Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bands where none of the members are from their city of formation

• 14-12-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭

*Everything but the Girl. Formed in Hull; Tracey Thorn is from Hertfordshire and Ben Watt from London.
    *Gang of Four. Formed at university in Leeds; most of the members were from London, the late Andy Gill was born in Manchester, Dave Allen in Cumbria.
    *The Lighthouse Family. Formed at university in Newcastle but both of the members are Londoners.
    *Alvvays: formed in Toronto. Vocalist and keyboardist, Molly Rankin and Kerri MacLellan respectively, hail from Cape Breton, Canada and guitarist Alec O’Hanley, drummer Phil MacIssac and bassist Ryan Murphy are from neighbouring Prince Edward Island, both of which are about a 15-hour drive from Toronto.

Any others, guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The Eagles were formed in Los Angeles but none of the original four members were born there. In fact, none of the original four were born in the state of California: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon. I emphasize the original four because I am not sure about Donald Frey, son of the late Glenn, who is now in the lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I would have thought this is extremely common, the last band I was listening to today was Placebo and this applies to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Aerosmith. They were formed in Boston but none of the founding members are from there. Steven Tyler is from New York as is Ray Tabano and Joey Kramer. Joe Perry is from Lawrence, Massachusetts.

The Eagles were formed in Los Angeles but none of the original four members were born there. In fact, none of the original four were born in the state of California: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon. I emphasize the original four because I am not sure about Donald Frey, son of the late Glenn, who is now in the lineup.

Further to my previous post, none of the other late arrivals (Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmidt and Vince Gill) were from Los Angeles. Schmidt is from California but Oakland, rather than Los Angeles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Fontaines DC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Fontaines DC

Grian Chatten grew up in Skerries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Grian Chatten grew up in Skerries.
    Yeah, I knew Fontaines would be a debatable addition. Skerries is not Dublin city though.
    Pedantry / mischievousness aside, the Police would fit the bill I think.
    Soft Cell, like Gang of Four above, met at college in Leeds.

Muse formed in Teignmouth, Devon. Matt Bellamy is from Cambridge, Christopher Wolstenholme is from Rotherham and Dominic Howard from Stockport.

Talking Heads was formed in New York City but none of its founder members were from there. David Byrne was born in Scotland, but initially raised in Canada, before moving to the U.S. state of Maryland. Chris Frantz was from Kentucky. Tina Weymouth was from Coronado, California. Two years later, when they were still a New York-based band, they were joined by Jerry Harrison, who was from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Easybeats

Australian but all members were born in the UK or Holland.

They all grew up a migrant hostle in Sydney.

• Advertisement

I almost thought it said Tina was from Colorado!

Berlin (take my breath away, immortalized in too gun movie)

Are you sure about that? Berlin were formed in Orange County, California, and founder member and bassist John Crawford was born in California, possibly in that region. I can't find his exact place of birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

snow patrol were all students from northern ireland at dundee university (afaik)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭rpirl

Idlewild

None of the four original members were from Edinburgh (two of them were from England)

One or two of the later / replacement members might've been from the city

The Stunning ?

None of the main four members were from Galway but they did have other guys who were in the band playing saxophone, keyboards etc. - so maybe some of those members might've been locals

Mighty Oaks. Berlin-based indie rock trio. Consists of an American, an Italian and an Englishman. Lead singer Ian Hooper's from Gig Harbor, WA but is half-Irish.

another Berlin three-piece

Ballet School -- frontwoman Rosie Blair is from Northern Ireland, guitar player Michel Collet from Brazil and one-man rhythm section Louis McGuire is English

Stone Temple Pilots

Origins of band were in southern California but the DeLeo brothers (guitar and bass) were from New Jersey

Singer Scott Weiland and drummer Eric Kretz were both born in San Jose, California but don't seem to have known each other, Weiland grew up in Ohio as well

Advertisement