Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Alex Ferguson rushed to hospital Mod note #132

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

A legend of the game, he has so much more to offer! Really hope to see him in the stands next season being his humble self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Seems to have really come out of nowhere.

Hope he pulls through! Always envisaged him making a comeback at United for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Seems to have really come out of nowhere.

That's how brain bleeds tend to operate tho...no warning at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

This man is not just a Manchester United and Aberdeen legend. This man is an icon of the sport itself.

Hope he pulls through and recovers fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

@ManUtd
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    Sir Alex Ferguson has undergone surgery today for a brain haemorrhage. The procedure has gone very well but he needs a period of intensive care to aid his recovery. His family request privacy in this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Absolutely hated him when he was their manager but at the same time have tons of respect for what he has achieved and undoubtedly one of the greatest ever. Has done the business again and again and always knew when it was time to completely rebuild the squad, which as far as I remember is unique, at least in England.

Genuinely hope he pulls through and will continue to enjoy retirement for many years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Absolutely hated him when he was their manager but at the same time have tons of respect for what he has achieved and undoubtedly one of the greatest ever. Has done the business again and again and always knew when it was time to completely rebuild the squad, which as far as I remember is unique, at least in England.

Genuinely hope he pulls through and will continue to enjoy retirement for many years to come.

I 100% feel the same.

Nothing but respect for him once I think past the rivalry beyween Liverpool and man united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope he's alright. If there's one person with enough fight in him to pull through, it'll be himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

As an Arsenal fan he caused me a lot of pain ,not as much as our current manager but anyway hope he gets through this a true legend of the game and easily the best manager I've seen in my lifetime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He caused me no end of suffering when he was the utd manager. But, really; football is very unimportant in the bigger picture. A devoted family man and apparently a sound fella away from the football environment. I hope he pulls through this and gets to enjoy a lengthy retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Such shocking news. Here is hoping for a quick and full recovery with as few lasting effects as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

blueser wrote: »
    He caused me no end of suffering when he was the utd manager. But, really; football is very unimportant in the bigger picture. A devoted family man and apparently a sound fella away from the football environment. I hope he pulls through this and gets to enjoy a lengthy retirement.

This.

I hated him as Utd manager, and his team.

But was always reputed to be a nice man off the pitch. And he's someone's father and husband, so wish him all the best in his recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Great too see all the tributes pouring in from around the world and across this forum. Goes to show how in times like this football knows no colors or sides. Some fantastic posts here from fans all of all clubs for one of, if not the greatest manager of all times. Take a bow lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Great too see all the tributes pouring in from around the world and across this forum. Goes to show how in times like this football knows no colors or sides. Some fantastic posts here from fans all of all clubs for one of, if not the greatest manager of all times. Take a bow lads

Nothing great about it really. Minimum that should be expected from any human to any other human and their families when in hard times.

The efforts to abuse are ugly and provocative and trolling.

But the idle speculation and attempts to lionise his character, as opposed to his record, can also be wide of the mark.

I see a few references to the "devoted family man", at least one highly regarded journalist who worked with Panorama and Newsnight wrote of an affair with a waitress and afaik it went unchallenged. On the other hand, does that make him less than devoted? And does it actually matter? Or in this world of Ed Sheeran and co. do we all need to know that someone is a "really nice guy" too?

The fact is a giant of the game is sick, and not long after he retired. That is what we know, and that is what we should comment on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Liverpool released a statement "a great rival but also a great friend who supported this club during its most difficult time", good enough for me

But the idle speculation and attempts to lionise his character, as opposed to his record, can also be wide of the mark.

I see a few references to the "devoted family man", at least one highly regarded journalist who worked with Panorama and Newsnight wrote of an affair with a waitress and afaik it went unchallenged. On the other hand, does that make him less than devoted? And does it actually matter? Or in this world of Ed Sheeran and co. do we all need to know that someone is a "really nice guy" too?

The fact is a giant of the game is sick, and not long after he retired. That is what we know, and that is what we should comment on.

Then... why did you... Eh...

Grayditch wrote: »
    Then... why did you... Eh...

I didnt. Read it again. I specifically refrained from commenting on whether the alleged affair made him good or bad, or making any comment about his character.

That was...eh...kinda the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

What journalist ? Does it need to be challenged or else accepted as true,was he selling a book maybe ? google doesn't show up anything.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What journalist ? Does it need to be challenged or else accepted as true ? google doesn't show up anything.

Michael Crick.

http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=The_Boss:_The_Many_Sides_of_Alex_Ferguson_by_Michael_Crick

Here is the journalist, in case you think he was some red top hack...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crick

Again, the point is not whether he had an affair, the point is that comments like "great family man" add nothing, sure we have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

get well soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Patww79 wrote: »

ugh

:rolleyes:

I didnt. Read it again. I specifically refrained from commenting on whether the alleged affair made him good or bad, or making any comment about his character.

That was...eh...kinda the point.
    Michael Crick.

http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=The_Boss:_The_Many_Sides_of_Alex_Ferguson_by_Michael_Crick

Here is the journalist, in case you think he was some red top hack...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crick

Again, the point is not whether he had an affair, the point is that comments like "great family man" add nothing, sure we have no idea.

Meh, they are just sad and lazy. Some of them nowhere near as subtle or clever as their OP thinks.

This thread should have been very straightforward.

Grayditch wrote: »
    This thread should have been very straightforward.

Absolutely.

The man is very sick, maybe some respect is hard to ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

They're good at making it about them. The Liverpool Echo did the same.

Fingers crossed for him but it doesn't sound good. He didn't look bad at all when he was with Wenger last week either.

I don’t think so, I think they are showing the side of the man that he is by showing he can put rivalries aside when times need it, exactly what is needed right now.

He’s a legend of the game and I hope he recovers and enjoys his retirement. He gave united fans like me some of the best moments of their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They're good at making it about them. The Liverpool Echo did the same.

Fingers crossed for him but it doesn't sound good. He didn't look bad at all when he was with Wenger last week either.

WTF......Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Some weird opinions in this thread. Hopefully he makes as close to a full recovery as possible and gets to continue enjoying going to football matches and enjoying his well deserved retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• I suddenly have the urge to use the wise words spoken by Benjamin Mendy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I suddenly have the urge to use the wise words spoken by Benjamin Mendy

Mendy was absolutely spot on last night. My respect for him has grown immensely.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Mendy was absolutely spot on last night. My respect for him has grown immensely.

What did he say I missed it.

What did he say I missed it.

Told a troll to **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I hated him. And that's the greatest compliment I can pay him.

The greatest ever bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ruined so many hopes and dreams for fans of other clubs. Wasn’t his biggest fan while he was still in the game but nothing but respect for him now. The greatest manager ever to grace English football. So sad to hear, really hope he makes a quick and full recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've encountered you on this site before and felt you were an unlikable character, I must have been on the mark.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pathetic post.

If Liverpool hadn't said anything you'd be on here asking why and calling them classless :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pathetic post.

If Liverpool hadn't said anything you'd be on here asking why and calling them classless :rolleyes:

Ignore him, he seems like the kind of person that still thinks it was lfc fans fault for hillsborough.

Anyway my thoughts and prayers with Fergie. A legend of the game regardless of what team you follow.

Brain haemorrhages are scary stuff.

Mendy's tweet and Business Cat's post earlier in this thread, the two best I've read yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Only when you hear other managers speak about Ferguson then you realise his actual influence on the game,when they need advice and help he's generally the first on the phone.
    For a man who is so focused on winning,he always went the extra mile to help those who were even seen as rivals.
    Even a cursory glance at social media last night saw messages from clubs and management worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The letter from Kenny Dalglish to Alex Ferguson after Hillsborough.
    When it came to winning the club's rivalry is virtually unmatched but some things transcend rivalries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

First thing I thought of this morning was the great mans health. Seriously hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’m not trying to derail the thread but I just can’t get my head around where the poster is coming from she saying that Liverpool releasing a statement wishing Ferguson a speedy recovery etc is making it all about them.
    I mean, first of all I would expect it. They are direct rivals and called me an old softy but I enjoy reading those well wishes.
    Secondly most clubs in England have posted something similar. Hell loads of clubs around Europe have posted similar.

Players from loads of clubs have done the same. Hell Mendy from City told one of his own fans to fûck off when he tried to make a smart comment about his tweet about Ferguson.

If it was some serious health issue with someone like Dalglish for example I’d expect the same for similar outpouring of good wishes and would certainly expect Manchester Utd to issue a similar sort of statement that Liverpool have.

It’s a shame that when something serious happens to a huge figure in the game we all follow and love, we can’t all be mature and gauge the seriousness of the situation and posting something appropriate if posting at all.

Having said that 99.9% of the posts here have been nothing but respectful. I’ve enjoyed reading them and they were to be expected.

nullzero wrote: »
    I've encountered you on this site before and felt you were an unlikable character, I must have been on the mark.

Can't say I remember you, but life is far too shortly get all wound up and personal about posts on a football forum.

I'm possibly a lot older than you, and from the vintage where when the likes of Clough and Revie were sick, everyone spoke of their contributions to football, there was no need to glorify their family life. It was irrelevant. I think it still is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Heard on the radio that the sugery couldnt have gone any better for him so hopefully he pulls through this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement