Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Stargate' to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Some vague new info on this..

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/406469-independence-day-2-scribes-board-stargate-reboot

For me while i hate them ignoring the tv shows.. i guess any new stargate is good.
    “These new films will build upon the creativity and popularity of the first film,” teased Silverman last year, “while delivering an original film-going experience for fans and those new to the franchise.””

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Might be just the time to finally get a top Stargate game aswell. Something co-op online, with procedurally generated worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 B4nt3rB0t

I'd prefer if they just finished universe :P Massive fan of all series though, and i'm glad to see stargate fans are a thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Roland Emmerich is Rebooting the Stargate Franchise From Scratch
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/roland-emmerich-is-rebooting-the-stargate-universe-from-1782242309
    “It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Interesting. You now have my attention.

Im all for new Stargate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

no no no no no no no

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ah I don't mind. Stargate is pretty much done as is anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just make more Stargate Universe and stop with the endless reboots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm ok with this. As Myrddin says, the franchise is finished in it's current form, so a reboot is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with everyone; Find someone to throw $5m at a 2.5 hour finale to SG:U. Continuum was a great way to wrap up the entire SG1 story arc, and while there wasn't quite as much of a backstory built up behind SGU, I think a satisfying closure of the whole thing would make the idea of a reboot sting a lot less.

• Advertisement

Looks like the remake is off again
    Oh, Stargate, why hast thou forsaken us? Despite the fact that that 1994 film from director Roland Emmerich and writer/producer Dean Devlin gave us three live action and one animated television series, plus a wide variety of novels and comic books that fans happily consumed, the franchise now seems to feel too above us to give any more. This despite the fact we’d been teased with rumblings of MGM and Warner Bros partnering with Emmerich and Devlin for a brand new trilogy. But now, in an exclusive interview with Empire, Devlin reveals that plans for a remake have fallen through.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/remake-stargate-happening-know-exclusive/

http://collider.com/stargate-reboot-cancelled/#dean-devlin

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

I would really love to see this movie happen. Someone should set up a petition and send it to Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

doyler55 wrote: »
    I would really love to see this movie happen. Someone should set up a petition and send it to Hollywood

Me too the more Stargate and Star Trek out there the better.
    Would love to see Stargate get 3 movies its a nice round number not too little or to many. You could do a story arc with a beginning a middle and an end or have 3 seperate movies.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I'm pretty happy that they're not making a complete reboot. I'm part of the minority that enjoyed SGU. It was ridiculous but I liked it. It was trying to be gritty and dark like BSG but it could shake its comedy roots so it was neither one thing or the other and that's why it tanked.
    I'd like to see another tv series continuing on from where they left off. I like to see them focus more on the philosophical, political, and economic aspects of communicating with aliens who are now a short hop away from us. I also liked the comedy side of Stargate so it'll be hard to go dark too. Maybe it would be cool to emulate a kind of West Wing political drama? "Stargate: Open Borders" (a not-too-subtle jab at the current state of the US government... a Teal'c-esque character can be played by a Mexican actor)
    But maybe it's still too early for any new Stargates...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

With Star Wars and Star Trek back on our screens (or soon to be in the latter's case) maybe the time is right for Stargate to return as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

With Star Wars and Star Trek back on our screens (or soon to be in the latter's case) maybe the time is right for Stargate to return as well.

Yeah but it can't be an Emmerich job, or anything like the tv series if it's going to be a massive blockbuster like Trek or Wars.
    Maybe make it a job for Aronofsky or Danny Boyle... or maybe someone slightly alternative like Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective) or Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive) or Joseph Kosinski (Tron) or Chan-wook Park (Stoker) or George Miller (Mad Max)... There just needs to be a bit of a stylistic spin on Stargate so it doesn't look like it's following the successes of Trek and Wars (I think the third Trek was even just following its own success...)
    Even though Kosinski made Oblivion (which was beautiful to look at and listen to but was ultimately hollow, a bit like Tron too in fact...) I appreciate his architectural background and I think he might bring something new to Stargate.

I also won't stand for an all white cast either with the additional indigenous "other" character... It's cliche and totally un-PC at this point.
    I'd like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor or John Cho at the helm or even a female main character to shake it up a bit - Thandie Newton or Gina Torres or Taraji P Henson or Angela Bassett or Sophie Okonedo or Maggie Q or Moon Bloodgood (I love Moon don't ask why). Though Henson is a popular pick atm Torres looks the part. Torres is tall and commanding looking and she had quite a similar role in Firefly (but obviously this can't look like a SyFy B-movie) so you'd need a few big names in the supporting cast too.

As for the plot, any thoughts? Do we need an origin story? A recap of everything? Or just get thrown in the deep end, no explanation..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I just want the TV show back :o

Looks like there will be some news tomorrow - hopefully more than just a game of some kind http://stargate.mgm.com/
    On July 20th at San Diego Comic-Con there will be an announcement from Stargate Command. Sign up to receive an alert when we activate the Stargate.

Ms

LazyClouds wrote: »
    Yeah but it can't be an Emmerich job, or anything like the tv series if it's going to be a massive blockbuster like Trek or Wars.
    Maybe make it a job for Aronofsky or Danny Boyle... or maybe someone slightly alternative like Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective) or Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive) or Joseph Kosinski (Tron) or Chan-wook Park (Stoker) or George Miller (Mad Max)... There just needs to be a bit of a stylistic spin on Stargate so it doesn't look like it's following the successes of Trek and Wars (I think the third Trek was even just following its own success...)
    Even though Kosinski made Oblivion (which was beautiful to look at and listen to but was ultimately hollow, a bit like Tron too in fact...) I appreciate his architectural background and I think he might bring something new to Stargate.

I also won't stand for an all white cast either with the additional indigenous "other" character... It's cliche and totally un-PC at this point.
    I'd like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor or John Cho at the helm or even a female main character to shake it up a bit - Thandie Newton or Gina Torres or Taraji P Henson or Angela Bassett or Sophie Okonedo or Maggie Q or Moon Bloodgood (I love Moon don't ask why). Though Henson is a popular pick atm Torres looks the part. Torres is tall and commanding looking and she had quite a similar role in Firefly (but obviously this can't look like a SyFy B-movie) so you'd need a few big names in the supporting cast too.

As for the plot, any thoughts? Do we need an origin story? A recap of everything? Or just get thrown in the deep end, no explanation..?

Even though Kosinski made Oblivion (which was beautiful to look at and listen to but was ultimately hollow, a bit like Tron too in fact...)

I think they were both very good films. One of my regrets is not going to the cinema to see Tron. Still when I did eventually see the film I really enjoyed. I did see Oblivion in the cinema do and loved it.

JohnK wrote: »
    Looks like there will be some news tomorrow - hopefully more than just a game of some kind http://stargate.mgm.com/

Interesting. I say it will either be a new movie or the original movie is getting a reboot maybe make a trilogy out of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

BTW if anyone wants to know what happened after the finale of SGU theres a new comic telling the story, havent tried it yet but Im dying to know what its like:

https://www.americanmythology.net/product-page/stargate-universe-back-to-destiny-1-scalf-main-cover-pre-order

• Advertisement
    Ms

SO is this the big Stargate news that was released yesterday.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/21/stargate-origins-command/

A new series. Don,t get your hopes up to high do. Its just looks like a mini mini series lol. Each episode only 10 minutes long.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement