Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help required Installing Linux mint 19.2

Options
  • 28-11-2019 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Im trying to install Linux mint 19.2 on a brand new HP G7 windows 10 laptop but having problems.

Main spec
    OS Windows 10
    Ryzen 3-2200U cpu, Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Graphics Chipset Brand AMD
    Graphics Card RADEON VEGA 3.

1..I setup USB boot media & changed bios to boot from USB
    2..Laptop boots to basic black screen displaying GNU Grub menu with 4 options
    3..I have tried option 1, 2 & 4 omitting option 3 (OEM install)
    4.. each of the 3 options I tried goes to dark screen & a message flashes briefly on screen too quick to read then screen goes dark again & remains that way.

I asked this question over on the actual linux mint forum & got a one word reply "nomodeset.".
    I googled this & it points to an fix for booting into the installation gui & continue installing Linux mint.
    I dont want to continue without more information so asking if anyone has previous knowledge of this work around.
    It seems the problem is the install file doesnt have a video card driver
    to display the GUI & this causes the installation to hang.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Adding nomodeset to the boot parameters should work.

You can do this by using the 'E' (edit) key on your selected boot option and using the arrow keys to position the cursor and type in nomodeset then use Ctrl+x to boot with that extra parameter included.

Else try a different distro ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Thanks,....I'll go that route, as far as I can make out the system restarts after the initial install & whilst restarting I hold down the shift key & repeat the nomodeset option again to continue with the 1st full boot, when fully booted I then update the graphics driver to the correct one,..from then on there is no need to use nomodeset,...can you confirm this?............thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

lensman wrote: »
    Thanks,....I'll go that route, as far as I can make out the system restarts after the initial install & whilst restarting I hold down the shift key & repeat the nomodeset option again to continue with the 1st full boot, when fully booted I then update the graphics driver to the correct one,..from then on there is no need to use nomodeset,...can you confirm this?............thanks

Let me know how this goes. I wiped my own Windows 10 machine in favour of Fedora 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

lensman wrote: »

Sorry, no I cannot.
    I do not use Mint, what I described is a general method of adding an extra boot parameter that is not presently in the grub.cfg file for that boot option.

Setting up the correct graphics driver should give a good result ...... if not then you can add the parameter using the grub customizer utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Let me know how this goes. I wiped my own Windows 10 machine in favour of Fedora 30.
    Ok finally had success with this, *some systems have no issues with installing linux mint 19.2,this if only if you have the blank screen issues.*

First thing to do is change the boot order in the bios to cd/dvd or USB stick whichever your using, *disable secure boot* *enable legacy boot* f10 to save & continue with boot. hopefully you'll get the screen in the video below, follow the instructions there but basically after the installation a restart is required & must be interrupted (f10) to use the nomodeset again to continue with the 1st full post installation boot.
    https://linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/rosa/nomodeset_efi.webm

After I had done all this I still had problems (blank screen at boot) & to solve this I had to restart using the nomodeset option to allow the full boot to continue, when booted I had to open Update Manager > Vew > Linux kernels to get to the dialog where I could install the latest 5.0.x or 5.3.
    I updated the kernel to 5.3 & restarted the computer & this time it booted fully without the need to interrupt & use nomodeset......hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement