Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping as a quitting aid.

Options
  • 26-01-2017 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I was reading through a few of the threads in here and thought I'd add my own experience.

I've previously tried everything (and I mean everything) other than hypnosis. The best success I had was with Champix which I managed three months on.

This time I decided to jump on the bandwagon with vaping (just to cut down at least). That was 7-8 months ago and I'm about 6 1/2 months completely without a cigarette now.

I would have described myself as severely addicted (20-25 rollies a day) and decided at the outset that I wasn't necessarily going to actually quit unless it happened. I decided to vape as much as possible instead of smoking but I could have a cigarette any time I wanted.

What happened is that I found that other than my really hard cigarettes to do without (first thing in the morning and last thing at night for me), I was generally pretty contented with the vaping. Before I knew it I was down to 2-3 cigarettes a day and was experimenting with different vape flavours and nicotine strengths.

As a result of only smoking a few a day my sense of taste and smell came back. I discovered that I don't actually like the taste/smell of cigarettes or the smell off my clothes that I was completely oblivious too before. I was vaping anything but tobacco flavour too and enjoying that I could have a "smoke" and have it taste nice.

Then the magical day happened on 14th of August. I lit up my morning smoke. Got half way through it and just didn't want any more. The flavour, taste and the feeling on the tongue made me want to reach for my vape instead. So I chucked the other half of my cigarette and did just that. That was my last smoke.

I still have a packet of tobacco in the car (that way it was still my choice not to use it rather than that panic that ensues from not having a cigarette nearby). In the early days I was tempted once or twice but a few puffs of stronger nicotine vape did the trick every time. It gave me the space to think rationally about whether I really wanted one or it was just habit / addiction.

So now I'm a non-smoker but I'm still a nicotine addict. I have incredible admiration for those of you who managed to get nicotine free and that's still my long-term goal. However, this is my longest period cigarette free in 28 years and I'm not going to risk going back to smoking real cigarettes. I'll be happy to settle for 95% safer for the rest of my life if I have to.

I've heard people say that they feel like they look stupid with a vape. I've heard people say that vapers look like idiots. In my mind I looked like much more of an idiot with a cigarette in my mouth. That was killing me. I had a pretty bad smokers cough all the time and far less energy too it turns out. I'd rather look like a fool that act like one!

It will probably be another 6 months before I start looking at removing nicotine from my vape completely. I'm on mostly the lowest nicotine level now anyway and I'm making my own juice so I can make it whatever strength I want. I spent 28 years walking into this forrest, I don't think a year is a long time to walk back out.

I hope this is helpful to other people like me who have struggled to give up with other methods. Vaping isn't for everybody, but it's been a Godsend for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vapely

Congratulations on reaching 6 months, that's a huge milestone.

I smoked 20 Marlboro Red for about 12 years before my girlfriend bought me my first vape. Started off on 18mg nicotine strength and after 12 months nicotine free I've worked my way down to 3mg. Pretty much the weakest strength you'll find (1.5mg does exist). I feel healthier and have saved a fortune.

You don't say what strength you've been vaping and it may seem obvious, but if you are on something high, you should gradually step down through the strengths (eventually reaching 0mg) as a path to quitting nicotine entirely.

Best of luck, know that you've already done the hardest part!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

Thanks Vapely,

I'm mainly on 3mg or 6mg every now and again in smaller tanks with little output. I would count myself as still strongly addicted to nicotine (It's not the amount it's how easily you can do without it for even short stretches of time in my opinion). However I have zero interest in smoking a cigarette now, which I've been noticing over the last week in particular. I'll stand with smokers, but I don't like the smoke and don't miss actual smoking at all. I find myself annoyed if I get the smell of smoke on my clothes though. Not that I'm anti-smoker. I'm just enjoying not smelling of smoke these days, which is funny since I wasn't aware of the smell while I was smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

Glad to hear its going well for you! I'm nicotine free a week today, went from smoking 20 or so rollies a day to zero over night.

