Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a Newbie

Options
  • 29-06-2012 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

join the ISKA, do some basic training and go an a few led trips (try Sean Pierce in Skerries or Des Keaney in Wicklow - they are the closest to you that I know of), try as many different boats as you can and get some sort of idea what type of boat you like and what sort of boat suits you before you decide to buy anything.
    If you get a reasonable boat to start with, you'll have a better chance of selling it on later, if you decide to change. A decent 2nd hand plastic will probably be 700-odd euro, a glass boat might be 1500-2000 euro. A lot depends on condition and specs. You will find boats a lower prices, some will be genuine bargains, some will be unseaworthy...

Try to get hold of some 2nd hand gear to start with - you'll need a paddle, bouyancy and cag at least. I wouldn't bother with a spraydeck until you have a boat, unless you can find a cheapo adjustable nylon deck.
    Some people paddle in wetsuits, I never do unless I'm planning to be in the water a lot (ie most of the session). If you have a wetsuit, use it but I wouldn't advise buying one especially for paddling - there's a good chance you will only get one season out of it before you buy more comfortable attire. Paddling is a bit like hillwalking in the rain - good waterproof gear is the key.

hope that helps....

iska.ie, wiska.ie and ecskc.eu for more seakayaking info and boats for sale
    irishfreestyle.com is good for 2nd hand gear

Advertisement