Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭J_M_G

An extremely parochial view of things there. Why should it only focus on national news? Why should it only focus on national sports?

Reading comprehension bud. I said international if it's something major is totally fine. How many scoops of ice-cream Trump had for dessert wouldn't count. EU policy decisions that impact Ireland would.

There's plenty of other sources available to people for international news. The role of a national broadcaster should be to stay focused on issues of national importance and to excel at that. It would also keep costs down which is obviously an issue facing RTE as it stands.

Only essential travel outside the county. Why is Catriona in Derry on the 6.1 news?

Because journalism and media is considered essential industry.

What kind of stupid question is that to ask? Your answer is in your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

So she goes all the way to Derry to interview a fellow RTE journalist? It probably cost a few thousand euros just to shift her and the cameraman there and back, for a five minute slot. that's pissing money away.

salonfire wrote: »
    Because journalism and media is considered essential industry.

What kind of stupid question is that to ask? Your answer is in your question.

Well, my point is that it wasn’t essential for Ms Perry to be transported to Derry. Tommie Gorman is perfectly well able conduct any interview. Journalism may be considered essential, which I understand, but her fronting it up from Derry isn’t. In fact, it’s unnecessary and, dare I say, stupid behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Perry is pushed to the top at every chance.
    She and her family are connected in the right circle s you can be guaranteed of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭political analyst

J_M_G wrote: »
    Irish broadcasting and RTE reform should be very simple.

The only programming should be news bulletins, current affairs and discussion type shows, shows about Irish culture, regional affairs and history and Irish sport.

That's it.

No dramas, no soaps, no movies, no foreign sport, no low brow content like reality tv.

No ads either. Downsize it by 50-75% and fund it via general taxation. Scrap the license fee and all associated collection costs.

News bulletins every 2 hours at 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm and 9pm.
    Nice and simple, focused exclusively on national news with international if it's something major and important.

Current affairs shows on politics, culture and social issues of the day. These should be 1-2 hour longform discussion shows. Simple and cheap to produce. Imagine Joe Rogan style conversations and debates. Just a bunch of people sitting around a table talking. Obviously the current manner RTE do things like this is awful and biased toward a liberal agenda and the whole thing needs completely overhauling, but the general idea behind current affairs discussion is timeless.

Irish sport. Self explanatory. GAA, LoI, etc. Nothing fancy. Just show the games and have the odd behind the scenes sport stuff. Easy.

Irish culture and history shows a la Nationwide. Simple regional reporting made by a crew of a half dozen people on interesting things around our nation.

That's literally it. No joke you could probably do all that for about 5% of the current RTE budget.

That's what a national broadcaster should be about. I bet if RTE did that, because it would cost f**k all to produce, most people would be totally fine with it being funded from general taxation. It would be a rounding error in the national budget if done right.

But we all know it will never happen because it would require a total obliteration of the RTE gravy train and wink wink nudge nudge inner circle of overpaid presenters and management and bureaucracy and nepotism.

I don't think Fair City takes up as much of RTÉ's budget as EastEnders does of the BBC's.

As for sport, RTÉ can't not show World Cup and European Championship (not to be mixed up with Champions League) football - nothing to do with wanting to preserve a 'gravy train' but everything to do with public opinion.

As for alleged bias, I don't think RTÉ could be accused of letting the government off the hook, given its coverage of the long-term historic crisis in the health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't think Fair City takes up as much of RTÉ's budget as EastEnders does of the BBC's.

As for sport, RTÉ can't not show World Cup and European Championship (not to be mixed up with Champions League) football - nothing to do with wanting to preserve a 'gravy train' but everything to do with public opinion.

As for alleged bias, I don't think RTÉ could be accused of letting the government off the hook, given its coverage of the long-term historic crisis in the health service.

The sports crew could easily be halved at the minute. There is little or nothing going on. And with the second wave there will be less. I always had Saturday or Sunday sport on. You'd have hurling, gaelic, soccer, golf, rugby etc on a loop. You'd get interspersions of matches going on in other places, John Keith giving updates on soccer. Marty Morrisey reporting a recent goal at Semple stadium. I wouldn't have an interest in all those sports but it was still always very exciting whether at home or in the car. Now it's alll doom and gloom and mental health.

I see tonight was the last night of RTE Gold filling in the blanks. A premature move, I think. If things stay going the way they are there will be another shutdown in sport very soon. That slot was one of the best things RTE ever did. I spent many a summer Saturday evening in the car with my 19 yr old daughter listening to music she'd never heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

How can so many of us see exactly what's wrong with RTE, and yet the Government ignore it?

Is long past time that we all put massive pressure on the Minister to act.

Thanks,

G.

Long past time that we all started putting some pressure on the Minister, to take action here and force RTE to cut costs.

A simple email or letter from everyone here, would be a great start - so come on everyone, let's go for it...

Minister's Office
    Minister

Email: Minister.Ryan@dccae.gov.ie

Telephone: +353 1 678 9807 or fax +353 1 678 2029

Address: Minister's Office, Department of Communications, Climate action and Environment, 29-31 Adelaide Road
    Dublin D02 X285

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

garrettod wrote: »
    Long past time that we all started putting some pressure on the Minister, to take action here and force RTE to cut costs.

A simple email or letter from everyone here, would be a great start - so come on everyone, let's go for it...

Waste of time trying to reach him, the dozy gimp is never awake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

bigroad wrote: »
    Perry is pushed to the top at every chance.
    She and her family are connected in the right circle s you can be guaranteed of that.

Don’t forget ger agent Noel Kelly - of course it’s Noel Kelly, who else would it be? :rolleyes:

Good article in the Sunday Indo by Eoghan Harris, behind a paywall unfortunately

Headline

RTÉ is feeding Covid panic by failing to give good news

I hope Dee reads it. And changes the current adverts for the truth from RTÉ News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Good article in the Sunday Indo by Eoghan Harris, behind a paywall unfortunately

Headline

RTÉ is feeding Covid panic by failing to give good news

I hope Dee reads it. And changes the current adverts for the truth from RTÉ News
    Eoghan "are we rerecording this?" Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buddabelly wrote: »
    Fact is next to no one would pay 52 quid a year for a RTE subscription, its pure rubbish, the nerve of them running a advertising campaign with them as the provider of Real news and facts, do they think we are that dumb to not remember the lack of RTE coverage of the IMF coming in to bail out the country?
    Not a peep on RTE news and it was the main story on EVERY satellite station, i even got a phone call from a relation abroad asking what the story as it the main story on the news in the country they are living in.
    RTE are nothing but a mouth piece of the government and a golden circle for those in the clique.

Is this the same RTE that brought Patrick Honahan onto Morning Ireland to tell us what was going on with the IMF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Won't he have to be pushed out soon? He's near the retirement age, RTE have a 'retire at 65'... so won't he be out in a few months?
    fritzelly wrote: »
    He's a contractor so no

Joe Duffy has moaned a few times that he is not permanent staff. Said he was lied to and told he would earn more as a contractor and now feels hard done by
    ‘The reason RTE have given me a contract like this is they want to be able to get rid of me tomorrow if needs be,’ he said.

‘If they decide I’m not flavour of the month. I know if RTE drops me tomorrow, I’m gone

https://extra.ie/2019/10/15/entertainment/celebrity/joe-duffy-defends-rte-salary

Also says he has sleepless nights before they publish the radio listenership figures in case Liveline tanks down the ratings.

Poor Joe. :( "Pinned to his collar" with stress as he does be saying de time o time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy has moaned a few times that he is not permanent staff. Said he was lied to and told he would earn more as a contractor and now feels hard done by

Also says he has sleepless nights before they publish the radio listenership figures in case Liveline tanks down the ratings.

Poor Joe. :( "Pinned to his collar" with stress as he does be saying de time o time

De great salt of the earth working class man of the people with the working class work ethic as he likes to say himself. And by “working class” he means a millionaire, and by “working class work ethic” he means working 75mins a day for approx. 40 weeks per year. And like all “salt of the earth”s he’s more handsomely rewarded for his services than the leader of the country, paid fees rather than subjected to the PAYE system, has an agent, employs a high-level accountant to facilitate tax avoidance, and has a holiday home in a gated community near Bergerac in France.

As for the “I could be let go tomorrow” line, there hasn’t been a single profile broadcaster in RTÉ ever let go. Pat Kenny left for more money, but that was his choice. And despite what Dee Forbes would let you believe amazingly RTE didn’t shut down after Pat left. :rolleyes:

Waste of time trying to reach him, the dozy gimp is never awake.

The only way anything changes, is when we force change

If left to his own devices, God knows what our current ejit might conclude, so tell him what you want to see done with your state owned broadcaster, that you pay for, and put the pressure on!

An email that just takes a couple of minutes from each of us, would be a big step forward, rather than us all just giving out here, and doing nothing more.

Email: Minister.Ryan@dccae.gov.ie

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ministers.office@chg.gov.ie Catherine Martin is now minister for media, broadcasting has moved to this Dept

Elmo wrote: »
    ministers.office@chg.gov.ie Catherine Martin is now minister for media, broadcasting has moved to this Dept

Oh, sorry, I hadn't realised that.

Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

J_M_G wrote: »
    Irish broadcasting and RTE reform should be very simple.

There should be reform but it sounds to me like what you are suggesting is exactly what RTÉ provide.
    The only programming should be news bulletins, current affairs and discussion type shows, shows about Irish culture, regional affairs and history and Irish sport.

Bizarrely, RTÉ have cut down on their news bulletins, yet they created a full time 24 hour news channel! RTÉ ONE's main schedule is news and current affairs, then hour long docs, Nationwide, history and Sport all exist, rarely does RTÉ stray into non-Irish sports with the exception of Champions League. But really there is not much else on RTÉ.
    That's it. No dramas, no soaps, no movies, no foreign sport, no low brow content like reality tv.

Why not, it's unlike that any other broadcasters will pick up the tab for local drama, soap is soap, imports outside of movies need to go, as I say there is little foreign sport on RTÉ, why not low brow content? Just because you think its low brow, how about a quiz show, or some satire or comedy. RTÉ do little in this regard in any case, bar the annual muppetry that is DWTS.
    No ads either. Downsize it by 50-75% and fund it via general taxation. Scrap the license fee and all associated collection costs.

News bulletins every 2 hours at 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm and 9pm.
    Nice and simple, focused exclusively on national news with international if it's something major and important.

I'd love to see RTÉ have news bulletins at the times you suggest, as I say RTÉ have cut down on those, suggesting online first. Is it not very narrow to only examine your own national news, why not have some reports from other Euro nations on RTÉ also. When you say bulletin do you mean 30mins or 10mins or just 5mins? Because on TV RTÉ don't have any news before 1pm!!!

Current affairs shows on politics, culture and social issues of the day. These should be 1-2 hour longform discussion shows.....

Yeah, I agree, TV3 really allowed this happen with The Tonight Show with VB, though I think 2 hours might be a bit long for talking heads, only so much an audience can take. Largely RTÉ do this with TWIP, Claire Byrne and Prime Time. But could easily add culture programs like that of Arena to their service.
    Irish sport. Self explanatory. GAA, LoI, etc. Nothing fancy. Just show the games and have the odd behind the scenes sport stuff. Easy.

Actually brings people to a sport, the fanciness. People would be up in arms if RTÉ dropped their analysis, and why should they? In terms of Irish Sport, largely RTÉ don't show other sports, save for Champions League which they don't hold the full rights to, and they have agreement with EBU for big events like Olympics and WC.
    Irish culture and history shows a la Nationwide. Simple regional reporting made by a crew of a half dozen people on interesting things around our nation

You seem to be describing RTÉ to me, RTÉ don't really do much else.
    That's literally it. No joke you could probably do all that for about 5% of the current RTE budget.

Perhaps but reform would help, though do you really want an IRISH TV type channel? Should we not aim for more?
    That's what a national broadcaster should be about. I bet if RTE did that, because it would cost f**k all to produce, most people would be totally fine with it being funded from general taxation. It would be a rounding error in the national budget if done right.

Low cost and cheap would be complaint, the lack of other programming on the channels or channel.
    But we all know it will never happen because it would require a total obliteration of the RTE gravy train and wink wink nudge nudge inner circle of overpaid presenters and management and bureaucracy and nepotism.

I agree reform needs to happen but I'd rather see RTÉ's budget work than slash it for what we already have.

Oh! all the ad revenue with head to English broadcasters, but I've mention that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Another new face on RTE.

Elizabeth Coleman, presenting the weather.

Another new face on RTE.

Elizabeth Coleman, presenting the weather.

Is she RTÉ or Met Éireann?

Seems she's been with Morning Ireland for a while.

Met Éireann forecaster.

The Budget has move the NSO to the NCH. In effect this give RTÉ a saving of €8m. Though they way it is phrased it sounds more like. In 2021 the Department of arts will spend €8m on moving the NSO to the NCH from RTÉ, which sounds to me like we are going to pay accountants €8m to transfer something we own from something we own to something we own!

I hope that RTÉ and the NCH finance teams will work together to keep the €8m for the NSO rather than in one year spending 16m on the NSO twice the normal amount.

• Advertisement

The Budget has move the NSO to the NCH. In effect this give RTÉ a saving of €8m. Though they way it is phrased it sounds more like. In 2021 the Department of arts will spend €8m on moving the NSO to the NCH from RTÉ, which sounds to me like we are going to pay accountants €8m to transfer something we own from something we own to something we own!

I hope that RTÉ and the NCH finance teams will work together to keep the €8m for the NSO rather than in one year spending 16m on the NSO twice the normal amount.

It’s a well known accounting technique to move something around like this. It ought to be called, “Three cups and a walnut” accounting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Some good research on this article..

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/is-the-move-by-the-rt%C3%A9-nso-to-the-nch-a-reverse-takeover-1.3588800

Maysa07 wrote: »

I did not know
    In November, RTɒs orchestral players were told by RTÉ executives that there would just be a single orchestra left by June 2018. That same month RTÉ commissioned the review of its orchestral provision

However, I kind of knew that the document was presenting a final view that had been established before it was written, with a few other options outline that were never going to be consider.

Weather its a merge or takeover the €8m should be provided for the running of the NSO to the NCH, not a case of €8m being given for a year long take over for an accountancy firm.

Also will the NCH be taking on any of RTÉ's debt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's gas,

RTÉ are fearful of losing their top 'talent' so thats how they justify paying them obscene fee's... (I say fee's because they are mostly not RTÉ employee's, they are contractors working for their own limited companies).

If we don't give Tubbers €500k a year, he'll be off to the BBC... They'll poach him from us!!.....

Yet when Tubbers did his little fill in for the BBC for a few weeks a few years back (while someone in the BBC was off sick or on holidays or something?). RTÉ were more than happy to Tubbers broadcast to the BBC via an RTÉ studio in Montrose.....

You'd have thought they'd be against letting a rival (for their top 'talent'), borrow said 'talent' and then allow said 'talent' to use RTÉ facilities while working for said rival.....

Or who knows, maybe they want the BBC to poach him??

It's gas,

RTÉ are fearful of losing their top 'talent' so thats how they justify paying them obscene fee's... (I say fee's because they are mostly not RTÉ employee's, they are contractors working for their own limited companies).

If we don't give Tubbers €500k a year, he'll be off to the BBC... They'll poach him from us!!.....

Yet when Tubbers did his little fill in for the BBC for a few weeks a few years back (while someone in the BBC was off sick or on holidays or something?). RTÉ were more than happy to Tubbers broadcast to the BBC via an RTÉ studio in Montrose.....

You'd have thought they'd be against letting a rival (for their top 'talent'), borrow said 'talent' and then allow said 'talent' to use RTÉ facilities while working for said rival.....

Or who knows, maybe they want the BBC to poach him??

They can have rainbow Ryan, he's an weak chinned eyesore:D of a Friday night so he is!

• Advertisement

So I calculate that public funding at RTÉ will be up by at least 20m in 2021 from 2018.

In budget 2019 TG4 share of the license fee was given back to RTÉ it was worth 4.5m in 2018
    At the end of 2019 after presure from RTÉ the government gave them €10m for 2020.
    In 2021 the NSO moves to the NCH worth about 7m in expenditure.

that 20 to 22m in public funding RTÉ will be up, I doubt anyone will be talking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Can anyone tell me why I see "Programme Resumes Shortly"/"Fann Linn" during commercial breaks when streaming RTE/TG4 programmes rather than revenue earning ads?

rdwight wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why I see "Programme Resumes Shortly"/"Fann Linn" during commercial breaks when streaming RTE/TG4 programmes rather than revenue earning ads?

Many of those who would normally advertise don't have any major revenue coming in.
    So they can't pay for adverts since.

RTE can't air adverts if they don't have em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Many of those who would normally advertise don't have any major revenue coming in.

They usually have plenty of RTE show promotions they put on during ad slots, is there only so many of them they are allowed show an hour?

Thanks. But this issue pre-dates Covid ad crisis. It has been true as long as I've been streaming. I've never been able to understand it. I believe a significant percentage of RTE viewers access content by streaming so should be attractive option for advertisers (when they have revenue themselves).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They pay for advertising on broadcast tv and they pay for advertising on streaming - simples

They pay for advertising on broadcast tv and they pay for advertising on streaming - simples

Are you say that because ads on streamed content are paid for separately then RTE sell less of them? Why would that be the case? There might be advantages to advertising on streamed content (e.g. better targetting) Anyway, if advertisers aren't as keen surely RTE could adjust pricing models to attract ads.

Are you say that because ads on streamed content are paid for separately then RTE sell less of them? Why would that be the case? There might be advantages to advertising on streamed content (e.g. better targetting) Anyway, if advertisers aren't as keen surely RTE could adjust pricing models to attract ads.

I assume you are talking about live tv schedules.

So for example if I decide to set up my monitor to watch RTÉ ONE, 2, VM ONE, VM TWO, VM THREE and TG4 live the ads during live broadcast get the following screens.

I think VM seem to be adding Player ads separate to the programmes, but the question remains why can't their live broadcast ads play?

I heard it was down to clearance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ishma_1963

I think scrapping TG4 would be awful. And let's see these orchestras put to better use.

Ishma_1963 wrote: »
    I think scrapping TG4 would be awful. And let's see these orchestras put to better use.

NSO is moving to NCH in 2021. NCO remains with RTÉ, and trust me as soon as they get more money RTÉ will stop pimping the NCO out as much as they have in the past few years.

• Advertisement

I assume you are talking about live tv schedules.

So for example if I decide to set up my monitor to watch RTÉ ONE, 2, VM ONE, VM TWO, VM THREE and TG4 live the ads during live broadcast get the following screens.

I think VM seem to be adding Player ads separate to the programmes, but the question remains why can't their live broadcast ads play?

I heard it was down to clearance issues.

Thanks Elmo. I'm pretty sure I get the same Fann Linn type screen on both live and player streams

I'm not sure what you mean by clearance issues. Do you mean licensing?

I'm still mystified (and, given RTE's constant warnings about revenue, annoyed) by this. At first I assumed it was some technical issue to do with the settings on my devices, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

What makes it more mystifying is that I watch Channel4 quite a bit and they manage to deliver ads (for Irish goods and services).

It doesn't seem to be technical problem (Channel4 gets around whatever ad-blocking etc I have on my devices)

It can hardly be licensing issue (ditto re Channel4)

It surely can't be a sales issue. If I still ran a business I'd be on like a shot to RTE advertising department to see if I could buy time to sell to the very large audience that strewam RTE programmes.

Any answers please?

Any answers please?

I don't think I have watch C4 live stream online (I don't think its available on the Irish Version of All4). In any case it could be similar to Virgin Media were the block of broadcast TV ads are replaced by online ads, I'd watch Virgin Media TV again for you but... I just can't sorry, sitting in front of 5 ads before the live version of muck TV comes on would kill me.

Both RTÉ and TG4 don't swap out the ads instead they put that screen up, however if you stream a show from either you will get a few ads mid-stream but not the FAN LINN/HOLDER SCREEN screen as posted above.

At least I have never seen it on anything I have stream on either player, except for live broadcast streams.

And I believe the reason is copyright!

I don't think I have watch C4 live stream online (I don't think its available on the Irish Version of All4). In any case it could be similar to Virgin Media were the block of broadcast TV ads are replaced by online ads, I'd watch Virgin Media TV again for you but... I just can't sorry, sitting in front of 5 ads before the live version of muck TV comes on would kill me.

Both RTÉ and TG4 don't swap out the ads instead they put that screen up, however if you stream a show from either you will get a few ads mid-stream but not the FAN LINN/HOLDER SCREEN screen as posted above.

At least I have never seen it on anything I have stream on either player, except for live broadcast streams.

And I believe the reason is copyright!

Thanks Elmo.

I stream Channel4 both live using UK ip and in "player" mode using ROI ip.
    There are ads on both and they are aimed at ROI audience when I use ROI ip.

I can't for the like of me see why RTE can't manage the same. Why aren't RTE selling advertising time to the advertisers who are buying ROI advertising time from Channel4?

I don't understand what copyright issue are invvovled. Programme content is more likely to be subject to copyright than advertisements surely?

I don't understand what copyright issue are invvovled. Programme content is more likely to be subject to copyright than advertisements surely?

Could be and very likely the music - licenced for broadcast on tv but not the web

As for the advertising time - maybe the advertisers are targetting the C4 demographic (we all know what the RTE demographic is...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Slightly off topic but I recently watched an episode of Seinfeld on all4. The picture was perfect, or as perfect as it could be for something that was made in the 90s. Then I watched the next episode on RTE player (Same device. Same TV) and I'd say it was in 480i. There were pixels everywhere. You might get away with it on a tablet or phone but it was a disgrace on a 43in TV.

As for the ads I never look at them. Let the dog out, Make tea or find something else to do while they're on.

We must boycott The Late Late Toy Show.

Week after week since March The Late Late Toy Show has been mentioned. Toy man tubs has pimped out this show to the n'th degree. As if the world would come to an end if it didn't air.

Please, please ask your friends, your families, your collueges to boycott TLLTS.

Go further and beg them to stop watching TLLS.

I don't get the infatuation, one reported said this week on calling for the show to be put on a break.
    I say this as a long-time viewer of the show, who has a patriotic affection for it as a national institution. I don't buy into the reflexive sneering and jeering: I'm proud we have the longest-running chat show in the world. It's part of us.

It's just a TV show and not a very good one.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/time-for-rte-to-press-the-off-switch-on-the-late-late-show-39634464.html

We must boycott The Late Late Toy Show.

Week after week since March The Late Late Toy Show has been mentioned. Toy man tubs has pimped out this show to the n'th degree. As if the world would come to an end if it didn't air.

Please, please ask your friends, your families, your collueges to boycott TLLTS.

Go further and beg them to stop watching TLLS.

I don't get the infatuation, one reported said this week on calling for the show to be put on a break.

It's just a TV show and not a very good one.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/time-for-rte-to-press-the-off-switch-on-the-late-late-show-39634464.html

A “Toycott”, so to speak

Tubridy announcing the 'Toy show will definitely go ahead' is very, very arrogant.

He can't predict that.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it was cancelled.

Could be and very likely the music - licenced for broadcast on tv but not the web

As for the advertising time - maybe the advertisers are targetting the C4 demographic (we all know what the RTE demographic is...)

Thanks fitz

Why wouldn't music (in ads you mean presumably) be a copyright problem for Channel 4 as well as RTE?

If the demographic was a problem then surely RTE could price their ad time to outweigh that. The number of people streaming RTE in ROI would be much larger than those streaming Channel 4

I can't see why lack of willing advertisers should be a problem. If you have trouble selling a product you price it accordingly. From a revenue point of view, getting a pittance from the local butcher for advertising space is better than a Fann Linn board.

• Advertisement

During the worst of the virus early on RTE had hardly any ads on radio and tv bar ads for their own shows
    Other stations seemed to have plenty so likely the cost

Advertisement