof of my full. Only as a temporary measure though. I think they’re being fairly understanding with the whole situation at the minute.

They just don't want the hassle of an argument over the phone. It's not their choice.

Just an update in case it’s helpful to anyone else - the NDLS seem to be all over the shop with timelines etc. I rang them again today asking about my learner permit renewal. They were very friendly but couldn’t give me any reason why it hadn’t been dispatched - confirmed no issues with it, acknowledged it should have been dispatched but didn’t know why it hadn’t been, and said I should definitely cancel my test date for January 2nd as it’s unlikely I’ll have it by then :(

Anyone who needs a licence / permit urgently, I’d be wary - the timelines on the automated phone line and on the website are definitely not being adhered to at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Think i mentioned earlier my licence took just over 3 weeks what i didn't mention is that they spelt my surname wrong, left a letter out, don't know if i should to send it back or not , or wait till things calm down abit as its seems they are under pressure to make that mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I passed my test on the 26th. Applied online for full license that day and received my license in the post on the 23rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They just don't want the hassle of an argument over the phone. It's not their choice.

No, it's a common sense approach.

Basically if you act like a prick when you are stopped a garda can take various actions including asking why you don't have a license on you.

However, if it went to court and you can show that you are licensed and garda did not give you the opportunity to present it at a garda station or the Garda did not check the mobility app, the judge would give the Garda a roasting for wasting his time (judge Zaidan, approx 2 years ago in Athy against a Kildare garda)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iQuain

I’ll also say that I applied for mine on the 15th and it arrived on the 24th. So that’s about 7 working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 RebelRising18

I have an appointment for my first time driving licence on Saturday. Do I need an eyesight report? I wear glasses and have the numbers 01 on the back of my learner permit, so if I tick the box on the form to say I wear glasses should that cover it?

Argh. Still no sign of my new learner permit- renewed online December 10th. Emails being ignored and staff on the phone pleasant but can’t give me any timeline (after hours on hold)

Have already cancelled one driving test due to the delay and may have to postpone the next one too.

Just coming on here to vent I suppose, if there’s such bad delays then why does the website or the automated introduction on the phone line flag this to applicants??

My daughter passed on Saturday. Applied online Saturday afternoon. Licence arrived this morning

Argh. Still no sign of my new learner permit- renewed online December 10th. Emails being ignored and staff on the phone pleasant but can’t give me any timeline (after hours on hold)

Have already cancelled one driving test due to the delay and may have to postpone the next one too.

Just coming on here to vent I suppose, if there’s such bad delays then why does the website or the automated introduction on the phone line flag this to applicants??

Just an update - the learner permit came in the post today :)

Took just over one full calendar month to arrive and I received no text to say it had been dispatched. The electronic version appeared on Myroadsafety.ie on Tuesday and the physical copy arrived today, Monday.

I'm sharing as a word of caution to those who may need a permit/license urgently as there are very clearly delays. Also sharing in case anyone is awaiting a text to say the license/permit has been dispatched, you may not get one and it may just magically appear in your postbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 YURTSAN

I've been waiting a month for my license to come. I have a upcoming test and I've been trying to get through to ndls for a week and no joy .

YURTSAN wrote: »
    I've been waiting a month for my license to come. I have a upcoming test and I've been trying to get through to ndls for a week and no joy .

Sorry to hear that. I had to cancel a previous test because my permit didnt arrive on time.

If you do get through to the NDLS, explain the situation to them and they may be able to advise if your permit will arrive on time. You should be able to reschedule your test free of charge on myroadsafety.ie.

• Advertisement

YURTSAN wrote: »

When did it expire and when is your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 YURTSAN

When did it expire and when is your test?

The 25th. No longer have the old permit unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

I applied for my mine on the 15th December and it came in the post on 11th January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

I applied for my full license on Dec 22nd and still no sign of it.

scrumqueen wrote: »
    I applied for my full license on Dec 22nd and still no sign of it.

is there an e-version on myroadsafety.ie? that should give you an indication if it's nearly ready to be posted, if it hasn't been posted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

i applied for mine wednesday last week, done it online with the mygovid got it today seemed really fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Quick question.. If you pass your test and apply online for your licence, do you need to wait till you receive the actual license or can you drive without it??

Quick question.. If you pass your test and apply online for your licence, do you need to wait till you receive the actual license or can you drive without it??

Legally, you have to wait.

My daughter renewed her permit online on 5th January and it arrived in the post less than a week after that.

When I passed I rang the ndls as my licence was taking ages, they told me to check if I was covered with my insurance company as the gards were aware of the back log in getting the licences out. My insurance company said I was covered so I drove all over xmas with out it.

Until you've got the licence in your posession, you are still a learner.
    Technope87 wrote: »
    When I passed I rang the ndls as my licence was taking ages, they told me to check if I was covered with my insurance company as the gards were aware of the back log in getting the licences out. My insurance company said I was covered so I drove all over xmas with out it.

That's just someone avoiding confrontation. The Insurance company have no say on whether or not you're legally permitted to drive.

• Advertisement

Until you've got the licence in your posession, you are still a learner.

That's just someone avoiding confrontation. The Insurance company have no say on whether or not you're legally permitted to drive.

That was my thinking aswell, but after speaking to both ndls and insurance company and being told the exact same thing I thought I would take the chance.

is there an e-version on myroadsafety.ie? that should give you an indication if it's nearly ready to be posted, if it hasn't been posted already.

Day I posted that here and found out about the site there was an HOUR wait to get into the site, I just checked again today and its half an hour.
    WTF is going on! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

For anyone that’s received their full licence recently. Did you get a text saying it had been dispatched a few days before?

I know that was the case when I renewed my LP, got a text about 2 days before it arrived. Curious and impatient to get the full!

Rosstopher wrote: »
    For anyone that’s received their full licence recently. Did you get a text saying it had been dispatched a few days before?

I know that was the case when I renewed my LP, got a text about 2 days before it arrived. Curious and impatient to get the full!

yeah i got a text 2 days ago and it arrived this morning. exactly a month waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Passed test on Tuesday, ordered around 4:30 on Tuesday and it arrived now this morning :) didn’t receive any text or anything. Going to go for a spin now

Passed test on Tuesday, ordered around 4:30 on Tuesday and it arrived now this morning :) didn’t receive any text or anything. Going to go for a spin now

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sammett

Hi. I passed the drving test yesterday. Do I need to send IRP and passport? It says They need the originals, not copies. I am a bit afraid if they got lost in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

So my daughter successfully sat her test on Saturday afternoon. When she got home she applied online for her license and was delighted when it arrived this morning. We'll done NDLS, that's fantastic service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Renewal is taking about 3 weeks from appointment to delivery, assume staff levels down from Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sammett

Hi. I passed the drving test yesterday. Do I need to send IRP and passport? It says They need the originals, not copies. I am a bit afraid if they got lost in the post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement