Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Swift - Folklore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm on the fence as to whether i'd call my self an out and out fan per se because there's a fair bit of her stuff i don't like, but what i do like i like a lot! Plus she seems like an all round decent auld skin, and she's hot as hell which never hurts! She has some really great songs and 1989 is a fantastic album from start to finish, one of my all time favourites to be honest.

This one is not as instantly catchy, i don't think we're going to be hearing it on the radio every 5 minutes, but i've found myself listening to it quite a bit over the past few weeks and it's certainly a grower, has some really good songs on it. I particularly like exile (even though i'm not a Bon Iver fan at all) and the one. It's more mature than her previous stuff i think, possibly aimed at a different audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Wow what a surprise! And just in time for her 31sr birthday! Has this been planned all along or is this released on the back of the folklore success. We’ll know tomorrow!
    She’s to talented & has used this time to use it for good. Soothing music for us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I love Taylor Swift, love Folklore, possibly one of her very best albums, listen to it most days.
    It was a big surprise that we are getting a new album in five and a half hours and a sister album to Folklore.
    I just hope Folklore wins Album of he Year at the Grammys. Just a beautiful album and I picked up a limited edition signed copy as my Christmas present to myself.

[QUOTE=CruelSummer;114180748]“Taylor Swifts fans are mostly kids ,they don't have much money so charging 150 euro a ticket is unfair as its the parent who have to fork out.”

I forgot the memo that we’ve still to pretend her fans are all ‘kids’ to stay cool. She has mass appeal to all ages in my opinion depending on the songs, genre, etc. people like.
    It’s funny because the stand we were in was full of people in their 20s / 30s, some who even went to the trouble to bring snakes, etc., which was a theme of the tour. I was actually sitting beside a couple from the North who we’re approaching 60 and seemed big fans.[/QUOTE]

I saw an elderly man using a Zimmer frame at her concert in Croke Park, on the pitch and fair play to him.

After 3 listens to the Evermore album, excellent.
    Great songwriting/singing. Lovely feel to Evermore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

RobertKK wrote: »
    After 3 listens to the Evermore album, excellent.
    Great songwriting/singing. Lovely feel to Evermore.

really enjoying listening to it this morning, and watched the disney plus special last night on folklore, which was fantastci and well worth a watch if you haven't already.

Been listening on the go since early morning! Really enjoying it.
    Stand outs so far:
    willow, champagne problems, 'tis the damn season, no body no crime, cowboy like me, evermore. I'm sure this will keep changing as I keep listening! What a great surprise for Swift fans to get in this tough year for us all.

I haven't got around to listening to it yet..I will though..

Wooo Taylor!!!..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Been impressed with my first listen, it does seem a little more than just a collection of out takes.

My biggest complaint about Folklore was that it was too long and now I have another hour of material from the same sessions to soak up.

Been listening on the go since early morning! Really enjoying it.
    Stand outs so far:
    willow, champagne problems, 'tis the damn season, no body no crime, cowboy like me, evermore. I'm sure this will keep changing as I keep listening! What a great surprise for Swift fans to get in this tough year for us all.

I'm going to to add marjorie to this list also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Hi guys can I ask what age you are. With all the hype from this album I gave it a listen and was very disapointed. I can understand if you are all teenagers but there is no way somebody listened to this album and rushed to the internet to discuss it. Im half thinking of reporting some posts on this forum for shilling.

Hum drum music and lyrics by numbers. Try Joni Mitchel ladies of the canyon for comparison.

Yep, it's mega ordinary, and highly derivative.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yep, it's mega ordinary, and highly derivative.

Yawn. You should go back to your ‘extraordinary’ musicians. It’s funny, Paul McCartney recently did a full magazine shoot and interview with Taylor. He seems to think she’s ‘really good’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I must say I find all the "Taylor is so talented" narrative very amusing. Two albums which are essentially Aaron Dessner solo albums with her signing on the songs.

"So talented"....*puke*

Ya sure. She’s only had two albums that have essentially been written by The National.
    Never mind about all of those other 7 hit albums, awards and amazing tours she’s embarked on since 2006. Gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yawn. You should go back to your ‘extraordinary’ musicians. It’s funny, Paul McCartney recently did a full magazine shoot and interview with Taylor. He seems to think she’s ‘really good’.

The Beatles and Wings were a good band. Plenty of invention there. They had the good fortune of having people.like George Martin come in and widen their perspective and broaden the scope of their production values. She isn't attentive to what could bring her forward with a few sidesteps. She's like a Lady Gaga, but in another genre. There is music there, bu it comes severely short of target, because highly formatted.

Too bad about Amy Winehouse's untimely death. She had a powerful voice, a real poetry and musical invention. Her life choices were poor but as an artist, she blew Taylor Swift and Gaga out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I must say I find all the "Taylor is so talented" narrative very amusing. Two albums which are essentially Aaron Dessner solo albums with her signing on the songs.

"So talented"....*puke*

I'm sure Taylor is devastated by your review.

Ya sure. She’s only had two albums that have essentially been written by The National.
    Never mind about all of those other 7 hit albums, awards and amazing tours she’s embarked on since 2006. Gotcha

Keep on drinking that kool aid her record label are serving you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

I get that some of her music is not for everybody, but essentially this is an appreciation thread, so if you don't like her, perhaps this thread isn't for you.

This is a beautiful tribute song & video to Swift’s late Grandmother, Marjorie Finlay. Who was a singer in her own right.

https://youtu.be/hP6QpMeSG6s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Was surprised to wake up yday and hear about ‘evermore’ and been listening to it a lot since. It’s probably even better than folklore, definitely it’s an easier album to listen to, the songs are more radio friendly and less indie than folklore. What a fantastic two albums. 2 classic albums in the space of a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

"So talented"....*puke*

I think TS has one of the most beautiful singing voices of all time, her tone is exquisite, so this type of back to basics song with just piano/guitar is sounding nicer with her delivery than let’s say the National singer.
    Then to add to that she has been writing her own great songs since such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Was surprised to wake up yday and hear about ‘evermore’ and been listening to it a lot since. It’s probably even better than folklore, definitely it’s an easier album to listen to, the songs are more radio friendly and less indie than folklore. What a fantastic two albums. 2 classic albums in the space of a few months.

Had a listen over the weekend - have to say i didn't like it at all.

Had a listen over the weekend - have to say i didn't like it at all.

Gets better with every listen but I do appreciate not all of her fans are into this diversion into a more alternative / indie genre. I love that type of music & I think she’s written some really good stuff on both albums. I like all types of music though, bar rap possibly but that depends too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

After two listens I think a lot of evermore sounds closer to her traditional "pop bangers" output than what folklore offered.

May have to reassess that opinion after a few more listens.

Gets better with every listen but I do appreciate not all of her fans are into this diversion into a more alternative / indie genre. I love that type of music & I think she’s written some really good stuff on both albums. I like all types of music though, bar rap possibly but that depends too!

The lyrics are the weakest part of nearly every song she releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

The lyrics are the weakest part of nearly every song she releases.

Have you actually listened to the 2 recent albums, and listened to/studied the lyrics?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Have you actually listened to the 2 recent albums, and listened to/studied the lyrics?

Probably a troll. Taylor is the best lyricist out there currently.

Probably a troll. Taylor is the best lyricist out there currently.

There's only one troll here and it's not me.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    After two listens I think a lot of evermore sounds closer to her traditional "pop bangers" output than what folklore offered.

May have to reassess that opinion after a few more listens.

True, some of the songs on this album are definitely more radio friendly. I think that might be purposely done for the Christmas market release. It’s hard to know.
    There are other songs on this album I don’t listen to at all bar the first day. On folklore it was easy to just hit play and let it do its thing. In saying that, some of the songs on this album will definitely be easier to play on piano and guitar. And I had just mastered cardigan for the Christmas break :-)

https://youtu.be/wOORBL2C2oo

I watched a snippet of this Apple interview earlier where she says she felt ‘closure’ after releasing this album. I suspect this is the last release of this particular folkish era. One which I’ve enjoyed immensely given the times we’re living in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

I think TS has one of the most beautiful singing voices of all time, her tone is exquisite, .

It's just so effortless to her. I prefer folklore over evermore myself

Advertisement