Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on which club I should go with.

Options
  • 18-09-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello.

After some reading on the forum here about Canoeing and Kayaking I've come to the conclusion that I should join a club in where I can learn how to enjoy
    and know the sport best. I presume individual clubs would do lessons for newbies?

I'm in Co Dublin. So which club is the best, bear in mind I'm 20. Would be nice
    to be in a good age group mixed group.

I can't swim, that dosen't bother me, although I am going to take up lessons within the next two weeks.

Is their any pointers you could give me on the sport?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

What part of Co. Dublin are you in? This a big place... I would suggest WWKC, www.wwkc.net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Or else maybe Salmon Leap if you're near Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭carmad

What part of Co. Dublin are you in? This a big place... I would suggest WWKC, www.wwkc.net.

Very true, just about 10 minutes from blessington. Leixlip wouldn't be far either. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

carmad wrote: »

Very true, just about 10 minutes from blessington. Leixlip wouldn't be far either. Thanks.
    Hi OP and congratulations on making one of the most rewarding decisions you'll probably ever make.

You should consult www.canoe.ie for a list of local clubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

If Your close to Blessington Give Jenny in www.outdoorevolution.ie a email She should be able to help you out!!!

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I can't swim, that dosen't bother me, although I am going to take up lessons within the next two weeks.

You've already got the names of the 2 main clubs (with premises) in Dublin. Rockhoppers is another with no club who just meet up, although you'd be better to get experience first.

The ICU also run intro courses themselves, although I think only in Summer.
    http://www.canoe.ie/en-gb/trainingcourses/introductorycourses.aspx

In regard to swimming. You really need to get this sorted out. 50m doggy paddle is the prerequisite if memory serves me correctly. You'll need to be confident in water to deal with capsize drills, eskimo rescues and eventually and eskimo roll. You need the capsize and rescue to be allowed near a weir.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Annunakicoming

How's it going
    Newbie paddler here looking to paddle around skerries ,rush,loughshinny...I'm looking for buddy or buddies ..even a local club to go out on paddles with...level 2 and improving....any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 8 orlagh

Hello.

After some reading on the forum here about Canoeing and Kayaking I've come to the conclusion that I should join a club in where I can learn how to enjoy
    and know the sport best. I presume individual clubs would do lessons for newbies?

I'm in Co Dublin. So which club is the best, bear in mind I'm 20. Would be nice
    to be in a good age group mixed group.

Is their any pointers you could give me on the sport?

Thank you.

Lacken Kayak Club is closest to you. Lake session every Thur eve at 7pm and regular weekend river trips. Pool sessions in winter also. All levels catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You wouldn't be too far from Tullow either who seem to be a very active club.

Salmon Leap are more into competitive disciplines than recreational kayaking - WWKC would be best for that (I believe there is one upcoming beginners course there mail beginners@wwkc.net & see http://www.wwkc.net/index.php/courses)

Advertisement