Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle Clippers

• 24-11-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of ye have clippers if so what brand? Have a "Henninger" but it's a heap of shyte...Blades lastabout 12 bullocks even when sipping it in oil. Neighbour borrowed it & he used blades from Clippers Ireland & they chipped...

So lookn for recommendations on good brand clipper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/6445734

We're going to order this some day soon.
    The heigner is 600 quid......no way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

have a set of heiniger here since 2008
    could not fault them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/6445734

We're going to order this some day soon.
    The heigner is 600 quid......no way

Have a Heiniger here for 8 or 9 year with 5 sets of blades. When 2 sets get blunt they are sent off for sharpening. It's a heavy piece of kit but cannot fault it. Doing 130 to 140 tails and backs for those 8 or 9 years

Have a Heiniger here for 8 or 9 year with 5 sets of blades. When 2 sets get blunt they are sent off for sharpening. It's a heavy piece of kit but cannot fault it. Doing 130 to 140 tails and backs for those 8 or 9 years

Is that a battery operated one?
    I could get a cheaper battery heiniger for 450 but only one battery. That's not much use tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I have a battery operated heiniger and lately I'm having the same trouble as op, only cutting a few cows and then hair starts getting stuck, even after having blades professionally edged. Not sure if the blades or battery is at fault as it used to be very good to cut. I was told that if blades are ever left overheat they will never retain their sharpness, so this might be the problem as I might have skimped on oil once or twice in the past. What kind of blades do ye guys use and where do ye get them, pedigreecattle.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭signinlate

I'm just after ordering a cheap sheep shears off ebay for €80. I have never used
    before but will clip their backs and trim the cows tails this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

The neighbours henninger does about 15 cattle before becoming unusable.... Its been a disaster from day one he said....biting the bullet with clippers Ireland but they are out of stock of the heavy duty clippers till next week he said....better than spending 200 on 5 sets blades!!

grange mac wrote: »
    The neighbours henninger does about 15 cattle before becoming unusable.... Its been a disaster from day one he said....biting the bullet with clippers Ireland but they are out of stock of the heavy duty clippers till next week he said....better than spending 200 on 5 sets blades!!

Dad just after ringing a friend of his.
    He says buy a sheep's head do it.
    It's much finer and gets through the hair easier.
    He's using it on cowsand heifers tails too

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I have a battery operated heiniger and lately I'm having the same trouble as op, only cutting a few cows and then hair starts getting stuck, even after having blades professionally edged. Not sure if the blades or battery is at fault as it used to be very good to cut. I was told that if blades are ever left overheat they will never retain their sharpness, so this might be the problem as I might have skimped on oil once or twice in the past. What kind of blades do ye guys use and where do ye get them, pedigreecattle.ie?
    +1
    First year clipped whole heard of cows as they were dried off
    Now clipper is used (with new blades) to clip a few horses.
    Tried the New Zealand rotary clippers but same thing -went well for a while became blunt and slow but after being told the cost of replacing chipped blades decided it was not worth it.

I this year happily used a 10 inch stainless steel scissors - it started to pack up during the 4 days of drying off cows but bang of hammer tightened it up again.

Going to splash out on a new one next spring (it is well worth the 15 quid)

Now if there is a set of blades available (that add said their blades were heinnegear compatible ) for dirty cow tails I would gladly try a set of them.
    (although saying that I will keep using the scissors to get the big dirt off )

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OnDtown

Have a Henninger here also for 15+ years & used to have the same issue of blades only lasting for 15-20 cattle before going blunt. Got a new set of blades which weren't Henninger but were compatible, cost 30-40 eur in local store, and are working great.
    Have 2 sets of blades and can get about 80 cattle per set, get the local chainsaw dealer to re-sharpen them for a fiver and are as good a new again.
    To me the secret is to keep the blade tensioner tight and keeps lots of oil on the blades, oil it after each animal.
    A friend bought a new Liscopp 2 years ago and gave it to me to compare, wouldn't be as good as the Henninger and this was new with new blades.

• Advertisement

grange mac wrote: »

Getting 40+ cattle per set of blades here. And 2 sets came with it. The other 3 set cost €70 total as they were on deal and are Heiniger compatible. So nowhere near €200. I can assure you my dad wouldn't stick with a disaster of a machine for 8 or 9 weeks, never mind 8 or 9 years.
    The blade needs oils every 2nd animal and the tensioning needs to be done EXACTLY as it says in the book. Over tensioning leads to overheating and the blades go to sh1t. Under tensioning will give a crap cut and be very slow.

Is that a battery operated one?
    I could get a cheaper battery heiniger for 450 but only one battery. That's not much use tbh

No. Corded clippers here. Had a cordless clippers a few years ago (not sure of the make) but charge dropped very quickly when doing though work like sh1tty tails. And it was a heavy bastrd of a yoke.

Getting 40+ cattle per set of blades here. And 2 sets came with it. The other 3 set cost €70 total as they were on deal and are Heiniger compatible. So nowhere near €200. I can assure you my dad wouldn't stick with a disaster of a machine for 8 or 9 weeks, never mind 8 or 9 years.
    The blade needs oils every 2nd animal and the tensioning needs to be done EXACTLY as it says in the book. Over tensioning leads to overheating and the blades go to sh1t. Under tensioning will give a crap cut and be very slow.
    I think I'll stick to the hand clippers
    This is all very complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

How much of the animal do ye lads be clipping to only get 40-80 animals to a set of blades? Have one of the clippers Ireland 350w with the dirty cattle/sheep blades and the original blades have done the backs of 3-400 cattle over the couple years we've had it at this stage and I wouldn't always be to great about keeping it oiled. Use an old style hand shears to do the tails tho,

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Zr105 wrote: »
    How much of the animal do ye lads be clipping to only get 40-80 animals to a set of blades? Have one of the clippers Ireland 350w with the dirty cattle/sheep blades and the original blades have done the backs of 3-400 cattle over the couple years we've had it at this stage and I wouldn't always be to great about keeping it oiled. Use an old style hand shears to do the tails tho,

You hit on something there
    There is probable more guts in a mains clipper - when the battery gets weaker it cant drive bluntish / dirty blades and grinds to a halt where a mains clipper drives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Has anyone any experience of the ergopro battery clippers from clippers ireland. Thinking of the dual head one. Looking to use it for backs on cattle, tails and clipping freeze brands on the cows. I like the idea of battery as I'd be happier in the pit without an extension lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Clipped 18000 tails recently in two days with 6 pairs of heineger (sp) clippers, all mains powered and none of them gave up or needed blades changed, plenty of oil thrown at them and worked the best

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

I like the idea of a battery clippers. I had a mains powered one but I never like using it in the pit. Even with waterproof plugs I don't like a live cable with so much water/**** around. Also it would be easy do a couple of cows anytime without having the hassle of setting up a cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Battery clippers just don't have the power and will ultimately drive you mad. Stick with your mains operated and do them in crush after milking. My heiniger battery clippers hasn't been taken out since I got a mains operated one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I came across battery Ones where you had the battery on a wee back pack kind of thing, took the weight off the clipper and extended your battery life, obviously come at a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I have a heiniger cordless. It works fine. Did 85 cows tails there in October over 2 milkings. They hadn't been clipped since April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Battery clippers just don't have the power and will ultimately drive you mad. Stick with your mains operated and do them in crush after milking. My heiniger battery clippers hasn't been taken out since I got a mains operated one
    +1 on this. Battery one will drive you mad. I bought a dear battery one and after years the batteries are gone weak and dont maintain the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

What type of clippers are used at shows, doubt you can have extension cables all around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭k mac

Bump.

Have a clippers Ireland mains cattle clippers about 4 years, just do about 25 cattle at housing each year but this year would barely take any hair off, I presume its the blades that are gone but I thought they would last longer. Anyone else have the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

k mac wrote: »
    Bump.

Have a clippers Ireland mains cattle clippers about 4 years, just do about 25 cattle at housing each year but this year would barely take any hair off, I presume its the blades that are gone but I thought they would last longer. Anyone else have the same problem?

I have one too
    When I got it first it was leaving hair everywhere in lines so I took it apart and put it back together and it worked like a dream for 2 years until this year it started off good but by the last 1 it was cutting bad again
    So I cleaned it out and took it apart
    I wont be using it till next year so hopefully it will be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jd06 wrote: »
    I have one too
    When I got it first it was leaving hair everywhere in lines so I took it apart and put it back together and it worked like a dream for 2 years until this year it started off good but by the last 1 it was cutting bad again
    So I cleaned it out and took it apart
    I wont be using it till next year so hopefully it will be ok

Surely they'd have to be sharpened regularly, same as sheepshears.......
    or is it that you can buy replacement blades,
    Grit in the hair will eventually take the edge off any shears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Blades probably have to be edged but should do a few hundred cattle or even a thousand by the time they have to be edged, once your not cutting too much shít on the tail. Can you adjust the pressure between the blade and comb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I hope you all use a safety RCD socket reel when using your mains clippers. I've been clipping horses and occasionally cattle's backs over the years with a Liscop and wouldn't clip without using a safety socket.
    20 odd years ago I witnessed two young ladies and a horse getting electrocuted when they were clipping. I was outside the stable chatting to them over the half door when it happened. Fortunately they were not killed but one got a severe cut on her face from the clipper blades and the other who was holding the horse got a dislocated shoulder when the horse lunged forward and knocked her into the stable wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

Bump.

Are you keeping it oiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Blades probably have to be edged but should do a few hundred cattle or even a thousand by the time they have to be edged, once your not cutting too much shít on the tail. Can you adjust the pressure between the blade and comb?
    I had two Liscop clippers over the years so I can't comment on other makes. When you put in a new set of blades you hand tighten the spring screw and then back it off a half turn. Oiling the blades is very important to stop them from overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Bump.

I have one the green 220v one the last 5 years , no problems with it , I use the oil the whole time is the screw loose , they will cut nothing if loose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I have a ‘profiCUT go’from Voss farming a few years. A good clippers. I use it for cow tails and freeze brands. One of the battery’s is completely dead and the other is substantially weaker. Anyone know where I might find a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I have one the green 220v one the last 5 years , no problems with it , I use the oil the whole time is the screw loose , they will cut nothing if loose .

Same here. Cuts the cows tails 4 times a year and weanlings too. Easily doing 600 tails in the year. No issues either and must have it 4 years now

Advertisement