Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedora Newbie - can’t connect WiFi

Options
  • 28-03-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭

Hi. I’ve installed Fedora 31 on a MacBook and it is working fine - the only problem is that I can’t connect it to WiFi. It is a MacBook 4,1 (from 2008) and it has a Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n wireless card installed (the default for this MacBook)

I have followed the instructions here and the wireless networks show up but when I try to join one it doesn’t work. It eventually times out with the error “connection failed activation of network connection failed”

The Ethernet connection is fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Richard. Sorry, I'm not sure how to remedy this. I'd say give https://www.linuxquestions.org a shot also.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Have a look at the following guide. https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?239922-HOWTO-Use-Broadcom-Wireless-Cards-in-Fedora-14-15-16

I had a similar issue. My machine ran Windows 10 prior to a full wipe and install of Fedora 31. The wireless couldn't see or connect to any networks. My card, for this example, is realtek.

So I found the best fix was to find the exact driver software I needed on github, clone it, build it and then reboot. It fixed the issue. If I had any problems there after, all I had to do was uninstall and reinstall the driver. Problems solved.

So you can check out the guide above, or check if there is a release you can download and build to see if the problem is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Thanks very much for the replies. I got it working in the end - the issue was installing the driver for Broadcom card that came with that MacBook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Richard wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the replies. I got it working in the end - the issue was installing the driver for Broadcom card that came with that MacBook.

Hi Richard, good to hear.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Richard wrote: »

Out of curiosity, how did you resolve the issue? Might be useful information for someone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement