Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle continuously trespassing

Options
  • 14-11-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

My neighbour, who has featured in a number of threads here, has repeatedly allowed his cattle onto the land around my house over the last ten days. The have damaged more trees than I care to count and they have torn up the ground and damaged a set of steps I had built. I have asked nicely three times, and a half-hearted attempt was made to patch up the fences, but I have just driven six more cattle out. I was out last night in the snow and freezing rain trying to put up barb wire by torchlight while he was in the pub in town.

I have tried driving them out onto the road but they are very flighty cattle and they always scatter and double back and manage to crash back through the hedge. A few times I have had to hold my ground faced with a young bull or a cow with a calf. I'm at work during the day and to come home and see the cows grazing in my field in the middle of the damage they have done is heartbreaking.

I need to know what is the nuclear option. I told him yesterday that I was finished asking nicely and now he needs to understand that I'm serious. I'm told that I can get trespassing animals impounded. Do I have to pay to do this? Mod Snip.... I've removed the reference to advocating illegal activity. Anything posted here must be within the remit of the law. Thanks. GC What other options are there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cháin and lock your gates open,
    If you have or can get a electric fence, then tempory fence from where they keep breaking in to your field out to the road,only close and lock your gate when the neighbours cattle are out on the road...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

My neighbour, who has featured in a number of threads here, has repeatedly allowed his cattle onto the land around my house over the last ten days. The have damaged more trees than I care to count and they have torn up the ground and damaged a set of steps I had built. I have asked nicely three times, and a half-hearted attempt was made to patch up the fences, but I have just driven six more cattle out. I was out last night in the snow and freezing rain trying to put up barb wire by torchlight while he was in the pub in town.

I have tried driving them out onto the road but they are very flighty cattle and they always scatter and double back and manage to crash back through the hedge. A few times I have had to hold my ground faced with a young bull or a cow with a calf. I'm at work during the day and to come home and see the cows grazing in my field in the middle of the damage they have done is heartbreaking.

I need to know what is the nuclear option. I told him yesterday that I was finished asking nicely and now he needs to understand that I'm serious. I'm told that I can get trespassing animals impounded. Do I have to pay to do this?What other options are there?

Options include contacting a solicitor to seek advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Markcheese wrote: »
    Cháin and lock your gates open,
    If you have or can get a electric fence, then tempory fence from where they keep breaking in to your field out to the road,

Thanks but that isn't practical because of the shape of the site. If I left my gate open every animal he owns would be in my front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Local dvo would be the first port of call. AGS the second.

Thanks. How seriously will the DVO take it, do you think? And how quickly would they act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Take plenty of photos, of the cattle in, and the damage they've done in case you follow him for compensation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Mod Note. Maybe you're right. Maybe you're wrong. But there are rules man. Thanks GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Get a tag number if you can. Or take a photo of the tag. Report to dvo. Best of luck.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Get a tag number if you can. Or take a photo of the tag. Report to dvo. Best of luck.

They're very jumpy and flighty, it's impossible to get close enough to them on foot to get a look at a tag. If I know for certain who owns them will that be good enough for the DVO? Thanks for your input, by the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sorry Riff, as per previous Mod Note. But I do appreciate the sentiments! Thanks GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Had a look at your previous posts which include farmer brought a digger onto my land. You'd think you'd have a fair idea of what the next step is in dealing with cattle trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

If it’s a long running saga, it’s high time it was sorted through the various authorities who govern stuff like this.

As I say .... a load of bollox ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Odelay

Call the guards every time. People without experience of cattle have no business moving them.
    Guards will soon sharpen his pencil. This isn’t your problem, it’s the same as if they were in the road.

Right.
    Thanks to those who tried to help. I'm in a horrible situation with these people, you don't know the half of it. It is constant and it is wearing me down. I'm asking for advice and maybe a bit of support but the important thing is that you got to throw your weight around on an internet forum, so well done there lads.
    Mods you can close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement