Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Ha, I thought they were parody tweets. The country seems to be slowly burning down around their ears over the last 10-15 years, but this is what US "news" media focus on.

I'd say NASA in 2019 have as much chance of replicating a project like that (let alone sending humans to Mars) as, well, Ireland has of putting a cis/trans man or woman into space!

Perhaps the media should be worrying about that evidence of decline instead of fretting over the gonads (edit: and skin melanin levels) of their space scientists and engineers.

It sure is burning down around us & some of us see & feel it.
    ..and I hate it. Last time I felt whole & happy was 4 months beautiful and sunny days in 2011 spent in Gowran & Thomastown. Being away from the US was like breathing after being held down underwater. No place is perfect & while plenty people could winge about but it felt like home. Never felt that before or since. Carlow is a great place as well but some chips by the river in Thomastown on a nice day is my idea of paradise. Focusing on the whiteness of the lunar program is beyond silly. Have a good Sunday all & enjoy the football, I'll be waiting anxiously for the AI Semi's next week. Up the Cat's!

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This whole "identity politics" shenanigans is just going way too far and I would agree with the sentiments expressed by a couple of posters that a disquieting proportion the younger generation in the West seem to be lacking basic life skills - like cooking for themselves, for instsnce (look at how food delivery outfits like JustEat and Deliveroo are absolutely booming) or, jump starting a car engine or changing a lightbulb.

Things were very different back in 1969 - but so what if it was only 12 white American men who walked on the Moon? It really doesn't take away from what is an an incredible achievement in human endeavour.

One day there will be men on the Moon again and women too, black, white, yellow, gay, etc and also on Mars - and this whole identity politics farce will hopefully be consigned to the dustbin of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Seamai wrote: »
    But American kids never got told any of that in school, my better have never heard on Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova until he moved to Ireland.

I only started reading about it the other day as I was curious about when the first African American went into space and that led on to reading about the USSR space program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This whole "identity politics" shenanigans is just going way too far and I would agree with the sentiments expressed by a couple of posters that a disquieting proportion the younger generation in the West seem to be lacking basic life skills - like cooking for themselves, for instsnce (look at how food delivery outfits like JustEat and Deliveroo are absolutely booming) or, jump starting a car engine or changing a lightbulb.

Things were very different back in 1969 - but so what if it was only 12 white American men who walked on the Moon? It really doesn't take away from what is an an incredible achievement in human endeavour.

One day there will be men on the Moon again and women too, black, white, yellow, gay, etc and also on Mars - and this whole identity politics farce will hopefully be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Who ever went around saying "what an achievement for white men"? What a load of horse**** - if they were black, female and gay it wouldn't matter a jot to me or anyone else. It's a great achievement for humanity.

It's only these journos bringing up this ****e.

On a side note wouldn't it be absolutely wonderful for this generation to have that same experience of looking up at the moon and thinking that there are human beings walking on that right now? I don't give a fcuk if they are gay, straight, black, brown, white, female....

I would love us to have the same experience as they did back then - I think it would be inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

People in the West really seem to strive to find problems.

Bored people living comfortable lives with too much free time on their hands, who take their liberties for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitriv uyda

Shur it was a white man that was IN the moon in the first place...

just watching the live stream, they have the flag up now less than an hour after they set foot on the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

No, we shouldn't be wary ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Didn’t three men die experimenting / preparing / testing equipment for the Moon Landings ?
    More Male Privilege .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

For the live if God, the blue eyed blonde haired one of course ;), what is wrong with those malcontents.
    They won't be happy until they do an Orwellian rewrite of history, maybe trump isn't as crazy as he seems.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That was also going on of course.
    But compared to the rest of the world, which would not be so democratic to our standards today, they made amazing improvements.

After they got rid of the 50 million or so who didn't understand their vision things went really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

All part of the wider agenda to make white men seem guilty for being a white man.

The culture that put men on the moon was intense
    well... yeah

as opposed to what, a bit of a lark

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well they're American news outlets and beyond the clickbait aspect, which in many ways is a symptom of where western society is going rather than a cause, America is a culture increasingly unsure of itself. The whole Apollo project reflects the turning point where it happened.

When Kennedy pulled the whole let's go to the moon, America was very sure of herself. There were concerns among many at the cost what with poverty and Vietnam going on, but they were in the end confident that they could do it and they did and when they did it was the high watermark of 20th century America.

But at that peak from Apollo 11 to 17 Vietnam went to hell, the oil crisis was rumbling, civil rights marches, Nixon and the government itself shook and looked rotten to the core. After that it didn't look so shiny and trust in "big" government went south in a big way.

Fast forward to a generation or so later and even more public issues within America and a drop in education standards and the interwebs and you have BS like these articles. If you ever hang out in US based forums and the like it's scary how many of them are cock sure they didn't go to the moon(never mind their cultural paranoia in general much of it along identity politics lines). It just doesn't compute for them. They want to believe in their lack of trust more than reality, hell, even the hope that they did something like that.

The big problem for the rest of us in the west is that the Americans are exporting this nonsense through the internet and too bloody many are happily importing it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Is all this nonsense a type of masochism?

• Advertisement

Or Fem-ochism !:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think we should stop using or celebrating anything invented, discovered or founded by old dead white men. Things such as the internet, electricity, motorised transport, certain vaccines - that kind of thing. But i think we should start with the the work of HJ Raymond and Stilson Hutchins; the two old dead white men who founded The New York Times and The Washington Post.

i think we should stop using or celebrating anything invented, discovered or founded by old dead white men. Things such as the internet, electricity, motorised transport, certain vaccines - that kind of thing. But i think we should start with the the work of HJ Raymond and Stilson Hutchins; the two old dead white men who founded The New York Times and The Washington Post.
    What have Old Dead / Alive White Men Ever done For Us ?:eek:;):D:p

Ethnomasochism
    noun
    (politics, derogatory) Self-loathing on the grounds of one's own race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

They should do an article on how all American presidents up to 2009 were white males.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Remarkable achievement for all involved. Meanwhile ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ethnomasochism
    noun

Or how to keep pushing your agenda by piggybacking on anything you can link it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The modern Left and progressive movements are largely of the Middle and Upper Classes.

Self flagellation is indulgent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only way to make this shite go away is to STOP CLICKING ON RUBBISH THAT YOU KNOW WILL OUTRAGE YOU.

;)

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/american-racial-self-flagellation-is-on-its-way-to-british-schools/

this stuff is evil. literally evil and must be fought tooth and nail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Humanity needs a reboot. I think it’s time for a nuclear war or some deadly virus to wipe out 90% of us…

If I had the means and the way(which I don’t) I’d release that virus ala 12 monkeys…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What utter and complete horseshït. Hitler was a white man as were the entire third reich, are they going to express the same sentiment in regard to them? No of course they’re not.
    They are still denying the existence of the secret Nazi moon base that proves whitey got there first.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well they're American news outlets and beyond the clickbait aspect, which in many ways is a symptom of where western society is going rather than a cause, America is a culture increasingly unsure of itself. The whole Apollo project reflects the turning point where it happened.

When Kennedy pulled the whole let's go to the moon, America was very sure of herself. There were concerns among many at the cost what with poverty and Vietnam going on, but they were in the end confident that they could do it and they did and when they did it was the high watermark of 20th century America.

But at that peak from Apollo 11 to 17 Vietnam went to hell, the oil crisis was rumbling, civil rights marches, Nixon and the government itself shook and looked rotten to the core. After that it didn't look so shiny and trust in "big" government went south in a big way.

Fast forward to a generation or so later and even more public issues within America and a drop in education standards and the interwebs and you have BS like these articles. If you ever hang out in US based forums and the like it's scary how many of them are cock sure they didn't go to the moon(never mind their cultural paranoia in general much of it along identity politics lines). It just doesn't compute for them. They want to believe in their lack of trust more than reality, hell, even the hope that they did something like that.

The big problem for the rest of us in the west is that the Americans are exporting this nonsense through the internet and too bloody many are happily importing it.
    it's like watching a beloved relation deteriorate mentally. sad.

The modern Left and progressive movements are also self obsessed and a bit lazy. Liking a cause but not difficult hours activism

Identity politics was a way of making oneself the focus of the struggle, rather than those scabbie proles in their terraced houses with their wrong views, **** em.

There are a lot of people in the Left who dislike the working-class, vehemently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wibbs wrote: »

We live in the same world now as we did then and the world is more or less the same as it was then with one major difference. This post is probably even an example of it :), The internet has held a microphone up to everybodys mouth, resulting in the loony's voices now being heard, they were always there it's just that nobody paid any attention to them. People were able to decipher news from dross, but not any more, now they are all being presented the same with the result that peoples attention is being held by the white noise of nonsense.

America needs a new focus, something worthwhile, something for the world to focus on, to get behind. It's a shame we don't have a second moon, maybe we could make one.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to send a team of women to the Moon next.

The men left a bit of a mess behind them that badly needs cleaning up.

Will never happen. landing a spaceship is like parking a spaceship!

Check mate.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ethnomasochism
    noun
    Good bit of it among Irish people too - whether it's "I'm so above those unsophisticated plebs" or "we can't talk - we had the Magdalene laundries". Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

White men have achieved so much, I’m so proud of them...no wait...I’m so ashamed is what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A generation of panzies that couldn't wire a plug or cook a meal or go 5 minutes without their phone or understand how to cope with rejection would make you dispair alright.
    Nonsense tbh. Rose tinted glasses.

I bet your father believed your generation were pansies with no life skills.

I bet the parents of those who died in Normandy all believed their kids were being brought up soft and with no life skills.

Every generation thinks the next one is ridiculous, aimless and ruining society. Then they become the 50+ generation, realise they've been left behind and that they're the ones lacking critical modern life skills, not the other way around.

White Men are Great . Really Great .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

seamus wrote: »
    Nonsense tbh. Rose tinted glasses.I bet your father believed your generation were pansies with no life skills.
    I bet the parents of those who died in Normandy all believed their kids were being brought up soft and with no life skills.Every generation thinks the next one is ridiculous, aimless and ruining society. Then they become the 50+ generation, realise they've been left behind and that they're the ones lacking critical modern life skills, not the other way around.

Or the alternative is that we really are now in the age of online idiots ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/american-racial-self-flagellation-is-on-its-way-to-british-schools/

this stuff is evil. literally evil and must be fought tooth and nail.

There are those two words again..."unconscious bias"....it is a stunning example of a complete capitulation into nothing more than ideology, what about the "unconscious bias" of those who are preaching about our "unconscious biases"....ideologues have abandoned self awareness, and these lunatics think of themselves as progressives!!!

This nonsense is coming from the political left...is anyone surprised at all that Americans elected Donald Trump!

Danzy wrote: »
    The modern Left and progressive movements are also self obsessed and a bit lazy. Liking a cause but not difficult hours activism

Identity politics was a way of making oneself the focus of the struggle, rather than those scabbie proles in their terraced houses with their wrong views, **** em.

There are a lot of people in the Left who dislike the working-class, vehemently.

This has fuck all to do with "the left".

And everything to do with monetising internet clicks on silly articles that fools press the button on so they can steam about how crazy the world is.

If anything, it shows how shitty American politics can pollute the minds of everyone far from its shores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The US and the world made great strides in both technological advancements with the apollo moon landings and social justice with Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights, no one was saying life was perfect then, but there's so many miserable people out there and who can't help but find faults in everything.

Margaret Hamilton led a huge team in developing the trajectory programme. Probably one of the most important people on the project.
    A the time Nasa probably thought they needed men due to the stresses involved in take off etc. Also, there was a very real chance they wouldn't be coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

I bet the parents of those who died in Normandy all believed their kids were being brought up soft and with no life skills.

Every generation thinks the next one is ridiculous, aimless and ruining society. Then they become the 50+ generation, realise they've been left behind and that they're the ones lacking critical modern life skills, not the other way around.

I would applaud this but applauding triggers me..

tigerboon wrote: »
    Margaret Hamilton led a huge team in developing the trajectory programme. Probably one of the most important people on the project.
    A the time Nasa probably thought they needed men due to the stresses involved in take off etc. Also, there was a very real chance they wouldn't be coming back.
    Tis funny how Expendable men have been through history .

