Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend New Speakers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Although the post mentioned the Cambridge Audio speakers as one option for the front speakers, my read of it suggests that Richersounds are recommending an all-Monitor Audio Radius solution which you could do in stages - from the post above you’d need two more speakers for surround, you might consider Monitor Audio Radius 45 for surround, these would match the other MA speakers, but cost less that’s the 90s which would be very good as the front speakers. An all-MA set up built in stages would result in a very good system., I have had an all MA Bronze set up (excluding subwoofer) run by a Denon AV receiver and I really liked them, you’d find them a big upgrade and get the full benefit from your amp.

You could ask them for a quote for a Q-Acoustics setup, this wouldn’t be the same quality as the MA in my opinion, but it would also be less expensive overall and might let you assemble the full setup more quickly, ie fronts and center first, then Sub, then surround. It really depends on budget and your patience ! If it was me I’d go with the MAs.

In the interest of transparency, you should know that I’m the Mod on RS website, this answer is based on my own experience, not “cheerleading” for RS - ask a John if he thinks I’m independent !

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

The Monitor Audio Radius are to big to fit underneath the TV and thus was looking at the cambridge. Dont want to put the speakers at side of tv as enough clutter and like to keep them under tv in stand. Going to get a Monitor Audio center as this would fit and then build system around that.

I just need to figure out what to do with old receiver and speakers as does not seem to be a great second hand market for them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Just out of interest, how much distance will you have between the front speakers (right and left fronts) if you have them both in a tv unit ?

As for your old gear, adverts and done deal are the only realistic options, you can’t sell them on Boards, it’s not allowed here.

Ritz.

We have a table similar to the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-glass-chrome-silver-screens/dp/B00NVL3R5A

So TV on top
    Virgin media box and Nvidia shield and Harmony Hub below that
    Bottom is for the speakers so not much room

We have a small open plan room and an infant whom loves to pull at the speakers :rolleyes:

Yeah have receiver on Adverts will look at done deal also

Ah rght, a little one can limit things right enough - it just crossed my mind that choosing the speakers on the basis of them fitting there might mpnot be best in the long run, esp if you’re building a system over a couple of years, also positioning the speakers there might limit the overall effect. At the end of the day you have to make things work to suit your own home, this game is all compromises !

Ritz.

• Advertisement

Yeah joys of fatherhood and trying to get great sound:D

What if we put the speakers behind the TV would the sound be not great if positioned there? Cannot position them at the side of the TV table as it would be like a red rag to a bull with Junior running about and he would have them broken or eaten in a sec.

We have our existing Yamaha subwoofer in a corner beside TV so thats well out of view so any new subwoofer we could just replace that.

In relation to Surround sound we have 2 speakers on pedestal behind couch(junior just discovered these) but was looking at option to get the full surround sound effect and get 2 more. But where would we put them .....That is the question as Hamlet once thought.

So its trying to strike a balance and compromise etc taking all things into consideration.

First world problems eh?

Any suggestions let me know

Hi, the joys are many and increase as the years go by - they also get much more expensive !!!!

I wouldn't put the speakers behind the tV permanently, but I might keep them there most of the time and put them to either side of the TV whan I was watching a movie or when junior is asleep ?

Having the speakers in the unit as a precondition is seriously limiting your choice of speaker and will also limit the effectiveness, if you could adopt a different approach you will have a broader choice of speaker (Monitor Audio, Q-Acoustic, Dali and others all do very good compact monitor speakers and matching centers.

I wouldn't get fussed about having 4 surround speakers - sorting out your fronts and center is the priority at this stage and I would be inclined to go for 5.1 in the kind of domestic setting you describe. You can use your surplus existing speakers as extra surrounds if you want - this will help you decide if you want 5,1 or 7.1 and you can buy however many surrounds you want to complete your system at that stage.

Ritz.

Yep the joys of it all and the cost dead right so might as well spend while we have it :D

Current speakers have the below dimensions
    Dimensions (W x H x D)

<NX-E130>.......................... 72 mm x 164 mm x 111 mm
    (2-13/16” x 6-7/16” x 4-3/8”)

<NX-C130> ......................... 300 mm x 72 mm x 110 mm
    (11-13/16” x 2-13/16”x 4-5/16”)

So looking for something discreet that junior may not see.....eh highly unlikely

Might just go with the Monitor Audio Radius 200 first and take it from there and continue to work with the other speakers. We have the speakers on most of the time when watching TV never use the TV sound as everything is going through the receiver

What about the Monitor Audio Radius one this kill everything in one stone and seems ok

What about the Monitor Audio Radius one this kill everything in one stone and seems ok

Not sure what you’re referring to, do you mean the MA radius speakers ?

Ritz

The Ritz wrote: »
    Not sure what you’re referring to, do you mean the MA radius speakers ?

Ritz

This one

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202011-monitor-audio-radius-one-black-3-channel-speaker-passive-soundbar.aspx

• Advertisement

Ah right, it’s a combined front l r and center - given the limitations you’ve described that seems like a good compromise, if you want to you can always move it on and replace it with separate speakers &#55357;&#56586; n the future when circumstances allow.

Cheers

Ritz

Managed to Pick up a MA Radius and have to collect it tonight and see if I can set it up.

Below is my set up

https://ibb.co/BrgSCHj

I want to put the Radius under the TV but it will block out the picture.

Only other option is on the first shelf on tv stand

Can TV be raised or any other options

Its a Samsung UE55KU64

I’d move the speaker to the upper shelf and move your boxes to the bottom - trying to raise the tv is tempting fate with a little fella on the loose.

The Ritz wrote: »
    I’d move the speaker to the upper shelf and move your boxes to the bottom - trying to raise the tv is tempting fate with a little fella on the loose.

Thing is table to small for speaker so have to get a new table.. Ah well

Advertisement