Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping it simple

• 19-03-2019 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

When religion stop's being a dominant part of primary school, would it be a good Idea to implement a subject which mixes in philosophy theology, sociology and mythology all into one subject.

Maybe history will do.

I noticed that on this forum kid's education is a big thing.

I'm interested in what ye think would be a good way forward, as your discussions here are quite interesting.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In this age of fake news coming at you from every angle, in my opinion teaching critical thinking from a young age would be by far more the most valuable thing we could add to curriculum. After that, traditions for different cultures is becoming increasingly important. Ethics, civics and philosophy to a lesser extent are covered in subjects like CSPE and SPHE.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

smacl wrote: »
    In this age of fake news coming at you from every angle, in my opinion teaching critical thinking from a young age would be by far more the most valuable thing we could add to curriculum. After that, traditions for different cultures is becoming increasingly important. Ethics, civics and philosophy to a lesser extent are covered in subjects like CSPE and SPHE.

Can you imagine - taking the 40 minutes of religion a day (pure wasted time) and giving primary school kids an introduction on basic critical thinking and reasoning!

That would be superb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Tacklebox wrote: »
    When religion stop's being a dominant part of primary school, would it be a good Idea to implement a subject which mixes in philosophy theology, sociology and mythology all into one subject.

Maybe history will do.

I noticed that on this forum kid's education is a big thing.

I'm interested in what ye think would be a good way forward, as your discussions here are quite interesting.

In the words of Ben Goldacre, I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that.
    There are several issues which need to be addressed with regard to religious education.

The first thing to address is the way in which religion is taught in schools. I actually think its important to teach children about religion but about all of them, not just a preferred one or two, and in a comparative rather than pluralistic way. Over the years here, we've seen testimony from teachers saying that they are expected to teach certain claims of Christianity as if they are facts. This must be changed. But scrapping religion entirely is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If religions are taught comparatively, then they all look wrong.

The second thing is to remove faith formation from schools. This should go without saying but any time in a state-funded school should not be spent on indoctrination into a specific religion.

Next, your list of what should be incorporated into this new subject needs adjusting. I don't really see what utility theology has and mythology is only useful in a comparative context or in a literature context. What's missing from that list is critical thinking skills. Children should be encouraged to think for themselves, to be taught the skills necessary to assess a claim for themselves.

There needs to be root and branch reform of how religion is offered to students in schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Tacklebox wrote: »

I see a fundamental flaw in your proposition already :p But for the purposes of discussion, I’ll go with the idea that religion will inevitably at some point no longer be a dominant ideology in education. In essence what you’re proposing is replacing one ideology with another.

Critical thinking is, in and of itself, an ideology, a philosophy. One of the problems common to any philosophy is that one of the fundamental drivers behind it is the idea that everyone will come to the same conclusions eventually, on the basis of course of rational thought and logical argument. The fundamental problem is that people are egocentric, and children infinitely more so. Children certainly possess the capacity from the early stages of their development to think critically (and creatively), if critical thinking is regarded as a healthy skepticism for claims which aren’t supported by evidence. In a way, what comes before critical thinking is contextual thinking - the capacity to examine evidence objectively. Children are terrible at it, because they lack so much of the information necessary to form an objective test of the veracity of any claims. Adults have a greater capacity to obtain and process information about the veracity of any claim, but natural prejudice and bias can influence how we evaluate evidence as either credible, or incredible, and more often than not, we simply reject anything which doesn’t square with our already held beliefs. To move an adult from that position is even more impossible than to move a child from that position, because children are generally lead by what adults tell them, whereas adults are more belligerent (or rather, “steadfast” in their thinking), and unlikely to be moved by evidence which contradicts their already held beliefs. They simply conveniently rationalise it away.

Essentially, it’s not simply a question of education reform, but rather parental reform, as parents are first and foremost for most children, their repository of where they get their information, and how they are influenced to process the information they receive from a whole variety of other sources. It’s one of the reasons why “fake news” is as popular as it is - because it’s delivered in such a way as to manipulate people’s biases and prejudices, in order to reinforce those prejudices and biases which a person already holds - that’s why fake news is so attractive, and why humans are so attuned to ideas which support our already held beliefs, and reject or veer away from or steer entirely clear of ideas which contradict our already held beliefs.

It’s considerably more difficult to do that in the age of the Internet when as well as being bombarded by fake news, we are also bombarded with information which presents evidence that our fundamentally held beliefs which were once supported by what we evaluated as credible evidence, is now being turned on it’s head by new evidence which presents a direct contradiction in our thought processes. If you’ve ever experienced yourself saying to yourself - “I could swear that was a woman!”, that’s a very simple example of what you once held to be true based upon evidence which was available to you, being contradicted by new evidence. Your first thought whether you’re conscious of it or not will be to reject the fundamental contradiction rather than embrace it, like giving your mother in law an awkward hug :pac:

Put simply - education reform won’t matter a jot as it’s simply replacing one dominant ideology for another, you have to back further in the context developing of critical thinking skills, developing a healthy skepticism and encouraging parents to encourage their children to question everything their parents impart to them as true (or in philosophical terms “the nature of reality”). You’re unlikely to get much traction for that idea among parents, but that’s where it has to start if your aim is truly to develop adults capacity and faculties which enable them to think critically. It’s not like riding a bike where it’s a skill that remains with you from childhood to adulthood, but it’s more like learning, understanding and using a language on a daily basis - you don’t use it, you lose it (I still think in Irish as I was raised in a family where we were compelled to use it), but the French I took in school? I think it was Percy Sledge (no it wasn’t, thank you Internet :D) Sam Cooke summed up my abilities in that regard -

Sam Cooke - Don't Know Much About History Lyrics

Basically, to keep it simple, it’s not about what a person learns in school will influence how they perceive the nature of reality, their thinking will be far more greatly influenced by their experiences (or indeed lack thereof), in determining what appears rational and logical to them, and when it doesn’t appear rational and logical, how do they close that gap in their cognitive dissonance. Education though, in any of it’s forms, will always start with their parents, and it’s there that you need to start reform if your intent is to promote your own ideology -

Critical thinking in children: Are we teaching our kids to be dumb?

Education reform doesn’t happen without positive support from the parents, and in Ireland, that support doesn’t appear to be forthcoming, so forming the initial question as ‘when’ rather than ‘if’, assumes facts for which there is currently not much in the way of credible evidence that parents are all that interested in education reform, as current evidence suggests that most parents are only interested in their children receiving a minimum standard of education which enables their children to function in how those parents view society as they would wish it to be, rather than how society actually functions in reality - as a collection of competing and conflicting ideas rather than collaborative ideologies which complement each other. There is of course an assumed advantage in promoting an ideology as early as possible to as many young minds as possible (and what better way to do that than in an environment with a captive audience), but that assumption has the fatal flaw of being predicated upon the idea that children’s development is more influenced in a school environment than outside of it, where they encounter reality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Critical thinking is, in and of itself, an ideology, a philosophy.

Not really, in my opinion it is more of a tool and I suspect you're confusing critical thinking with epistemology to some degree here . In terms of teaching, critical thinking introduces the notion of testing an assertion. A methodical approach that a student a can apply when presented with a piece of information to get some notion of the veracity of that information. As such it is the diametric opposite of rote learning, in that it prompts a student to ask relevant questions as opposed to regurgitating previously provided answers. Children ask 'why?' as matter of form from a very young age, it is simply a matter adding a little structure and also getting them to ask 'why not?' as well.
    Essentially, it’s not simply a question of education reform, but rather parental reform

Yes and no. Ideally yes, but parents might not have the necessary skills or ability. Educators are professionals and ideally should have the skills to educate children. Parents may or may not, so while they might strive to provide the best educational outcome for their children they might come from a poor educational background themselves. To my mind the best outcome is where parents and educators combine their efforts, hence notions such as 'Educate Together'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

smacl wrote: »

Absolutely, remove religion from school keep it at home, science logic and philosophy should be mandatory for all kids in school.

They do this, it will cut out all fundamentalism within a generation.

They won't tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    In the words of Ben Goldacre, I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that.
    There are several issues which need to be addressed with regard to religious education.

The first thing to address is the way in which religion is taught in schools. I actually think its important to teach children about religion but about all of them, not just a preferred one or two, and in a comparative rather than pluralistic way. Over the years here, we've seen testimony from teachers saying that they are expected to teach certain claims of Christianity as if they are facts. This must be changed. But scrapping religion entirely is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If religions are taught comparatively, then they all look wrong.

The second thing is to remove faith formation from schools. This should go without saying but any time in a state-funded school should not be spent on indoctrination into a specific religion.

Next, your list of what should be incorporated into this new subject needs adjusting. I don't really see what utility theology has and mythology is only useful in a comparative context or in a literature context. What's missing from that list is critical thinking skills. Children should be encouraged to think for themselves, to be taught the skills necessary to assess a claim for themselves.

There needs to be root and branch reform of how religion is offered to students in schools.

Yes I agree with this too, when I said remove religion from school I meant as it has been - teaching it as fact

Even Dawkins advocates for kids to learn about all religions in school.

Advertisement