Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options
  • 15-01-2021 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Today is the day that all pup and wage subsidy receivers are ment to get bill from revenue. Anyone received it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Revenue website is up and down for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Still no SOL for 2020 unless it will be after 9?

I went in to check through the review section and when I clicked 'view' it said "we are processed your request and your SOL will be available after January 15th. I dont know if I did it arseways and submitted my tax return for 2020 too early and now I'll have to wait?

I'm applying for the HTB so was anxious to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I tried to check now, and the site seems to be down, but I was logged in before 7 this morning, and it I took a look and my preliminary SOL was there for 2020.

They're telling me I've overpaid for 2020 and I'm due a refund, which I'm baffled about. I received EWSS/TWSS for 4 or 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Yes I checked earlier nothing. Now its down so I'd say because they trying to issue them plus people logging in constantly too much traffic in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I tried to check now, and the site seems to be down, but I was logged in before 7 this morning, and it I took a look and my preliminary SOL was there for 2020.

They're telling me I've overpaid for 2020 and I'm due a refund, which I'm baffled about. I received EWSS/TWSS for 4 or 5 months.

Sounds like your employer submit the wrong payroll data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

Anyone who completed their income tax return for 2020, their statement of liability won't be available until around afternoon / evening time.

Preliminary end of year statements will issue throughout the course of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Site is completely available for me every time I've tried to check it (4 or 5 times so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I managed to get on but where on the site can you check for any tax owed for 2020? I've been on PUP for most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

mea_k wrote: »
    Today is the day that all pup and wage subsidy receivers are ment to get bill from revenue. Anyone received it yet?
    The website can't use my MyGovID password. It's not wrong, but they apparently they can't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I can't see the issue anyone can have.

If you were claiming normal jobseekers allowance, that would be taxed too.

At the end of the day, no one is paying any additional taxes and anyone that was on the pup all year will have no tax due or a miniscule amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I managed to get on but where on the site can you check for any tax owed for 2020? I've been on PUP for most of the year.

PAYE services, Review your tax 2017-2020, click on request your Preliminary End of Year Statement

Review your tax 2017-2020 button should be on the home page when you log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

I received 700 illness benefit 2 weeks and 1750 in PUP 5 weeks. Total 2450 liable to tax.
    I got a bill for 865 under paid tax. Is this due to the fact I worked every other week of the year and the 2450 would be in the 40% tax bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Darc19 wrote: »

At the end of the day, no one is paying any additional taxes and anyone that was on the pup all year will have no tax due or a miniscule amount.

What about the situation where someone worked all through yet was having their wages supported by government. There were lots of employees in private sector who got pay cuts even though still working every day and having a large portion of the wages paid by government. These people took home less than normal due to employer basically getting free labour and are now going to have to pay tax. Employee loses out. Employer is the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

shmeee wrote: »
    Anyone who completed their income tax return for 2020, their statement of liability won't be available until around afternoon / evening time.

Preliminary end of year statements will issue throughout the course of the morning.

Thanks for this. Any idea when refunds will actually be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

At the end of the day, no one is paying any additional taxes and anyone that was on the pup all year will have no tax due or a miniscule amount.[/quote

What if you worked harder than ever during lockdown due to other staff working remotely or isolating for health reasons and now find yourself with a tax bill for thousands of euro??

its possible that people who were put on the employment scheme by their employers will owe more tax this year. If they were paid the same net then they owe the difference between what the employer paid and their topup will be taxed.

Thanks for this. Any idea when refunds will actually be paid?

A refund to the taxpayer? As in an overpayment of income tax in 2020?

A refund to the taxpayer? As in an overpayment of income tax in 2020?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

Siobh73 wrote: »

At the end of the day, no one is paying any additional taxes and anyone that was on the pup all year will have no tax due or a miniscule amount.[/quote

What if you worked harder than ever during lockdown due to other staff working remotely or isolating for health reasons and now find yourself with a tax bill for thousands of euro??

So salty Siobhan,

I've overpayed by some 835 euro as at the start of the year your tax presumes you'll make over a certain number and calculates tax for the year per week.

Ergo I was taxed in the higher bracket all year up to when I was put on the pup for 4 months.

I've just been told that even though it says i'm owed 835 euro apparently that's not final and may end up owing them money not sure how or why they'd
    be able to change anything after i've agreed with their judgement but we wait and see?

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    What about the situation where someone worked all through yet was having their wages supported by government. There were lots of employees in private sector who got pay cuts even though still working every day and having a large portion of the wages paid by government. These people took home less than normal due to employer basically getting free labour and are now going to have to pay tax. Employee loses out. Employer is the winner.

It was flagged that employees were not paying the correct income tax while on the TWSS and to leave an amount aside at the time. Some employees even got refunds back in tax on their payslips as many were placed on a week 1 / month 1 tax basis. People must have had their head in the sand if they taught they could get a wage and not pay tax on such, it's like any other welfare / support payment received. TWSS was rolled out quickly to get money into peoples pockets and keep businesses afloat. EWSS now operates again on real time PAYE basis for employees and employees are no longer on J9 PRSI class.

Is the wage subsidy taxable on the employee?

The payments are liable to income tax and USC; however, the subsidy is not taxable in real-time through the PAYE system during the period of the Subsidy scheme. Instead the employee will be liable for tax and USC on the subsidy amount paid to them by their employer by way of review at the end of the year.

With the continuation of the TWSS to the end of August 2020, and to mitigate the possible impact on the employee end of Year review placed all employees that received payments under either the TWSS or the DEASP Pandemic Unemployment Payment on a ‘non-cumulative’ Week 1 basis.

Updated RPNs, reflecting the Week 1 basis, were available in ROS from 21 June 2020. It is important that employers utilise the most up to date Revenue Payroll Notification (RPN) when running payroll so that employees are correctly switched to the Week 1 basis as quickly as possible. Where an employee is already on the Week 1 basis no further action is needed.

When an end of the year review takes place, it may be the case that an employee’s unused tax credits will cover any further liability that may arise. Where this is not the case, and should an Income Tax liability arise, it is normal Revenue practice to collect any tax owing in manageable amounts by reducing an individual’s tax credits for a future year(s) in order to minimise any hardship. Additionally, if an individual has any additional tax credits to claim, for example health expenses, this will also reduce any tax that may be owing.

In 2021, Revenue will make available the employee’s Preliminary End of Year Statement and following the
    employee’s completion of their 2020 income tax return, Revenue will generate the employee’s Statement of Liability for the tax year 2020. The employee can then pay this liability in full or partially when due. Any remaining unpaid liability balance will be collected by reducing the employee’s tax credits from tax year 2022.

Yes.

Any overpayments with be processed as soon as possible.

I take it you've completed your income tax return for 2020 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hope80

My issue is that because my employer availed of the subsidy they were only allowed to pay me my average net pay and now I am going to be landed with a tax liability on this so technically i have taken a pay cut while still working to the same level throughout the year. My husband is in the same situation so its a large hit to our household. I have no problem paying taxes etc on money I earn but this is totally unfair on how it was roled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Do you need to submit something on ROS or is it an automated notification for those who received WSS or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I’ve been trying to log on and can’t get on. Tried about 5 times. I’ll try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hope80

It was flagged that employees were not paying the correct income tax while on the TWSS and to leave an amount aside at the time. Some employees even got refunds back in tax on their payslips as many were placed on a week 1 / month 1 tax basis. People must have had their head in the sand if they taught they could get a wage and not pay tax on such, it's like any other welfare / support payment received. TWSS was rolled out quickly to get money into peoples pockets and keep businesses afloat. EWSS now operates again on real time PAYE basis for employees and employees are no longer on J9 PRSI class.

Is the wage subsidy taxable on the employee?

The payments are liable to income tax and USC; however, the subsidy is not taxable in real-time through the PAYE system during the period of the Subsidy scheme. Instead the employee will be liable for tax and USC on the subsidy amount paid to them by their employer by way of review at the end of the year.

With the continuation of the TWSS to the end of August 2020, and to mitigate the possible impact on the employee end of Year review placed all employees that received payments under either the TWSS or the DEASP Pandemic Unemployment Payment on a ‘non-cumulative’ Week 1 basis.

Updated RPNs, reflecting the Week 1 basis, were available in ROS from 21 June 2020. It is important that employers utilise the most up to date Revenue Payroll Notification (RPN) when running payroll so that employees are correctly switched to the Week 1 basis as quickly as possible. Where an employee is already on the Week 1 basis no further action is needed.

When an end of the year review takes place, it may be the case that an employee’s unused tax credits will cover any further liability that may arise. Where this is not the case, and should an Income Tax liability arise, it is normal Revenue practice to collect any tax owing in manageable amounts by reducing an individual’s tax credits for a future year(s) in order to minimise any hardship. Additionally, if an individual has any additional tax credits to claim, for example health expenses, this will also reduce any tax that may be owing.

In 2021, Revenue will make available the employee’s Preliminary End of Year Statement and following the
    employee’s completion of their 2020 income tax return, Revenue will generate the employee’s Statement of Liability for the tax year 2020. The employee can then pay this liability in full or partially when due. Any remaining unpaid liability balance will be collected by reducing the employee’s tax credits from tax year 2022.
    I think that is quite an unfair statement, its nothing got to do with having our heads in the sand. We did not chose not to pay our taxes at the time, we did not chose to only be paid our net wages instead of gross. Revenue made the decision that our employers could only pay us nett which enforced a probable 20% pay cut on anyone whose employer availed of the scheme

Any overpayments with be processed as soon as possible.

I take it you've completed your income tax return for 2020 then?

Yep submitted it 1st of January. Not paid til the end of this month, and we were paid early in December so I'm really feeling that post-Christmas poverty... The refund would help a lot!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

hope80 wrote: »
    I think that is quite an unfair statement, its nothing got to do with having our heads in the sand. We did not chose not to pay our taxes at the time, we did not chose to only be paid our net wages instead of gross. Revenue made the decision that our employers could only pay us nett which enforced a probable 20% pay cut on anyone whose employer availed of the scheme

20% pay cut

Poor you, I took an 80% pay cut and was taxed on that too.

We were all shafted.

Lets get on with it!

we were paid early in December so I'm really feeling that post-Christmas poverty... The refund would help a lot!!! :D

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times :D

I am exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

meath4sam wrote: »
    I received 700 illness benefit 2 weeks and 1750 in PUP 5 weeks. Total 2450 liable to tax.
    I got a bill for 865 under paid tax. Is this due to the fact I worked every other week of the year and the 2450 would be in the 40% tax bracket?

Certainly seems like it, it's seems you earned around 35300 last year in wages, pushing most of the above payments into the 40% tax bracket.

Advertisement