Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye drops

Options
  • 02-12-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

LG (age 2) has conjunctivitis and is on eye drops since yesterday. Yesterday was fine but today she’s realised that this is now an ongoing thing and it’s a fight to get them in, with OH and I having to pin her down and pull her eye open. I hate doing it but she’s not old enough to understand it’s for her own good.

Any advice on administering eye drops to a 2 year old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Would bribery work yet? Worked for our 2.5yo when she had to take the most horrific medicine I’ve ever seen. She understand that medicine then jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

How sound a sleeper is she. Could you chance it when she was asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Idk if bribery would work, she has recently discovered Smarties and became obsessed for a few days, so it could be worth a try.

I don’t particularly want to go down the route of doing it while she’s asleep. It has to be done 4 times a day, chances of her being in a deep enough sleep are hit and miss, and I don’t want to risk any association of sleep and mammy causing pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,086 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Buy her a little torch . Ask her to point it on the wall and when the drops are in she is allowed switch it on . Kids live torches

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jam_sambo_

My son was/is very prone to conjunctivitis, he must have had it 6 times in his first year of creche. He screamed bloody murder and wriggled so much that it was impossible to get the drops in the eye. When I mentioned it to the doctor, she gave us a different kind of drops, Fucithalmic. They're thicker and gloopier than the other watery ones (Chloromycetin) so you'd just have to get it into the corner of his eye and it'd seep in better. He tolerated it a bit better than the other ones and it seemed to clear it up a bit quicker. But there was some pinning-down, as well. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Pin em down was the only thing we could do, shes a fighter

After the 3rd day she was grand about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What we’re doing now is: inform LG that it is time for eye drop and emphasise the existence of Smarties. OH holds her arms down and I hold her head. LG is told to close her eyes (if she can’t see what’s happening, she can’t react to it) then I pry the eyelids apart and drop the drop in. A high five, two Smarties, a bunch of praise, and we’re done. Ironically, the fact that her eye is closed makes it easier to make that little pouch to drop the liquid into.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I actually find the runnier one easier to get in.
    Also one of them stings a little when it goes in, so they do react to it (from my own experience!)

Advertisement