Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Super Mario Bros 2 (the "real 2") on the Game and Watch... first time playing this title and it's lots of fun. Has a lot of sound effects from Mario 3 I notice, like the skidding sound

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I tried the demo of Boomerang Fu last night and it's pretty good. Demo looks to be limited to a single human player and up to 3 bots, but the core mechanic is good fun - effectively a modern spin on the likes of Bomberman. I'll be picking up the full version, but not until I've cleared off a few games from my in-progress list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Tried that Boomerang Fu. Great game. Definitely one for local game night.
    Just powered up BOTW for the first time in over 2 years according to my game save. Beat the shrine id left off at. Remember getting frustrated at it over 2 years ago and moving on. For the week that's in it with Age of Calamity coming out I'm gonna dive back into this for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Tried that Boomerang Fu. Great game. Definitely one for local game night.
    Just powered up BOTW for the first time in over 2 years according to my game save. Beat the shrine id left off at. Remember getting frustrated at it over 2 years ago and moving on. For the week that's in it with Age of Calamity coming out I'm gonna dive back into this for the next few days.

Patience Grasshopper !

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Really enjoying Redeemer, a top-down slasher/shooter. There's nothing original there but the movement and the flow of the action is very satisfying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks to whomever recommended Bulletstorm

Great bit of fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks to whomever recommended Bulletstorm

Great bit of fun!

I played and finished it the first time around on the 360, loved it there.
    Saw it for cheap in the Switch, plus the added Duke material made it a sure fire buy...
    Oddly the controller, either the Joycons or the Pro Controller just feel weird, I think it's the stick or something, it just feels off.
    It's the same with Doom...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just spent an hour or so playing the first 4 levels of Serious Sam 1. Still a great game, and an excellent switch port.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    Just spent an hour or so playing the first 4 levels of Serious Sam 1. Still a great game, and an excellent switch port.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I played some of it on Stadia... still don't like it!

It's very old school (like Doom '93 or Duke Nukem 3D, but with good graphics!). Quick save a lot. :)

How much did you play?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    It's very old school (like Doom '93 or Duke Nukem 3D, but with good graphics!). Quick save a lot. :)

How much did you play?

I played quite a bit the first time around, and when it popped up on Stadia I went for it, it has 2 and 3 in there as well.
    A bit like Duke, I think they were fun in their day but I'm not sure I'm wired right for these games these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Picked up XCOM 2 for just under €20 and it is great. Once you get used to the controller layout rather than having the mouse it plays nicely.

I only noticed one small bit of slow down in my base when I moved from the lab to engineering it took a bit longer than usual. But once that lasted about 5 seconds. Otherwise, it is pretty flawless (bar all the existing bugs that the PC version had).

Played what must be one of the DLC missions last night. Shen goes to find a mysterious signal from her dad? and there is a whole thing with her brother and loads of robots and different levels you can only access via elevators one at a time.

I must have been at it for a good solid few hours. Think it took nearly 40 turns to beat it. But it was amazing. Delighted I picked it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭brevity

Skyrim.

God I love Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really enjoying Fallout:The Outer Worlds, took a while to get used to combat, but starting to get into its stride now.

Great characters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Over the weekend picked up:

Crysis, Metro, Metro 2033, Bioshock Collection, Borderlands Collection.

Forgot how much fund Borderlands is - plays great handheld or big screen.
    Might get to finish Crysis/Metros this time around....

I do need to stop adding to my backlog though.....
    [discovered today that dekudeals will give a cost of your collection... that was sobering :D ]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Really debating if I should pick up Diablo again, €20 in Russia. It's either that or Xcom 2, decisions decisions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Really debating if I should pick up Diablo again, €20 in Russia. It's either that or Xcom 2, decisions decisions!!

That Diablo III - isn't that 60 FPS on the little old Switch ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Finished Return of the Obra Dinn last night, 100% completion.

What an amazing game. I loved the story, the graphical style and most of all the mechanics of the game - no other game has made me feel like a true detective. The only fault I can give it is that the ending is not a stand-out, even the good 100% ending. The journey is more rewarding than the ending.

