Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiff front gear shifter

Options
  • 21-02-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi! :)

I have recently had an issue with my front gear cable when it snapped in middle of shifting. I've went in one bike shop where a guy had put new gear cable. After 5 mins into cycling, I have noticed that when changing from Med-Hig gear it feels that I'm breaking my shifter and getting sore thumb. I've went back and the mechanic said that my front derailleur is rusted so he will put more lubricant on front derailleur.

So the issue is before my gear cable snapped I could easily change gears but now when the mechanic has put a new gear cable I feel breaking my shifter and cable. Can anybody let me know what I can do in this situation or I need to go back to the mechanic. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

lil_kev wrote: »
    Hi! :)

I have recently had an issue with my front gear cable when it snapped in middle of shifting. I've went in one bike shop where a guy had put new gear cable. After 5 mins into cycling, I have noticed that when changing from Med-Hig gear it feels that I'm breaking my shifter and getting sore thumb. I've went back and the mechanic said that my front derailleur is rusted so he will put more lubricant on front derailleur.

So the issue is before my gear cable snapped I could easily change gears but now when the mechanic has put a new gear cable I feel breaking my shifter and cable. Can anybody let me know what I can do in this situation or I need to go back to the mechanic. Thanks :)

If you had replaced the cable yourself, I'd be inclined to suggest tinkering with it. However, given the fact that you (presumably) paid somebody to do the job, I'd be going back to that person and telling them what's wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

More than likely a bit of the snapped cable is jammed in the shifter. Will require dismantling of the shifter and will probably cost you. Was the cable overdue for replacement? Do you service the bike regularly or just repair after breakdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

cdaly_ wrote: »
    More than likely a bit of the snapped cable is jammed in the shifter. Will require dismantling of the shifter and will probably cost you. Was the cable overdue for replacement? Do you service the bike regularly or just repair after breakdown?

Hi. I've usually service my bike every 3 months. About gear cable I usually replace after my gear cable gets broken. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be curious why the gear cable snapped in the first place, not beyond the bounds of possibility there was already an underlying issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

i'd be curious why the gear cable snapped in the first place, not beyond the bounds of possibility there was already an underlying issue.

How so, I often snap a cable if I don't get them changed on time? I mean there densest have to be underlying condition, its a regular consumable (or am I missing something)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kink in the cable housing, some other issue like that? the OP mentioned cable replacement, but it's not clear if the housing was also replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

I went to another bike shop and they said that they will have to inspect everything. But I’m bit courious as well why the old gear lever was not stiff and when cable was replaced it feels like that I’m breaking the lever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The issue with gear cables is that there are fairly tight turns within a modern shifter. The cable is being flexed to and fro at each shift. Work hardening means that the cable becomes brittle at the bend and is most likely to snap there. Add that to the complexity of a shifter with lots of little plates moving against each other and there is potential for broken bits of cable to jam. OTOH, I suppose its possible that some other foreign body ended up in there or the new cable is incorrectly routed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The issue with gear cables is that there are fairly tight turns within a modern shifter. The cable is being flexed to and fro at each shift. Work hardening means that the cable becomes brittle at the bend and is most likely to snap there. Add that to the complexity of a shifter with lots of little plates moving against each other and there is potential for broken bits of cable to jam. OTOH, I suppose its possible that some other foreign body ended up in there or the new cable is incorrectly routed.

Also - its easy enough to check most shifters anyway, roll back the hoods and see?

also, drop the FD onto the small ring and try to operate the FD mechanism by hand, see if it's stiff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement