Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat up lines

Options
  • 18-01-2021 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Been chatting to a lad on Tinder the past while but obviously we can’t meet in person at the moment. Any advice on how to keep a conversation going until then? I’m just worried he will have forgotten about me by the time we get to meet. But then if he really fancies me maybe he won’t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

Gael23 wrote: »
    Been chatting to a lad on Tinder the past while but obviously we can’t meet in person at the moment. Any advice on how to keep a conversation going until then? I’m just worried he will have forgotten about me by the time we get to meet. But then if he really fancies me maybe he won’t

A long lasting relationship should come easy in my opinion.
    If you have to try hard to make it work, it probably won't last unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

djr15 wrote: »
    A long lasting relationship should come easy in my opinion.
    If you have to try hard to make it work, it probably won't last unfortunately.

Some effort will go a long way.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

I guess I mean if it comes naturally and just happens by itself it's a good starting point.

A bit like a ****e, if you have to force it, things could get messy.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes I know what you mean. Maybe I’m just trying too hard and it will be fine, I’m not sure. He sent me a message over the weekend after not chatting for a for a few weeks so I could be worrying over nothing.

Some relationships start off slowly and build up. Don't be afraid to initiate a conversation now and then. In my experience, a little effort can start the flow going. However as someone said, if you are having to put a lot of effort into it, maybe the other person isn't as interested as you would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

If you're thinking about him and want to talk to him you don't need some ****ty excuse. I've much more respect for lads who directly ask "Hey! How are ya?" rather than a roundabout way of getting a conversation started. Chat up lines are only for the very get go in my opinion.

To be fair looking at it from his side, you didn't text him for weeks and then he reached out to test the waters. He might have been in the exact same situation of wanting to talk but not knowing how to go about it. In pandemic times I find it fun to do phone or video calls, generally in the evening time and not at night. That way there's a set time you can leave by saying you have something to do, and it prevents the conversation from dragging on too long.

Tig98 wrote: »
    If you're thinking about him and want to talk to him you don't need some ****ty excuse. I've much more respect for lads who directly ask "Hey! How are ya?" rather than a roundabout way of getting a conversation started. Chat up lines are only for the very get go in my opinion.

To be fair looking at it from his side, you didn't text him for weeks and then he reached out to test the waters. He might have been in the exact same situation of wanting to talk but not knowing how to go about it. In pandemic times I find it fun to do phone or video calls, generally in the evening time and not at night. That way there's a set time you can leave by saying you have something to do, and it prevents the conversation from dragging on too long.

Like the idea of video calls. You mean zoom or something? I know some apps have it built in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

If you have each others phone number, you can video chat, on Apple devices its called FaceTime. You can have a normal chat, and see each other and treat it like a virtual date.

Plan it round a meal and you can treat it as if you're in a restaurant.
    Plan it round a movie or TV show and you can live comment on it as it happens as if you were in the cinema or chilling out at home.

If you like each other and want to see what could happen, there are ways of communicating in the current circumstances to make it 'work'.

Ok might see if he’s up for something like that

Advertisement