I would say it is the best game I have played all year and giving it's uniqueness I won't be forgetting it in hurry.

I was lucky to grab it on sale a few months back for €9.99.

Very highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished Return of the Obra Dinn last night, 100% completion.

What an amazing game. I loved the story, the graphical style and most of all the mechanics of the game - no other game has made me feel like a true detective. The only fault I can give it is that the ending is not a stand-out, even the good 100% ending. The journey is more rewarding than the ending.

I would say it is the best game I have played all year and giving it's uniqueness I won't be forgetting it in hurry.

I was lucky to grab it on sale a few months back for €9.99.

Very highly recommended.

Picked it up a few weeks back and only played an hour or so. Id say its the type of game you'd need to stick with. Did full play through take long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

skerry wrote: »
    Picked it up a few weeks back and only played an hour or so. Id say its the type of game you'd need to stick with. Did full play through take long?

Took me just over 12 hours to 100%. In fairness at the start the mechanics of the watch is very confusing, I had to google non-spoiler tips to understand how it worked and also what some of the interface related to - the triangles above people's head in the book, the X's and /'s in the book as well.

But towards the end I got very comfortable jumping from section to section and going back and forth in time.

• Advertisement

I got stuck during an early attack by some tentacled beastie, didn't know how to progress so, rather than be comsumed with self-esteem issues, I put it aside... I am feeling pretty good about myself right now, so this zenith might be the right time to try it again!

My copy of Age of Calamity finally arrived from Smyths, 10 days after it was due. Only a small bit in. Good mindless fun with more of the story that I loved from before.

Played a couple of hours of Crosscode over the last 2 nights. The rave reviews are warranted - it's a great game.

The story seems good (word is that it gets really good).
    It's an action RPG (not turn based) and it has lovely pixel art and music.

The main story is about 30 hours, but double that if you want to do everything.

Today is the last day at sale price (€11.50 in Russia, €13.99 here).
    Goes back to €19.99 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    That Diablo III - isn't that 60 FPS on the little old Switch ?

Went for this after, what a great little port and great to have D3 in handheld

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've played loads more XCOM 2 and it just gets better. Played for hours last night, the only reason I stopped was I ran out of battery.

The only thing I'd advise is to turn off the action cam. It is pretty janky (it was on PC also). The game plays and looks much better without it.

Otherwise, this is an amazing port.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Got Hue there for €0.24 on SA store as I had some points from a recent cart purchase... lovely game to pick up and play and the simple graphics look stunning on the handheld screen. Get my Limbo fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Haven't played my Switch in a while but the last game was Link's Awakening. Much enjoyed and fairly breezed through it - but with one quick google to save time (not sure how to do spoilers but "ribbit").

I'm guessing this is just a simpler game than A Link to the Past, as all handheld games tend to be imo (maybe by design?), but it often strikes me that I've actually gotten a lot better at (certain types at least) games compared to when I was a kid. IDK, I suppose you pick up all the ticks and language of games and kind of see what you're supposed to do.

But when I was young? Jesus brutal. A game like Super Metroid would have me going all the way to the corner of the map, look around pointlessly and find nothing, wonder did I properly check the other corner room, go back, look around pointlessly and find nothing, wonder did I properly check the other corner room...:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm just a simpleton :o

After been more focused on non Nintendo games for awhile, I finally decided to dive into Age of Calamity. And after about 5 hours of play I have a late contender for game of the year.
    I'm a huge fan of BOTW so that heavily seats my opinion. The whole thing is just so fun and gorgeous looking. Add in the storyline that you already technically know the outcome to, the whole thing is just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

Playing Grindstone. Only released a few weeks ago on switch and is 25% off until end of month. Was previously exclusive to Apple Arcade on ios devices. I can see why, this is a fantastic puzzle game. Don't sleep on it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m reading back looking for games for impending lockdown. Has anyone played the Harry potters? I know my kiddo would love me to play them but not sure what to expect

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/lego-harry-potter-collection-switch/

Also, does anyone know if this is like the super mario land platformer of old? I’d love that!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-switch/

Advertisement