Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who manufacturers the new LED streetlights?

Options
  • 07-11-2020 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

I think I read on boards previously the manufacturer and model of the new white LED streetlights being fitted across the country in place of the old orange sodium lights.

I'd consider buying a few or something of a similar spec if available. Can anyone shed some light on them for me? :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Thorn are one of the well recognized brands. There's lots of different spec's of streetlight. Normally a designer will do a design based on the area to be lit and the standard of lighting required etc.

Go into any good electrical wholesaler and they can help you. Kelliher electrical have branches around the country. They are very good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phillips and Thorn are the two main manufacturers I believe. There are distinct types for retrofit in to existing luminaries and total replacement; different councils have different preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Theres at least two types in my estate, smaller ones on the non-through roads and taller brighter ones on the through roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They're hideous. Please bring back the old yellow sodium lights. They're a much nicer, more diffuse, warmer colour than the cold harshness of the new LEDs :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They're hideous. Please bring back the old yellow sodium lights. They're a much nicer, more diffuse, warmer colour than the cold harshness of the new LEDs :(

You can easily get LED's to match the colour and diffusion of Sodium lights if you want that.

However studies have shown that the white colour of standard LED's have significant safety advantages. They double driver peripheral vision and improve driver brake reaction time by at least 25%, reduce pedestrian trips and increase peoples feeling of safety.

Mostly it just comes down to what people are use to, I'm sure if the change was the other way around, from bright white to the weird orange colour, people would be freaked out by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

You'd wonder about the impact on birds, wild life and humans though. The birds have been singing all night since my street went from sodium lights to white LEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

There is a national upgrade of public lighting in early stages. Different specs and warmth of light have been allocated for different lighting situations. White LEDs use less energy, but they have a selected yellower hues to be the default as less harsh on the eye etc. It was discussed at https://www.engineersireland.ie/listings/event/7190 but not sure if public slides/video.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's not just as simple as picking a warmer colour temperature either. LEDs emit less light (lumens) at lower colour temperatures per unit energy. So putting out 5,000lm at 2700k would cost more than 5,000lm at 6000k.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

bk wrote: »
    You can easily get LED's to match the colour and diffusion of Sodium lights if you want that.

However studies have shown that the white colour of standard LED's have significant safety advantages. They double driver peripheral vision and improve driver brake reaction time by at least 25%, reduce pedestrian trips and increase peoples feeling of safety.

Mostly it just comes down to what people are use to, I'm sure if the change was the other way around, from bright white to the weird orange colour, people would be freaked out by it.

I think the white lights are fine on main roads, but in residential estates they should stay orange. Or even just a warmer white. All of the lights on my street except the one outside my house have changed and theyre so cold. The place is a lot gloomier too. my light was changed two or three years ago so missed the change to white. it's more of a really warm white instead of orange and it is so much better. hopefully it stays that way. the new ones are so bright, neighbours have been complaning about them shining in windows. I could be wrong too but they also don't seem to light up an area as well as the old lights and cast longer shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We're just used to warm lighting. Give it a few years and you'll not notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

440Hertz wrote: »
    You'd wonder about the impact on birds, wild life and humans though. The birds have been singing all night since my street went from sodium lights to white LEDs.

LED's are more directional than the older sodium lamps, so they avoid lighting upwards, which is a help to wildlife such as birds, they can also be pointed more accurately at the street they are lighting (if properly aligned).

Advertisement