Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes & Amazon Music to stop all music downloads in 2019

Options
  • 31-12-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭

An article that I read today came up with some interesting news about iTunes. I never had an iTunes account per say as I like to collect physical music; although I did streaming before but didn't like it. It says that iTunes are to phase out music downloads from all of their customers accounts in early 2019. Documents reported from this article have said that they plan to transfer all of their iTunes music customer accounts to Apple Music sometime after Christmas 2018. If you're with Apple Music after that iTunes music cut off date; you cannot download stuff on Apple Music anymore as you can only stream music on it.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...sic-downloads/

Also in the news recently; Amazon have announced they have ceased support to include MP3 imports to their customers accounts.

Amazon also said that they plan to get rid of their entire music download storage service by January 2019.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...s-mp3-support/
    Amazon Music users had first noticed the company’s plans to roll back support for MP3 imports. In a statement on its website, Amazon confirmed the news.

“The Amazon Music Storage subscription plans (free and paid) are being retired. New subscriptions will be accepted until January 15, 2018. You can upgrade your Amazon Music storage plan, until that time.”

Similar to Apple’s MP3 termination timetable, Amazon Music Storage will run until January 2019. Then, the e-commerce giant will completely remove the service.

Since last Monday, users on the company’s free 250 storage plan could no longer upload new music to their MP3 locker. Customers who have purchased MP3s on the website, however, will still be able to access these downloads.

Is anyone here going to okay about this news or going to be in a complete panic about it? This news for a lot of you guys is probably not a good start for you leading into 2018 if you become worried about it. I'm not going to be affected by this news but I do think it can lead a lot more people to continue to stream music on other services or to have a resurgence in physical music sales once again as we hit the new year for future purcahses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I've only ever used iTunes for downloads a handful of times. No panic as for most artists you can purchase and download music from their Bandcamp pages. Direct from artists is a better model as well, as middlemen like Apple are cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm clueless when it comes to music downloads...

i would be an occasional downloader, so which site is the cheapest/easiest to use??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bump!

can anyone answer my question above, please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 10 matiasbloom

fryup wrote: »
    bump!

can anyone answer my question above, please

Have just the same question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Can usually buy directly from the artists' own websites.

i would be an occasional downloader, so which site is the cheapest/easiest to use??

Downloading is a bit 2001 in fairness. Just sign up to Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

The Nal wrote: »
    There are other websites one can sign up to. To listen to music in a better quality. Can't remember the name at the moment - Guess they're a bit costly -

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My da still uses his iPod. Its only connection is via USB.

The Nal wrote: »

All very well if you have proper broadband. A large proportion of the country still doesn't. I download when the signal is good and then I can listen as and when I like. Streaming is a luxury I dont have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There will be an announcement from Apple about the future of iTunes at WWDC tomorrow.

iTunes is planned to replaced with new desktop apps for Music and Movies & TV in future.

More detail here.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/31/itunes-apple-macos/

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/01/the-morning-after/

Good riddance itunes. Was always awful.

Advertisement