Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self installation of alarm system possible?

Options
  • 14-12-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Phonewatch wireless system installed for the past 10 years. When I built the house I wired it for alarm but went with the wireless Phonewatch system. Can I buy and install a system myself in my own house? I wired and self certified my own house when I built it in 2008. I am an electrician working in industrial maintenance so am not registered with any of the usual bodies.

If it’s possible for me to do myself where is the best place to buy a system and are there any recommended systems. I want to go away from monitored and change to a system that alerts me and my partner of an alarm event.

Comments

I'm the same as you (sparks in industrial) .
    Did you not do alarms in tech ? I did in phase 4 anyway.
    I bought and installed a HKC secure wave last year.
    Very straight forward, I got the SIM card modual off adverts for self monitoring .

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Very straight forward, I got the SIM card modual off adverts for self monitoring .

Yea I did indeed I’d have no bother in doing the work. Was just wondering if it was allowed that’s all. I’ll look into the HCK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

medoc wrote: »
    Yea I did indeed I’d have no bother in doing the work. Was just wondering if it was allowed that’s all. I’ll look into the HCK

Yes legally you are allowed to do a self install, it is only when you are getting paid to do security work is when eye brows are raised.

HKC would be your best option.

https://www.hkcsecurity.com/en-ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

I have the ajax system, and found it really easy to install.
    I have wireless contacts on all the doors, and wireless motion sensors downstairs, like you i have wired infrastructure inplace and know that ajax do a multitransmitter that you can hookup to and be able to use this, with wired sensors, this then goes into the ajax app and you will be notified if there is a warning on these wired sensors. (ive not set this up yet but something for the future.) Also i have fireangel firealarms and you can hook this also up to the multitransmitter too, with the help of a relay, or you can use the ajax fire alarm sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Daveocwex

Apologies for piggy backing your comment. Just wonder if I could ask a question. I’m
    Looking to add a dim / gsm module aswell.!do the generically fit all hkc’s. I have a new 10270, and wondering will the gsm q module work ? Apologies again for jump in your reply with a question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Same with electric gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KristapsV

GSM-Q will fit HKC 1070 and 10270.

Advertisement