Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a married couple have two PPRs - one each?

Options
  • 26-01-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I was talking to someone the other day and they said that they had a relative who was married and lived in Dublin with his wife, but he had recently moved to Donegal.
    Anyway the story went on that they owned the house in Dublin outright.
    They decided to rent rooms in the one in both houses for the rent a room relief.
    To get around tax, the one in Donegal is his PPR and the one in Dublin is her PPR. Apparently he does not have to live with his wife. They can have separate houses where they live, even if they spend equal amounts of time with each other in their own houses.

I was confused. Is this allowed by revenue?
    On the face of it, i dont see why a married couple have to live with each other all the time, but its a tax dodge for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is that they're probably not getting away with it.

If they're both listed on the deeds of both properties, then the sale of either house will result in CGT being payable by at least one spouse. For example, if the house in Dublin is sold for a gain of €100,000 on the original purchase, then there is a €100k CGT liability. Half of that is his - and since it's not his PPR he will have to pay full whack. She will be able to claim PPR relief on her €50k.

If they spend equal amounts of time with each other in each house, then Revenue are unlikely to accept the "This house is mine and this house is hers" explanation, since they're both spending six months of the year in each house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

seamus wrote: »
    Short answer is that they're probably not getting away with it.

If they're both listed on the deeds of both properties, then the sale of either house will result in CGT being payable by at least one spouse. For example, if the house in Dublin is sold for a gain of €100,000 on the original purchase, then there is a €100k CGT liability. Half of that is his - and since it's not his PPR he will have to pay full whack. She will be able to claim PPR relief on her €50k.

If they spend equal amounts of time with each other in each house, then Revenue are unlikely to accept the "This house is mine and this house is hers" explanation, since they're both spending six months of the year in each house.

Seems like an odd arrangement alright.
    I dont know the exact ins and outs of it. Just thought it was an interesting setup.
    I do know that when I was married the house was in my name. And my ex had her original house still but in her name only. Even though we were married. So maybe thats their setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

AFIK a married couple can only have 1 PPR. This can regularly come up when a couple live in the country but "himself" works in Dublin and they buy an apartment for him to live in Monday to Friday, or a couple meet up late in life and both come owning a property outright. It doesn't matter about the circumstances - one couple = one PPR.

DubCount wrote: »
    AFIK a married couple can only have 1 PPR. This can regularly come up when a couple live in the country but "himself" works in Dublin and they buy an apartment for him to live in Monday to Friday, or a couple meet up late in life and both come owning a property outright. It doesn't matter about the circumstances - one couple = one PPR.

I can see that happening a lot alright.
    What if they werent married?
    Which sparks another thought in my head :)
    If they were married could they separate, but stay very good friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

You can be one of these three:

Jointly Assessed
    Separately Assessed
    or Separate Treatment.

Could they not go on separate treatment?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/marital-status/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/separate-treatment.aspx

It would be interesting to know if this has any bearing on PPRs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

You can be one of these three:

Jointly Assessed
    Separately Assessed
    or Separate Treatment.

Could they not go on separate treatment?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/marital-status/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/separate-treatment.aspx

It would be interesting to know if this has any bearing on PPRs.

The wording on the CGT exemption states that a married couple are treated as a single individual for the purpose of this PPR exemption. I dont see how basis of assessment changes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You need to ask over in the Taxation forum for the technical reply but, yes, while rare, a married couple did get to have 2 PPRs. One Dublin, one Galway. Unsure whether it was through the courts or through a Revenue appeal.
    It's rare but it has happened. Have others followed suit since? That's likely also. But only a handful would meet the criteria.

I heard a few stories over the last few days of couples (still happily married) separating and doing this after the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

As a married couple, if you have two or more properties you have to nominate which property is your PPR.

Section 604 TCA 1997 deals with PPR - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/39/section/604/enacted/en/html

Revenue are smart to the fact that people try to say well I live in that house and she lives in the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bikeman1 wrote: »
    As a married couple, if you have two or more properties you have to nominate which property is your PPR.

Section 604 TCA 1997 deals with PPR - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/39/section/604/enacted/en/html

Revenue are smart to the fact that people try to say well I live in that house and she lives in the other one.

So what happens to couple who are genuinely are separated?

• Advertisement

So what happens to couple who are genuinely are separated?

Or can you be separated and just shack up now and again for a rumble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

bikeman1 wrote: »

This is obvious. And a given. The Op asks is it possible? I have said that it is, despite those basic fundamental facts. Further research will reveal more.

Advertisement