Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Elmo wrote: »
    I haven't being saying this, but I don't think its much to asked a Public Service broadcaster to be able to bring something like Home School Hub together. I am not going to praise RTÉ for doing a job they should be doing and one that they should have being doing long ago.

Every time I hear "a new name" from RTÉ I have been find family relationships, I don't think this is good for any company or organisation.

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you were saying it but it has been a common factor in many posts.

I wasn't praising RTE either just pointing out the importance of PSB.

I'm sure every new recruit to RTE is not a relation but I don't know enough about this particular one to comment further.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ have a resident golf commentator!! He was on tonight’s SixOne News.

How many times a year do RTÉ broadcast golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Irish open if they’re lucky most golf is behind a paywall, most TV sports news will air highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

ONCE AGAIN, IT'S ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW AND NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, THE PC BRIGADE SHOWING THEIR TRUE COLOURS WITH THEIR RIGHT WING NEOLIBERAL ECONOMIC AGENDA.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Elmo wrote: »
    Irish open if they’re lucky most golf is behind a paywall, most TV sports news will air highlights.

Golf is a very popular sport in Ireland with high participation rates. I guess that's why it is covered by RTE.

https://www.irelandbeforeyoudie.com/the-5-most-popular-sports-in-ireland-ranked/

• Advertisement

ONCE AGAIN, IT'S ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW AND NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, THE PC BRIGADE SHOWING THEIR TRUE COLOURS WITH THEIR RIGHT WING NEOLIBERAL ECONOMIC AGENDA.

Is that a point about the golf coverage?

elperello wrote: »
    Golf is a very popular sport in Ireland with high participation rates. I guess that's why it is covered by RTE.

https://www.irelandbeforeyoudie.com/the-5-most-popular-sports-in-ireland-ranked/

I don’t doubt for 1 second that golf is an extremely popular sport in Ireland, but why do RTÉ need an in house golf commentator? Surely they can get a contractor in for the 1 tournament they half broadcast each year? Surely the European tour have their own in house commentary feed that RTÉ could tap into? (Similar to how FIFA/UEFA/IRB have a commentary feed that is supplied with the television feed for their big tournaments, though most broadcasters choose not to use these audio feeds (except TV3 during the rugby World Cup when they used that feed for non Ireland games )).

It would be like having George Hamilton on the books and only showing 2-3 games a year (all over a long weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that Greg Allen you're talking about?

He would be on RTE Radio a lot, talking about most of the tour events, so he is actually on quite often.

Seems to know his stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

If ye want your moneys worth from yere yearly licence fee, look no further than listening to Joe Duffy on liveline earlier today where he completely and totally lost his $hit while at the same time got his entire perpetual sat down arse handed to him

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I don’t doubt for 1 second that golf is an extremely popular sport in Ireland, but why do RTÉ need an in house golf commentator? Surely they can get a contractor in for the 1 tournament they half broadcast each year? Surely the European tour have their own in house commentary feed that RTÉ could tap into? (Similar to how FIFA/UEFA/IRB have a commentary feed that is supplied with the television feed for their big tournaments, though most broadcasters choose not to use these audio feeds (except TV3 during the rugby World Cup when they used that feed for non Ireland games )).

Sorry, I really don't have the answer to your questions.

Maybe they feel that it is worthwhile to have a golf commentator. Perhaps it is even cost effective given the interest in the sport.

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    If ye want your moneys worth from yere yearly licence fee, look no further than listening to Joe Duffy on liveline earlier today where he completely and totally lost his $hit while at the same time got his entire perpetual sat down arse handed to him

Tell us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You might like to check out the guy he was up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Some driven stult with issues had a go?

Hardly got his arse handed to him.

Some clip tried to link The Taoiseach with the gaydar stuff?

Had form apparently..

The Dufficer had to refute that surely.

You might like to check out the guy he was up against.

lol Joe and his researchers had him well checked out already and they still let him up on it, and he still made a fools arse out of Duffy. If you think Joe & the crew came out well of that holy $hitshow you'd want your brain checking man.

Sorry, I really don't have the answer to your questions.

Maybe they feel that it is worthwhile to have a golf commentator. Perhaps it is even cost effective given the interest in the sport.

Fair enough, it just seems like an unnecessary resource to have in RTÉ (However I don't listen to RTÉ radio so was unaware that guy spends a lot of time on the radio).

Basically his job is to watch golf, and keep himself up to date on the goings on in the golf world, while maybe actually commentating for 4 days a year on the 1 golf tournament that RTÉ actually broadcast.

In a broadcaster running a €10M+ deficit, I can't see the logic, I'm sorry.

Some driven stult with issues had a go?

Hardly got his arse handed to him.

Some clip tried to link The Taoiseach with the gaydar stuff?

Had form apparently..

The Dufficer had to refute that surely.

He did Brendan, he got it handed to him like Moses got handed the tablet up the mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

He did Brendan, he got it handed to him like Moses got handed the tablet up the mountain
    What was the call about? Dropped my dad home and it was on the radio about Russell being a nazi...was that it ?

What was the call about? Dropped my dad home and it was on the radio about Russell being a nazi...was that it ?

It was about the Russell statue being defaced with the rainbow colours. If you were only half listening to it, I recommend you go on the player and listen to all of it, in its entirity. Your paying handsomely for it anyways so you may as well.

Fair enough, it just seems like an unnecessary resource to have in RTÉ (However I don't listen to RTÉ radio so was unaware that guy spends a lot of time on the radio).

It not my sport at all.

I don't play or watch it but I know people who love it almost like a religion.

Maybe it's a case of RTE not having the budget to cover the big events but by having a knowledgeable correspondent they manage to make do.

• Advertisement

lol Joe and his researchers had him well checked out already and they still let him up on it, and he still made a fools arse out of Duffy. If you think Joe & the crew came out well of that holy $hitshow you'd want your brain checking man.

Depends on where you start from.

If you have an antipathy towards JD you will of course not be choosy who you support against him.

If you align with MS that's between you and him.

My brain is fine, thanks for your concern.

Who is MS?
    I can't get to listen back just yet.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who is MS?
    I can't get to listen back just yet.

Sorry I'm a devil for the shorthand Malachy Steenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Sorry I'm a devil for the shorthand Malachy Steenson.

In fairness, Joe was embarrassing in that debate. He is an establishment shill.

If you have an antipathy towards JD you will of course not be choosy who you support against him.

I don't align with anything except what I hear for myself with my own ears. I have no clue who or what "MS" is.

I know what a holy show is though, and today it was Joe Duffy.

Or "JD" or whatever you are having yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'll ask this question again because you ignored it previously. What is with your hard on for all things RTE?

Do you work there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Went ‘top note’ very quickly I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Good article on “The Den” on
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dustin-the-den-5130813-Jun2020/

Best part is
    “The reason it actually worked is because RTÉ had feck all involvement. That’s why it worked, if they tried it they’d end up with Echo Island meets The Nuacht. Echo Island, if you remember that muck, was basically a programme where children could go out and play for 25 minutes and get some air, and then come back in. “

I think I read a story on Zig and Zag in Hot press, how the creators made the puppets only the night before the first broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good article on “The Den” on
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dustin-the-den-5130813-Jun2020/

Best part is
    “The reason it actually worked is because RTÉ had feck all involvement. That’s why it worked, if they tried it they’d end up with Echo Island meets The Nuacht. Echo Island, if you remember that muck, was basically a programme where children could go out and play for 25 minutes and get some air, and then come back in. “

I think I read a story on Zig and Zag in Hot press, how the creators made the puppets only the night before the first broadcast.

Basically hit the nail on the head

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

fritzelly wrote: »
    Basically hit the nail on the head

And back in the 80's the RTE budget had to be a fraction of what it is today.
    Amazing.

Advertisement