Expendable Privilege :eek::eek::eek:

We live in the same world now as we did then and the world is more or less the same as it was then with one major difference. This post is probably even an example of it :), The internet has held a microphone up to everybodys mouth, resulting in the loony's voices now being heard, they were always there it's just that nobody paid any attention to them. People were able to decipher news from dross, but not any more, now they are all being presented the same with the result that peoples attention is being held by the white noise of nonsense.

Not only that, but the internet has given everyone with the most batshit crazy ideas the impression that they are not alone in their thoughts. Disparate groups that held weird ideas can now talk to each other via the web, when before they didn't even know each other existed. It's also a wonderful recruiting tool too.

I remember seeing David Icke on 'Wogan' years ago and thinking that the snooker commentator guy had lost his marbles. It was only with the advent of the web that I encountered him again and found that the was still going. Not only that, he now has 100,000's of followers (if not millions, I hope it's not millions) and they can all congregate on the net.

But, it's not like these nuts didn't exist in the 60's or 70's either. Remember, Kaysing wrote his book on the moon landing hoax in the early 70's and it was a bestseller. The 'Flat Earth Society' has been going in its present form for decades! And anti vaxxers have been around as long as vaccines have.

If there's one thing that prevalent in the rise of numbers of these fucking ejits, it's the internet.

In saying all of that, I wouldn't change the web as a platform for the exchange of free ideas and information one iota. Because it is still a great resource, and I would hate to see that become controlled, because of a minority (a really tiny one at that) uses it to further their various mad ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

In all sincerity, our history is white. What do they expect? I will never apologise for our glorious white forbearers who created the world we live in today.

No one ever says we shouldn’t thank the Chinese for their inventions. Or the arabs for theirs and so on. But god forbid we celebrate anything white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

N6n89hWm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It's almost like we want Trump to win again, stupid articles like this are designed only to divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I feel as if the prism of Identity Politics is used as a frame for everything in the US since Trump got elected. Democrats are too willing to indulge these people too.

I love White Men and I am not Homosexual or a Woman .

A generation of panzies that couldn't wire a plug or cook a meal or go 5 minutes without their phone or understand how to cope with rejection would make you dispair alright.

Aye, there's a lot to this that's correct.

Every generation thinks that the current one are a bunch of cretins, unable to do what they had to do. It's nearly always universally wrong as well.

Thing is though, the millennial generation and beyond have been brought up with the ability to find out anything they wish through the resource of the web. So, technically, they should be able to handle themselves very well indeed, with regards to changing a lightbulb or laying a floor or cooking a meal and whatnot. These were skills that Gen X and before had to learn from somebody, who would have to give them their time and knowledge. Today, one can look up anything they wish to learn in a matter of minutes and study it to a greater degree than ever before. The ability to find the answer to any question now is so easy, it's almost silly.

It's funny though. My folks were two generations above when they had me in their mid 40's and they hadn't a clue how to deal with me, so they just took a hands off approach for the most part. I sure my dad thought the world was falling apart when I grew my hair down to my arse and he heard the soothing strains of Napalm Death emanating from my room. But, I never got too much hassle about it. While my mates we getting the same music taken off of them, thrown in the bin and being accused of being on drugs by their parents who had them in their 20's/30's.

If there's a problem, however, with the "internet generations", it's their proclivity to think that they know it all, after reading a wiki page, and they can possess the most arrogant stances on everything. Every generation thinks that it's correct and the last one fucked things up, but there is a truly lamentable degree to which this happens nowadays. I see it in work all the time too. You get these college grads in, full of themselves on the back of some "masters" they just paid for (or their parents) and they think they have the answer to everything, yet they struggle at every hurdle a project throws up at them because they have zero practical knowledge and experience and for some of them it can be a real ordeal indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

:confused: I don't know why we should be wary of celebrating putting human beings on the Moon TBH

robman60 wrote: »
    I feel as if the prism of Identity Politics is used as a frame for everything in the US since Trump got elected. Democrats are too willing to indulge these people too.

It's been building for the last decade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement