Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2019, 16:48   #16
tuxy

Dee Dee

Advertisement
21-07-2019, 16:49   #17
Spanish Eyes

If you can go out to the pub or wherever, you are most likely not clinically depressed. Bored maybe.
(2) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 16:52   #18
ToddyDoody

There are many valid reasons to be bored / depressed, if anyone would care to start a list.
21-07-2019, 16:57   #19
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetrees View Post
If you think that's depressing then you've never been depressed. Try not being able to get out of bed in the morning, feeling totally and utterly useless, worthless and unloved. That is depression.

I think it’s surely a question for the individual themselves to answer as to what causes them to feel depressed. The idea that others can answer that question on behalf of someone else is, in and of itself, I think anyway - depressing.

Not being able to get out of bed in the morning, feeling totally and utterly useless, worthless and unloved is not depression. They are symptoms. My point is that it isn’t for other people to tell someone whether or not they are or aren’t experiencing depression. It’s causes, symptoms and effects can be different for everyone. I think we need to get away from this often promoted narrative that a person can only be experiencing depression if they fit a specific set of criteria.

That’s the basis of a clinical diagnosis, certainly, but IMO it’s limiting the scope of our understanding of depression and what causes it and how to treat it and alleviate the symptoms while addressing the underlying cause of the persons experiencing ill mental health, and if possible - to determine ways and methods to prevent people from experiencing ill mental health in the first place.

Or, y’know, we could get hung up on labelling it like it’s just another identity for people who are into that sort of thing, and not the mental condition that it has actually been recognised as such that there are different circumstances, levels, and degrees to which it can impact upon a persons ability to cope with life and the nuances of mental health.
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 17:04   #20
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx View Post
Height of depression? Feeling hopeless, struggling to find a reason to live, not being able to feel anything positive, to name but a few.

After Hours or not, mental health is not something to joke about.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with gallows humour, but it’s actually a useful tool in helping people’s understanding of mental health conditions. I don’t think it’s helpful to treat mental health as some sort of sacred cow that should be above being viewed from a humorous perspective, even one you may personally vehemently disagree with.
Advertisement
21-07-2019, 17:09   #21
Still waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
I think it’s surely a question for the individual themselves to answer as to what causes them to feel depressed.
My thoughts exactly, plenty jumping down the ops throat for what they perceive not to be depression, do they own the rights to the symptoms of depression, no way should they be dictating what defines depression.

I think a lot on here feel the need to stand up for something defined by a narrow set of parameters, "you couldn't be depressed if you're able to get up in the morning " what a load of bull, the banks don't give a fcuk if you're depressed as long as you pay the mortgage, depressed or not life goes on and bills have to be paid, but lets not get in the way of the faux outrage brigade willing to identify/pretend to have depression just to sound righteous on an anonymous discussion forum
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 17:13   #22
everlast75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
What is the height of Depression for you ??? For example your in a venue and a certain song or person comes on and you immediately feel depressed

Mine is sitting in a quite pub with those corny classic radio stations (RTE gold) on. Just so depressing and really doesn't help the atmosphere.
Well, alcohol is a depressant, so....
21-07-2019, 17:14   #23
Irish Praetorian

There's actually quite a few of us dealing with depression (and the often co-morbid anxiety) in the LTI forum here if any of you want to maybe drop in and just say hello or even just take a look at what some people go through.

I can't say I've been the most severely affected by any stretch of the imagination but even in my limited experience, I've found a bit of human contact, even over a forum, can help.
(6) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 17:15   #24
Church on Tuesday

People need to relax with the OP's choice of words and that coming from someone who has, and indeed by times still does, struggle with depression.

There is something pretty grim about a rainy Sunday.
Advertisement
21-07-2019, 17:16   #25
tuxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast75 View Post
Well, alcohol is a depressant, so....
Yes a central nervous system depressant not a psychological depressant.
Of curse any form of drug abuse can cause or worsen depression. But it's not because alcohol is a CNS depressant although CNS depressants can cause rebound anxiety.
21-07-2019, 17:17   #26
Srameen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx View Post
Height of depression? Feeling hopeless, struggling to find a reason to live, not being able to feel anything positive, to name but a few.

After Hours or not, mental health is not something to joke about.
AH has handled the topic of depression very well over the years.

Such as the current thread; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...php?p=75955119
21-07-2019, 17:24   #27
Wanderer2010

Look up the word depression.

Then be grateful you don't have it if this is all that "depresses" you.
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 17:26   #28
ToddyDoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2010 View Post

Its that simple?
21-07-2019, 17:28   #29
freshpopcorn

For me it's being at the sea side/beach.
It's a very happy place but it can also feel very lonely looking out.
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 17:29   #30
Still waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2010 View Post

Cheer up

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion