Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weaning a 12 month old from breastfeeding

• 23-12-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently breastfeeding my 12 month old daughter and have just found out that I'm pregnant. For this reason I want to wean sooner than I would have otherwise but don't really know where to begin! My breastfeeding journey with my son fizzled out naturally at 22 months when I went back to work full time.

Feeling guilty that she won't get to feed for as long as she wants!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Hey, I have a 13 month old and when I decided to start weaning, I was shocked to realise that there's hardly any information or support out there to help with it!
    The first thing I did was to stop feeding on demand (which I always did) and have certain times for the breastfeeds. I did this when he was about 10 months old. So id feed him in the morning, before his first nap, after his first nap, before his second nap, after his second nap and then before bedtime. So that's 6 feeds a day.

Then I stopped the first pre nap feed first. He didn't seem bothered by this at all which was great so about 2 weeks later, I stopped the second pre nap feed.

Then I stopped the feed after the first nap and replaced it with a snack and cows milk,when he was almost 1. So at the moment, he's 13 months and we still have 3 feeds a day. I plan to stop the feed after his afternoon nap soon enough, so that'll leave us with just the morning and bedtime feeds. In time, I'll stop those too.

I think the main way of doing it is to replace the feed with something else, like a snack or cows milk. Also, distract the baby when it's your usual time to have a breastfeed.

I hope all of this helps. I'm no expert but this is what I've been doing and it's going well. Also, congratulations on your pregnancy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

You have nothing to feel guilty about.

My advice is to start with don't offer/don't refuse during the day, offer extra snacks at day time usual feed times. Then for the feeds that are left very gradually drop one at a time. I would night wean first, then soon you will only have bed time and morning left. I would drop feeds very gradually over a few months if you can, more gentle for baby and mother. You might find baby starts to lose interest as your milk supply can drop in pregnancy, which would help your plight.

La leche League or cuidui will give you advice on this too if you wish.

And congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Mine was 14 months when I stopped. At that stage he was drinking cow's milk mainly during the day as I was working. I had a few reasons for wanting to stop so over the course of a few weeks I reduced so that I was feeding first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I was going to then drop the morning feed last, but the morning after my last evening feed he didn't really stay on, just for a minute or so and I decided I was done. I made sure that I didn't end up feeding him while I was sleeping, if he ended up in the bed, as he often did. If he tried to feed I would just give him some water. There was some discomfort over the next few days, but i think you're not meant to express as you'll keep producing more but you can get some relief in shower. After a week it was done. He forgot very soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

Thanks for all the advice! I completely agree SmallGirlBigCity that there seems to be such a lack of advice on the subject. We currently have 5 feeds in 24 hours... one when she wakes around half 6, one before each of her two naps, one before bedtime and usually one in the night between 3 and 4. So I think if I can get her to nap without feeding, I'll start with cutting out those two daytime feeds and then after a couple of weeks, the one during the night and take it from there. I've extended my parental leave so I'm with her all the time and getting her to nap without feeding will be the first challenge!! Thanks again everyone, it does sound more doable since I've read your replies!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Your milk can reduce and change taste also, with the new hormones, which may put her off it a bit naturally too.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I weaned my boy at 13 months when I was expecting number 2. Currently still feeding number 2 while expecting number 3. I found that my supply dropped - the closer you get to the second trimester, the more this will happen - which made weaning easier.

Check out the list of Cuidiú breasrfeeding counsellors on cuidiu.ie. You can call any of them for free advice any time at all. They give good advice on weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

Hi catrionanic, congratulations! How are you finding feeding while pregnant? Do you think you'll keep going indefinitely? Do you mind me asking how far along you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

AlwaysDoe wrote: »
    Hi catrionanic, congratulations! How are you finding feeding while pregnant? Do you think you'll keep going indefinitely? Do you mind me asking how far along you are?

Thanks! I'm only 5 and a half weeks so early days. Finding it a bit uncomfortable- nipples are super sensitive - but I'm going to keep it up for now. Last time, I weaned when I was six weeks because the sickness and exhaustion was just too much for me. But I am tempted to keep going a little longer this time if I can. The sickness hasn't kicked in yet though so plans may change! Last time baba was only 13 months so feeding a lot and wouldn't drink cows milk so he wanted boob a lot. This time, my boy is 26 months so just feeds once or twice a day. I'm enjoying boobing him to sleep at nap time and soaking up the last few weeks or months of him falling asleep in my arms... so I'm not sure what I will do! Playing it by ear.

Advertisement