Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Sims General Discussion / Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

rFactor 2 down to half price on Steam at €14.99, not played it myself so not sure if that's a good deal or not? http://store.steampowered.com/app/365960/

Also, Sparco are getting into the sim-racing market with a new cockpit and possible steering wheel according to this link: http://simracingpaddock.com/sim-hw/sparco-announces-sparco-gaming-entering-virtual-world/

This is their Evolve cockpit, no mention of price or when it'll be out. I guess the more competition out there the better for us. :)

Cockpit-Evolve-696x522.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭Doge

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Dirt Rally down to €19.99 if anyone doesn't have it already.

Same price on PS4 at the moment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

The kids will have to wait :D

Wow, lovely haul! :cool:

Happy Christmas folks, hope you have a good one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, finally got it set up! Since 8 in the morning hehe.

Now it is not a patch on your setups here lads, but for a part timer racing sim fan it will do now. :)

DSC_1281_zpsbgs5vzzo.jpg

So far experience is really good with few issues.

First of all with wheel stand and proper position I am already driving way better and it feels more natural then old setup with g27, which was just bolting the damn thing on old table.
    My one 34Inc 3440x1440 monitor is way better then 3x1080p 23inch monitor setup. Performance and actual proper field of view wise it is way better. On benchmark I get 120fps, so I have steady 60fps in all races even with a lot of cars in asseto corsa. Happy days!
    Now a bit off bad stuff:
    Took a while to realise that I need to manually set up G29 in AC! G27 would at least do most of it by default amd then you tweet stuff. I got it all working amd it's fine.
    Automobilista is just completely broken with G29. Clutch is not working and red. H shifter is just not working properly. 1St gear is 5th gear, 2nd gear is 6th. Even when I just try to go to random race, car just sits there amd does not move. Even engage car in first gear, but clutch is not working and can't do a thing just rev engine and turn wheel... Looks like support for G29 is not great even from reading random Googled forum posts. Will have to fiddle around with it when I got more time.
    Downloading Forza horizon 3 now.

Meanwhile I am messing around in fiat 500 on AC. :) Love AC and it's as good as I remember.

Any other good games I can check out? No need to be pure sims. Something like dirt motocross would be fun. I know dirt rally is good, but I am not really in to solo rally driving, prefer some races where I can brush against my opponents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I know loads of G29 users with no issues in automobilista, you are 100% missing something your end.
    Google your issue or go to AMS forums, you are missing out on the best sim available, i guarantee you are doing something small your end.

Dirt Rally is amazing, its not just a rally sim it also has rally cross racing with AI opponents.

Other than that dirt 3 rallycross is fun, its not a sim or even close to it but good fun for a while, probably dirt cheap now on steam too :)

With that setup you should really consider getting euro truck simulator 2, such a relaxing experience and different to anything else on the market.

Finally , move that nice big screen closer to your eyes :)

Dcully wrote: »
    I know loads of G29 users with no issues in automobilista, you are 100% missing something your end.
    Google your issue or go to AMS forums, you are missing out on the best sim available, i guarantee you are doing something small your end.

Dirt Rally is amazing, its not just a rally sim it also has rally cross racing with AI opponents.

Other than that dirt 3 rallycross is fun, its not a sim or even close to it but good fun for a while, probably dirt cheap now on steam too :)

With that setup you should really consider getting euro truck simulator 2, such a relaxing experience and different to anything else on the market.

Finally , move that nice big screen closer to your eyes :)

I have Dirt 3, but I think I never gave it a proper go. I know its not sim, but its all about fun in the end. :)

I will still sort it out, just no time. We going to my misses mothers house for xmas dinner soon, so it will have to be put away for when I got time. For now I am messing around in AC and hopefully FH3 will be downloaded when we get back home.

All in all, I am very happy now. So much less hassle to set up and put away. I will have a lot more driving time for sure now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Enjoy your setup man.

Yes dirt 3 can be a lot of fun, still looks great too.

I know I most likely be banned from here for this, but... I kind really having fun with Forza Horizon 3... :)

I left it to download while we were out for dinner at misses mothers house and when I got back I gave it a wee bash.
    I'll be honest, I expected it not even run on my pc, but I put settings on high, turned off all sort off AA ( at my resolution I found it useless and just too taxing), motion blur off and the damn thing runs pretty neat at 50-70 fps!!!

Now I know its not a sim, but god its fun to fly down the road and avoiding traffic while racing some npc.
    One downside is that H shifter is not working on it, so I am stuck with just paddle shift. Its fun though.

Great, less stressful fun with steering wheel and G29 works pretty well!

Looks like for now I will be switching between AC and FH3. When I got spare time i will try to get automobilista working.

I know I most likely be banned from here for this, but... I kind really having fun with Forza Horizon 3... :)

I left it to download while we were out for dinner at misses mothers house and when I got back I gave it a wee bash.
    I'll be honest, I expected it not even run on my pc, but I put settings on high, turned off all sort off AA ( at my resolution I found it useless and just too taxing), motion blur off and the damn thing runs pretty neat at 50-70 fps!!!

Now I know its not a sim, but god its fun to fly down the road and avoiding traffic while racing some npc.
    One downside is that H shifter is not working on it, so I am stuck with just paddle shift. Its fun though.

Great, less stressful fun with steering wheel and G29 works pretty well!

Looks like for now I will be switching between AC and FH3. When I got spare time i will try to get automobilista working.

Horizon 3 is good fun alright, played it for a little bit and the car collecting side to it was what I found most fun. Actually bought a bunch of car games for the Xbox One while I was waiting for my wheel to arrive that time - Dirt Rally, FH3, Forza 6. Haven't touched any of them since I got AMS on the PC. :pac:

Did you get a chance to see if you could get it working? I had a look over the manual and it mentioned a problem where your car wouldn't move at all - if this happens then check the clutch settings in the Controls section - it might already be pressed and preventing the car from moving.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Horizon 3 is good fun alright, played it for a little bit and the car collecting side to it was what I found most fun. Actually bought a bunch of car games for the Xbox One while I was waiting for my wheel to arrive that time - Dirt Rally, FH3, Forza 6. Haven't touched any of them since I got AMS on the PC. :pac:

Did you get a chance to see if you could get it working? I had a look over the manual and it mentioned a problem where your car wouldn't move at all - if this happens then check the clutch settings in the Controls section - it might already be pressed and preventing the car from moving.

In fairness, I know it's pure arcade racer game, but it's just fun. Feels great too.

I spent all day in bed sick. Didn't even touched my setup. Only had a chance to play a bit on Xmas day. I am still very very sock, but already at work since 9 and be lucky to finish 9:30 tonight.
    I am off Thursday and Friday so hopefully will be in form to mess around with my setup and get AMS working too.

Happy New Year folks, all the best for 2017! :)

Havent posted in a while, but I am not dead yet! YET! Very busy at work due to xmas and all free time I had was consumer by xmas and family.

Anyway, I am still using my setup and loving it. The beauty of wheel stand shines now. Its just so easy to set it up and play. Takes me less then 2min to set it, connect it and launch game. Massive difference from old g27 days and 3 monitor setup... Was taking me good 15min do set it all up and constant issues with 3 monitor setup.

I managed to get Automobilista to work, but did not played it much. What I tried, it felt very very different from any other sim/game I tried. It actually feels like cars have weight and stance, where in other games/sims it feels that you drive a car with 20kg weight. Will need to give it more time. I just dont see any cars I want to race in there.

Most of you will hate it, but if I had time I played forza horizon 3. Its just fun. I am still horrible at it and I bet I would be better with controller due to experience, but as I said, its fun. Its a shame H shifter of g29 does not work, but I love paddle shift now. Kind of annoying that G920 works perfectly...

Lads I'm in need an upgrade for a racing seat and I've been thinking about buying a cheap used bucket seat and mounting it to a base like these:

M28659841.jpg

Unfortunately this one isnt available outside the U.S. so looks like this OMP one is the next best thing:

http://www.rallynuts.com/omp-promotional/omp-seat-display-stand.html

X963_330.jpg

double drilled to suit both base or side mounted OMP seats.

Anyone have any experience in mounting bucket seats on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So i picked up a G29 in currys the other day,on holidays for a week after today so ive either got to improvise some sort of mount or go and buy one of the various stands/seats that are for sale.

Room is quite limited so something that could be put away in a reasonably small utility cupboard would be ideal.

The stand i liked the look of is the Wheel Stand Pro,just over €100 on amazon. Id like something a little cheaper though or an idea for something i could put together myself.

So anyone got any advice regarding this stuff,i had a few wheels when i was younger but they were mostly suction cup stuff that just stuck onto any old table so im a bit lost here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

EoinHef wrote: »
    So i picked up a G29 in currys the other day,on holidays for a week after today so ive either got to improvise some sort of mount or go and buy one of the various stands/seats that are for sale.

Room is quite limited so something that could be put away in a reasonably small utility cupboard would be ideal.

The stand i liked the look of is the Wheel Stand Pro,just over €100 on amazon. Id like something a little cheaper though or an idea for something i could put together myself.

So anyone got any advice regarding this stuff,i had a few wheels when i was younger but they were mostly suction cup stuff that just stuck onto any old table so im a bit lost here.

I got one of these, its pretty neat.

Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The GT Omega pro sim rig arrived the other day, delivered from Scotland in two days, a day earlier than I was expecting.

I'm still waiting on everything else so I haven't used it yet. I have it assembled and have my old pedals and wheel attached to it to get it set up to my height for when the real stuff arrives.

It has a fair amount of adjustability, however that adjustability is built into the frames assembly, other than the seat having standard adjustments like for the back rest and moving it forward and backwards there's no on the fly adjustments. To adjust wheel height you have to disassemble it slightly and assemble it at the new height.

Which is mostly fine, it just means if someone else wants to use it they have to be the same size as you, or you have to reassemble. It's not a major issue to reassemble but it's going to take a few minutes and it's going to wear out the nuts and bolts if you're constantly readjusting.

I would say that I'm the maximum size that will fit into this frame though. I'm about 6'2" and a 42" waist. You could be taller but no wider. The whole unit is a bit on the narrow side, the seat itself is about two or three inches narrower than a real car seat, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if it didn't flair the seat edges so they stick up at the sides.

There isn't a whole lot of adjustment in the wheel height but it's just in the right position (right position being chest height centre wheel) for me at maximum and I'm one of those people that has shorter legs and a longer torso. So even if you are taller it may still be fine.

Other than the seat being a bit narrow it's a very nice seat, seems well made so far and looks sporty. But I've only just sat in it for size references really. The two sets of instructions I ended up with weren't great but it's not rocket science. I wasn't expecting to get the keyboard tray, for some reason I thought that was an extra.

The whole thing assembled is smaller than I thought it would be, I don't know why but I thought it would take up more room, but it's fairly compact, it could quiet easily fit in a corner and take up no more space than any other normal sized piece of furniture like a table or dresser.

Fanatec also upgraded their clubsport v2 wheel to the clubsport v2.5, I've heard rumors that anyone that's waiting on pre order (which would be me) is getting an automatic upgrade, which would be great because I think the new one is more expensive. I'm still waiting for them to confirm payment through bank order.

I don't think there are any major differences, the only thing I could see was a change to the USB rate.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I got one of these, its pretty neat.

Amazon

Thanks whiterebel,is it easy to break down and store away?

The only reason i was looking at the wheelstand pro was it looks very easy to just fold away to be stored. But if that one could be broke down quickly its a good bit cheaper. I do see a few negative reviews,mostly down to a specific weld breaking it seems. Im unsure how much daily use this would get yet though so may not be an issue.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The GT Omega pro sim rig arrived the other day, delivered from Scotland in two days, a day earlier than I was expecting.

I'm still waiting on everything else so I haven't used it yet. I have it assembled and have my old pedals and wheel attached to it to get it set up to my height for when the real stuff arrives.

It has a fair amount of adjustability, however that adjustability is built into the frames assembly, other than the seat having standard adjustments like for the back rest and moving it forward and backwards there's no on the fly adjustments. To adjust wheel height you have to disassemble it slightly and assemble it at the new height.

Which is mostly fine, it just means if someone else wants to use it they have to be the same size as you, or you have to reassemble. It's not a major issue to reassemble but it's going to take a few minutes and it's going to wear out the nuts and bolts if you're constantly readjusting.

I would say that I'm the maximum size that will fit into this frame though. I'm about 6'2" and a 42" waist. You could be taller but no wider. The whole unit is a bit on the narrow side, the seat itself is about two or three inches narrower than a real car seat, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if it didn't flair the seat edges so they stick up at the sides.

There isn't a whole lot of adjustment in the wheel height but it's just in the right position (right position being chest height centre wheel) for me at maximum and I'm one of those people that has shorter legs and a longer torso. So even if you are taller it may still be fine.

Other than the seat being a bit narrow it's a very nice seat, seems well made so far and looks sporty. But I've only just sat in it for size references really. The two sets of instructions I ended up with weren't great but it's not rocket science. I wasn't expecting to get the keyboard tray, for some reason I thought that was an extra.

The whole thing assembled is smaller than I thought it would be, I don't know why but I thought it would take up more room, but it's fairly compact, it could quiet easily fit in a corner and take up no more space than any other normal sized piece of furniture like a table or dresser.

Fanatec also upgraded their clubsport v2 wheel to the clubsport v2.5, I've heard rumors that anyone that's waiting on pre order (which would be me) is getting an automatic upgrade, which would be great because I think the new one is more expensive. I'm still waiting for them to confirm payment through bank order.

I don't think there are any major differences, the only thing I could see was a change to the USB rate.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Now all your short is a VR headset to go with it! :P

Speaking of which I added the PSVR to my setup on Monday and boy has it improved my laptimes in Dirt Rally!

You can instantly see when the car is drifting allowing you to use opposite lock faster as opposed to using a 2D setup.
    As well as being able to see the apex by turning your head.

The only issue I'm having with it is that my depth perception goes funny afterwards in real life.

That aside I'd recommend anyone on here to try out a VR setup, even with the lower resolution it will not make you want to go back to using a TV screen or monitors.

I also bought a bucket seat cheap recently from a Toyota Celica, I just need to mount a wooden base to it and I'll get take a pic.

Next up is to buy a sequential shifter and finally finish the hydraulic handbrake.

Ordered the wheel stand pro today from their uk site,€113 with shipping. Bit more than id have liked to spend but i wanna be able to use the new wheel comfortably. Also storing it seems to be very quick and easy. On holidays from work this week so hopefully they ship in the morning and i get it before week end.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Now all your short is a VR headset to go with it! :P
    The rig is sitting there and I can't do anything with it, it's torture. :D
    Speaking of which I added the PSVR to my setup on Monday and boy has it improved my laptimes in Dirt Rally!
    I actually got to try the PSVR, it's impressive. I only got to try a 360 video in it, but it was in a car, no issues seeing the outside world even though the video itself was very poor quality.

Wheelstand pro arrived this morning,ordered sunday from the uk distributor . Decent service that. Be setting it up later,excited to try the wheel minus the wonky table!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

The stand is great. Fully adjustable and can be folded away between sessions if needs be. Almost as important a piece of kit as a good wheel in my opinion.

Man my ankles are killing me,feel like i drove the length of the country today:o

When its good its great,when its bad its rough! Some moments of major frustration followed by moments of major elation:P

Really happy with how the new wheel and stand panned out,as we speak its resting comfortably in a small closet next door to the sitting room. Because of the way it folds away it suits my limited space perfectly and takes literally 2-3 mins to pull out and setup. Not making the wheel convenient was a major fear for me when buying,if its not quick to set up and put away id just end up not using it. Also hats off to my understanding girlfriend,most women would have left me by now:p

Dirt Rally can feck off though,either the wheel is totally set up wrong for it or im just really bad,either is possible,gonna play it with a controller for a bit and see if it responds differently then work from there,i did follow an online guide though so maybe that particular one was rubbish,google is not always our friend:pac:

EoinHef wrote: »
    Dirt Rally can feck off though,either the wheel is totally set up wrong for it or im just really bad,either is possible,gonna play it with a controller for a bit and see if it responds differently then work from there,i did follow an online guide though so maybe that particular one was rubbish,google is not always our friend:pac:

Dirt rally is as hard as nails and takes a bit of practice to get used to it but I find the default FFB settings aren't that great.

Try out the "Real Rally Driver" settings by Lar555:

vibr.jpg

advanced.jpg

Dirt rally is awesome. My wheel wasn't really up to it though, it kept snapping off centre. It's one of the games I'm looking forward to spending some time with this weekend. Rift should arrive at some point today, new wheel tomorrow.

It is incredibly difficult, and if you think your going fast, you're about to crash.

Dirt rally is awesome. My wheel wasn't really up to it though, it kept snapping off centre. It's one of the games I'm looking forward to spending some time with this weekend. Rift should arrive at some point today, new wheel tomorrow.

It is incredibly difficult, and if you think your going fast, you're about to crash.

Woohoo, youre finally getting the Rift!

Hope you love it.

What wheel are you getting?

Fecking UPS sent one of my fanatec packages to Cork (I'm in co. Galway) Sickened. I had such high hopes for this weekend. Got the pedals and wheel rim but no wheelbase until Monday.

Rift came yesterday, I did some of the experience things, which were good, played lucky's tail, pretty run of the mill platformer, but the effect worked well.

I tried to hold off loading AC as I had no wheel setup but I loaded it up and ran the benchmark. AC looked incredible in VR, really stand out, everything felt really realistic it's incredible how much detail there is on the interior of cars. They even modeled connectors going into boxes on the roof. Real sense of presence compared to the other things I did. Which may be because the other experience things are very cartoony and real video seems a bit odd. I didn't go any further than the benchmark. Even though the rift is giving me warnings over my CPU, i7 2600k I don't notice any issues, may be different in game.

I'll set up my old wheel and the clubsport pedals for the weekend but so sickened I won't be able to use the wheelbase.

Finally got the clubsport wheel all set up, crikey, this thing is a completely different kettle of fish to what I'm used to. There's no noticeable cogging at all. It's extremely smooth and quiet. This setup is a fairly big step up from where I was. It's so weird compared to my old wheel, it's almost like touching a live fish, it has a muscular feel to it's action. I'm still getting used to it but it's a different league.

Tried Dirt rally yesterday too, spew city. Frame rate was terrible, the wheel setup is awful. I might try again at some point but didn't go well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Finally got the clubsport wheel all set up, crikey, this thing is a completely different kettle of fish to what I'm used to. There's no noticeable cogging at all. It's extremely smooth and quiet. This setup is a fairly big step up from where I was. It's so weird compared to my old wheel, it's almost like touching a live fish, it has a muscular feel to it's action. I'm still getting used to it but it's a different league.

Tried Dirt rally yesterday too, spew city. Frame rate was terrible, the wheel setup is awful. I might try again at some point but didn't go well at all.

What wheel have you moved on from please?

Advertisement