Yesterday was very very tough so I picked up a pen vape and an e-liquid which does not contain any nicotine. I'm still getting cravings but having something to take a pull off of is helping and my mood has vastly improved so its a god send!

This is my 3rd attempt at trying to give them up. I tried a vaping nicotine in the past and it didn't agree with me, I lasted a few months last year using the nicorette gum but eventually went back on them.

There is something different about this attempt, I've genuinely had enough of the blasted things and can actually see a life without them. With the other attempts it was always 'As soon as I hit 60 I'm back on them' but now I've just had enough.

Best of luck to you!

Well done White Hills. That's a lot braver than I was! A week free has the nicotine out of the system entirely if I remember correctly. More than that though, once you have gone a week without adding more nicotine, you know it's possible and that you can do it for another day, and another and another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Well done White Hills. That's a lot braver than I was! A week free has the nicotine out of the system entirely if I remember correctly. More than that though, once you have gone a week without adding more nicotine, you know it's possible and that you can do it for another day, and another and another.

You're dead right.. It's such a cliche but it's so true, that the longer you keep off, the easier it gets and putting the stuff back in to you just prolongs things and makes it worse

I'm a month off (both vaping and cigs) today (cold turkey) and delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

Thank you. Yeah, playing it day by day and finding it quite hard. Cravings are alright to handle, it's the sadness and irritability that I'm finding tough!

Take your time and do what's best for you! If you are happy vaping away keep at it until you feel you are ready to take the next step! :)

@feedback: Go you! It's great seeing others getting free.
    @White Hills: It's only the receptors missing being filled. It's going to take some time for your brain to adjust to the real, non drug induced normal. Then you're going to feel normal all the time without having to rely on a drug to get there! It's going to be so worth it. That's the Grail. I've got the consolation prize of not actually killing myself with smoke while using the drug to feel normal. I'll get there, but like I said in my initial post on this thread, I'm in no rush. The consolation prize is something I didn't think I'd ever achieve so I'm still pretty stoked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Best of lucking quitting!

Vaping is new.

Doesn't mean it's healthy.

Smoking is definitely worse according to research.

Vaping should act as an aids to quitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Best of lucking quitting!

Vaping is new.

Doesn't mean it's healthy.

Smoking is definitely worse according to research.

Vaping should act as an aids to quitting.

It's not that new. It's years old now. Many health organisations including the HSE and HIQA have found that it is at least 95% safer than smoking. Latest report found that carcinogens are gone if vaping exclusively. If you buy juice from respectable suppliers the only contents are PG, VG, nicotine and food flavourings/colouring - all of which are safe (apart from nicotine obviously but that's the point of vaping).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I find that since I started vaping, a cough I have had permanently is gone, no smoke smells, no ashes, not wondering if I properly quenched last cig before I left the house, and best news is my teeth are now beautifully white my fingers and nails are normal colour, and more cash in pocket, loving the vape for all these reasons

• Advertisement

Yeah Goat,
    It's a lot nicer than the smokes. I'm off them over a year now. I'm confident that I'll never smoke again. Great to hear it's working for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I smoked my last cig 6 days ago. Went onto a vape. Haven't smoked since. Have to say I'm barely using the vape either, only if I really need it. Comes in very handy for when I'm having a drink.

Finding the menthol vape juice brilliant for the throat hit.

Can't imagine smoking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

7 days off smoking 20 Benson per day. Started vaping with a 6mg juice. Even had a few pints last night around people smoking the real stuff and held strong. Hopefully will drop to 3mg over the next few weeks and phase nicotine out. My house, car, clothes smell normal again and the money saved is ridiculous. €87.92 so far! I know it's not really quitting and I have so much respect for people that do it cold turkey but this is the best stop-gap for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Off cigs cold turkey myself since Jan 6th,it's not easy but that's life,I haven't had a drink since either though, that'll be the real test

Advertisement