Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating system leak and blocked fill pipe.

Options
  • 22-01-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Have a leak in my pipes probably between rads, drained some of cistern (open sys)And put in Tech7 plumb. Fill system blocked probably at first black pipe elbow after junction with PVC cistern down spout. Now I have 2 problems. I keep the rad circuit topped up manually by pouring water into the highest rad in house chromed bathroom rack rad. But think I am losing about a litre an hour so need to top up at least twice a day. Want to seal the leak without blocking anything else and get the cistern fill working again until post covid when I can get a professional to effect a more permanent solution. Help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You don't need to wait post covid to have your heating system repaired. It's an essential service.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Drain the towel rail and pour the leak sealer into it.
    Top up with water and circulate leaving the system get up to full temperature for at least an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mmuntnrr

Wearb wrote: »
    You don't need to wait post covid to have your heating system repaired. It's an essential service.

Thank you, I am just being cautious for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mmuntnrr

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Drain the towel rail and pour the leak sealer into it.
    Top up with water and circulate leaving the system get up to full temperature for at least an hour.

I think that is a good idea. May turn off at least the main valve of all the other house radiators while I do it to be careful they don't block too. Not sure if I need to or if I need to turn off both valves on each rad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Mmuntnrr wrote: »
    I think that is a good idea. May turn off at least the main valve of all the other house radiators while I do it to be careful they don't block too. Not sure if I need to or if I need to turn off both valves on each rad?

Just turn off both valves at the bottom of the towel rail, drain, refill, open back up again and run system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement