Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Accommodation - Issues/Effects on Local Prices

Options
  • 26-01-2021 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

So I have been looking at a house that I like in an area that I really like.

I recently learned that there is a proposal to develop a large (over 300 beds) student accommodation/village very close to the house.

I have spoken to friends and family who don't think this would be a deal breaker for them and my gut feeling is that it wouldn't be for me either (I used to be a student myself and don't begrudge kids making noise/having fun).

My questions are:
    - How do people who do live close to student accommodation find it? Is it a hassle or does it cause no issues at all?
    - Does it affect local property prices? If I buy a house today and a large student accommodation is built in a few months will the house be worth less?

Interested in people's thoughts.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If I were buying a family home, I'd be avoiding anywhere very close to purpose build student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If I were buying a family home, I'd be avoiding anywhere very close to purpose build student accommodation.

You won’t be buying a house on Temple Road, so. Perhaps the 3rd most expensive road in the country.

I don’t think generalisations are required. A lot of the new build student accommodation over the past few years has been in inner city areas but there have been some suburban units. In general, it will lead to a greater proliferation of convenience shops (Spars etc). To the extent that they are well managed, I do not see them as any significantly different to other apartment blocks except that as they are rarely tenant managed, better car is taken of the common areas and the interaction with streetscape etc.

Advertisement