Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord took hap but with a condition

Options
  • 17-01-2021 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all going anon for this post.

Last year i moved in to this property i was already hap approved but i told landlord i could take or leave it as it didn't work out a massive saving, the landlord said if at the end of the year the council offered you €1500 or whatever saving in cash you would take it! So i did went through the rigamarole and the first hap month i.e council told me from now pay landlord X great i thought as i had the full rent put away thinking id have extra money towards Christmas stuff.

The landlord turned up during the month and basically told me that the hap is paid in arrears and for me to live here on hap i have to pay an extra full months rent as he doesn't want to be paid on arrears going forward and no one lives in his propertys for free.

Ive always paid my rent on time and my council contributions come directy from my S.W.

When it comes time to move out should the landlord not reimburse me the extra months rent or am I wrong to think that way?

Just to recap in case i missed anything

I paid my first month rent + full deposit out of my own pocket, then got hap and he said he wanted full rent again even though council said i pay the reduced price. I understand he didn't want to be paid in arrears as if i stopped the hap payment he wouldn't know until end of month but this left me out of pocket.

What should i do here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SourSessions

A lot if not most people end up paying that first month out of pocket because of the way HAP is set up (including me). In theory, you should get that month back but in practice probably not so easy (considering the council will give the landlord's part straight to the landlord and so he'd have to agree to give you the money back rather than you just withholding).

I'm not sure if anyone has tested this through the proper channels yet but I imagine, inevitably, it will happen.

Advertisement