Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-12-2018, 00:01   #1
zom

Luas upgrade to 55m

In a spot of Metrolink proposal, is an idea of upgrading shorter Luas trams suspended / abandoned now? I remember introducing new long Luases was backed by prospect of having all Luases gradually upgraded to 55m. Is it scrapped now?
Advertisement
02-12-2018, 00:03   #2
Atlantic Dawn

Was there not issues crossing O'Connell bridge with them being too long when stopped? Realistically they should have gone double decker for more capacity instead.
02-12-2018, 00:07   #3
zom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
Was there not issues crossing O'Connell bridge with them being too long when stopped? Realistically they should have gone double decker for more capacity instead.
I may be wrong but I have strange feeling they limited use of 55m Luases during rush hours (green line). I had no luck to see long Luases in the mornings or evenings recently, but it is pretty easy to spot one in the middle of a day (working days).

Last edited by zom; 02-12-2018 at 00:16.
02-12-2018, 00:07   #4

Quote:
Double deckers trams are not made anymore. The only place that has them is Hong Kong but they're only the same size as double decker buses and nowhere near the size of a full length Luas.
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2018, 00:11   #5
CatInABox

Mod: Xbox, ZTest
No, it's still going ahead. All green line trams are going to be upgraded. If not, it'll hit capacity in a couple of years, instead of five or so.
Advertisement
02-12-2018, 02:06   #6
cython

Quote:
I think there was one instance of this causing an issue, and it stemmed from a taxi stopping a yellow box and blocking the luas. Outside of that kind of thing, the traffic flows are sequenced to accommodate
Quote:
Originally Posted by zom View Post
I may be wrong but I have strange feeling they limited use of 55m Luases during rush hours (green line). I had no luck to see long Luases in the mornings or evenings recently, but it is pretty easy to spot one in the middle of a day (working days).
Don't think so TBH, I get the Luas between Harcourt and Broombridge daily, and fairy regularly I'm on a tram numbered 5027 or greater (which means a 55m tram)
02-12-2018, 02:36   #7
goingnowhere

All new trams are 55m, the remaining 5000 series will be upgraded starting 2019

All trams on the Green line will be 55m once this is completed
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2018, 03:00   #8
L1011

The few 55m trams we have fit on the bridge. The length was specified.
02-12-2018, 10:05   #9
.G.

The current ones regularly get stuck coming from Hawkins st onto college green and block the roads as a result so longer ones won't be causing any more hassle than the current ones do! Friday evening one was stuck there so long that the Luas coming down the line after it caught up with it so we had two in a row at the college green stop.
Advertisement
02-12-2018, 11:12   #10
devnull

There are still more trams on order, 8 I believe.
02-12-2018, 18:54   #11
KD345

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
There are still more trams on order, 8 I believe.
That’s correct. There are 8 new 55m trams on order and an extension planned for the original 26 x 5000 series trams on the green line. This will require an extension to the Sandyford Depot.

This was all announced in 2017 but I’m not sure what stage things are at.

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Roo...e_Project.html
02-12-2018, 19:16   #12
KD345

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
The few 55m trams we have fit on the bridge. The length was specified.
They don’t. The 55m trams need a clear signal to cross the Rosie Hackett and O’Connell Bridges. If the trams stop on the bridge they block the traffic on the quays.
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 20:58   #13
tabbey

For several months the 55m trams (5027 - 5033) were used less intensively than the other trams. But since the new year they have been utilised as much as their older siblings.
The exception was 5033, which since delivery, generally lurked in Sandyford in the same siding. It appeared to have some problem. In the past week it has been earning its living, so hopefully its issue has been resolved.

The other 5000 class trams are due to get the additional two segments, starting next month I understand. Presumably the extra segments will be delivered over many months.

The depot extension has been slowly proceeding over the past six months, but hopefully should be complete soon.

A few trams, both 3000 class and 4000 class, remain on the Green line, on loan from the Red line. Presumably they will be repatriated after the eight new trams are delivered.
(5) thanks from:
13-02-2019, 21:17   #14
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD345 View Post
They don’t. The 55m trams need a clear signal to cross the Rosie Hackett and O’Connell Bridges. If the trams stop on the bridge they block the traffic on the quays.
I'm getting 60m for the tram island on O'Connell Bridge and 65m on the Rosie Hackett, that is using OSM data so not guaranteed to be correct. The 55m was ordered for a reason - 60m was the normal next Alstom size; and the infamous "tram blocks traffic on first day!" headline was because a taxi was in the way.
14-02-2019, 11:17   #15
highdef

I did some measurements using Google Earth and got more or less bang on 55m from the edge of each yellow box lane marking on either side of the river for O'Connell Bridge. Rosie Hackett is similar however in both cases, a tram stopped on either bridge results in pedestrians being unable to cross across the width of either bridge in a safe manner, as all pedestrian crossings are blocked by the 55m tram stopped on the bridge.

Having said that, I can only assume that the traffic light signalling always ensures that pedestrians never get a green light to cross when a 55m tram is stopped on either bridge. Unfortunately, lots of people are stupid and/or impatient and will still walk out in front of, or behind the stopped tram and put themselves in danger of being hit by other traffic.....but that's a different topic altogether!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion