Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Lovely memory to have - what was Ian McShane like?

Nice enough, bit of a knob slightly conceited but a nice enough chap all the same, they were all ok except Chris jury who did nothing but moan and complain about everything!

The later series had the woman who is now in easterners (can’t think of her name at present) she used to smoke like a chimney.
    Tinker was fab

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Richard Baker - one of Britain's finest ever newscasters - has died aged 93.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46246049

His death breaks the last link to the very first days of BBC television news, as well as a major link to the sixties and seventies - when BBC newscasters didn't double up as reporters and vice versa, and reports were usually done in the studio (it was more of an ITN thing in those days to do them on location). Not many survivors from this era now, with Michael Aspel, Richard Whitmore and Angela Rippon being the most notable.

Richard Baker also presented coverage of the Last Night of the Proms for many years - and was a familiar voice on radio too, presenting many classical music programmes on Radio 2, Radio 3 and Radio 4.

The word "legend" is overused these days, but I don't think it would be wrong to suggest that Richard was one.

Well said.

I love this story in his Obituary about how he spent his time in his final years
    In his final years, Richard Baker moved to a retirement home. He was a little unsettled at first but soon found a way of integrating.

He would read all the newspapers and cut out the interesting headlines. Then, at Six O'clock, he would read them aloud to his fellow residents over supper.

For the great news man it was a smaller audience than he was used to; but one which was no less appreciative of his talent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41023864

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's a great story. :o

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Melodeon wrote: »

Ah coinin an glustean, rumour had it he ran off with a load of charity money , send your cheques to Bunny Carr c/o Gorta etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭brian_t

patmac wrote: »
    Ah coinin an glustean, rumour had it he ran off with a load of charity money , send your cheques to Bunny Carr c/o Gorta etc.

You post feels out of place in this thread.

Perhaps you could start a new thread "Rumours thread for dead people involved in TV".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

George A. Cooper has died aged 93.

He played Mr. Griffiths, the caretaker from Grange Hill. Being an avid Hammer fan I also know him from Dracula Has Risen From The Grave.

I randomly came across him a while back on YouTube where he appeared in an internal British Leyland film from the 1970s about the importance of quality work. He came to a bad end due to a shoddily-built Austin Allegro. Worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Magician and master of sleight of hand Ricky Jay died aged 72.

He was The Amazing Maleeni in The X- Files and had a recurring role in The Unit and starred in season 1 of Deadwood.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Stephen Hillenburg, SpongeBob SquarePants creator has died at 57

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/spongebob-stephen-hillenburg-dead/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

tumblr_p5kovnYXrl1srh93no1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Peter Armitage, who played Kevin Websters father in coronation street, has died at the age of 78. RIP

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46452831

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

peteeeed wrote: »

That brings back memories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

RIP Donal Farmer who played Dr Devereux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Cripes I've seen zombie threads in my time but this one might just take the biscuit!

Edit:Rip Donall Farmer. It's kind of scary to think about how many of Glenroe's main cast are no longer with us. Dinny, Miley, Teasy, Stephen and now Fr Devereux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

First "famous" person I saw in real life when i was a kid :) RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Some posts from a 17 year old thread have been moved here. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Magician and master of sleight of hand Ricky Jay died aged 72.

He was The Amazing Maleeni in The X- Files and had a recurring role in The Unit and starred in season 1 of Deadwood.

RIP.

I was listening to a Fresh Air piece remembering him. A great storyteller and magician, he used this (not his) as a pitch when he was in the carnival. Typos and mispronunciations are intentional.
    Show time, circus time. See the magician, the fireman, apple-eater, the girl with yellow, elastic tissue, the electrode lady. Yes, the electrode lady. At the age of 7, she and her sister were struck by lightning. Her sister died, but she lived to tell the tale - 20,000 volts of electricity through the young girl's body. The doctor said she lived because she was immune to the shock of electricity. See the monster child, the monster child from Johannesburg sat out. I got a monster child with one head, two bodies, three arms and four legs. You read about it in your leading periodicals. You read about it in the National Enquirer. See Adam and Eve, boy and girl, brother and sister, all in one - one of the world's three living morphodites (ph) who will expose itself, not to be rude or vulgar but to show you one of mother nature's corious mistakes. Show time, circus time, lets go - be going. They're all on the inside. They're on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Penny Cook, best known for her role in A Country Practice has died aged 61.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/27/penny-cook-star-of-a-country-practice-dies-aged-61

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sister Wendy (Beckett) died on St Stephens Day.

Sister Wendy Beckett, TV art historian, dies at 88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

brian_t wrote: »
    Sister Wendy (Beckett) died on St Stephens Day.

Sister Wendy Beckett, TV art historian, dies at 88

Aw.

But if you had said 108 I'd have believed you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Aw.

But if you had said 108 I'd have believed you.

Agreed. I thought she was already about 88 when she was on the TV back in the 90s or whenever.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Penny Cook, best known for her role in A Country Practice has died aged 61.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/27/penny-cook-star-of-a-country-practice-dies-aged-61

Sad news, loved this programme growing up in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

June Whitfield has passed away at the age of 93. Star of sitcoms and occasional carry on films. RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

June Whitfield has passed away at the age of 93. Star of sitcoms and occasional carry on films. RIP.
    RIP. A very accomplished lady and a genuinely funny woman. 93! Woah! Very youthful til the end then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

God bless her. She got one last dig in at today's politically correct nonsense in today's Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6537009/June-Whitfield-93-admits-stand-TV-anymore-theres-sex-swearing.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Poor Barry Cryer, every time the phone rings he knows someone his knows has died! :pac:

He's the last man standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1080536968499466240

Gutted to hear Bob Einstein aka 'Super Dave Osborne', who played Marty Funkhouser on Curb in recent years, has died aged 76. He'd been recently diagnosed with cancer.

I found his Super Dave skits on Youtube a few months back and thought they were great. Here's my favourite:

Also loved his jokes whenever he was on with Norm Macdonald (note NSFW):

Thought he was great on Curb too. Love the episode where Larry is baffled that Marty considers him his best friend. Very talented performer.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

God bless her. She got one last dig in at today's politically correct nonsense in today's Daily Mail.

Complaining about swearing, sex and violence? Think you - and the Daily Mail tbh - misinterpreted what she was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,628 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

giphy.gif

RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RIP Bob! :(

Advertisement