Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pubs have restaurant licenses

Options
  • 28-05-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, does anyone know which pubs in the city centre will be opening earlier using their restaurant licences. Any idea how much food will need to be provided?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The restaurant certificate register is not public - well, it is, if you go pay the Courts Service to see it! Its not online basically.

Any pub that opens early for breakfast (except the handful of early houses) already has one; and there's some other corner-case reasons that mean that loads of pubs have got them already. Most pubs that sell a lot of food have them and the last few are rushing to get them.

Meals must be at least €9. You also have to pay for the drink with the food; this is normally done via a tab and pay at the end. You can only get more drink for 30mins after you finish the meal; this was rarely if ever enforced in the old days but probably will be now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    The restaurant certificate register is not public - well, it is, if you go pay the Courts Service to see it! Its not online basically.
    So this is different from the Special Restaurant Licence and Wine Retailer's On Licence that Revenue lists?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, it's an addendum to either a publicans licence (adds somes serving times for both food and alcohol) or the wine on licence (allows beer with food - without it you can only sell wines for on or off sales). I don't know if its required with a SRL, there may be some advantages

I don't think Revenue have any major involvement with it hence no registers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Any pub that opens early for breakfast (except the handful of early houses) already has one; and there's some other corner-case reasons that mean that loads of pubs have got them already. Most pubs that sell a lot of food have them and the last few are rushing to get them.

Meals must be at least €9. You also have to pay for the drink with the food; this is normally done via a tab and pay at the end. You can only get more drink for 30mins after you finish the meal; this was rarely if ever enforced in the old days but probably will be now.

No way, never heard that one. That's if you get food you should only be served for 30 mins after the meal and then they should ask you to leave? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

No way, never heard that one. That's if you get food you should only be served for 30 mins after the meal and then they should ask you to leave? Bizarre.

I would guess that this would be if the meal finished after official pub closing time

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    I would guess that this would be if the meal finished after official pub closing time

Or in a dedicated restaurant; to prevent it basically operating as a pub without being a pub. Wine On licence has no such restrictions as you don't even need to have food at all, but only for wines.

With the cert a pub can continue to serve drink to diners for an hour after normal closing time - I doubt this continues with a late licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Or in a dedicated restaurant; to prevent it basically operating as a pub without being a pub.
    This. Ironically, it was something the publicans lobbied for; they didn't want to face competition from restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

So if you buy nine euro worth of grub you can drink away for a few hours ?
    Club sandwich and 8 or 9 pints over a few hours so would be one possible way of going out , not much fun if your 2M away from someone although after the sixth or seventh pint you might be able to shout a lot louder so you can be clearly heard and get your point across !

Club sandwich will have to be at about pint 8....

I suspect it'll be four drinks max in many places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the wine on licence (allows beer with food - without it you can only sell wines for on or off sales).
    Wine On licence has no such restrictions as you don't even need to have food at all, but only for wines.
    I don't think this is true. Rascals has a Wine Retailers On Licence (1013985) and you can drink beer without ordering food. The only difference to a pub is no built-in off licence and no standing drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

You can only get more drink for 30mins after you finish the meal; this was rarely if ever enforced in the old days but probably will be now.

I cant imagine when someone goes into a pub and orders food it will be rushed out to them as the pub will want to keep them drinking for as long as possible especially if its a quiet pud and they know the customers really only in for a good few pints

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think this is true. Rascals has a Wine Retailers On Licence (1013985) and you can drink beer without ordering food. The only difference to a pub is no built-in off licence and no standing drinking.

I think there's an element of "sssssshh!" about that. Every single document I've read has said the beer addition is on sales with food - Revenue, licencing solicitors etc

Also no spirits without a SRL.

I could point to other WROL holders that will happily sell you beer without food, but maybe not in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Meals must be at least €9.

where did you hear this? I always hear about it being a "substantial meal", but cannot find a definition. I thought there might be a calorific value stated, but did not expect it to be cash.

When Eddie Rockets were serving beer one of their regular burgers qualified as a "substantial meal", but I chips did not. The burgers are under 9euro and were probably quite a bit less back when they started doing it.

EDIT: found something.
    https://www.croninco.ie/does-your-liquor-licence-fit-your-business-model/
    3. Public House having a Restaurant Certificate

A restaurant certificate is in force in respect of licensed premises and alcohol can be served one hour after normal closing time. This can be consumed after the substantial meal has ended and a substantial meal is a meal for which it would be reasonable to charge a sum no less than €9.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/442/made/en/print
    This order provides that for the purposes of the Licensing Acts and the Registration of Clubs Acts the minimum guideline price for a substantial meal will be increased to €9.00 with effect from 29 September 2003

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1962/act/21/section/9/enacted/en/html#sec9
    9.—(1) For the purposes of the Licensing Acts and the Registration of Clubs Acts a meal served in any premises after the commencement of this Act shall not be deemed to be a substantial meal unless—

(a) the meal is such as might be expected to be served as a main midday or main evening meal or as a main course at either such meal, and

(b) the meal is of a kind for which—

(i) having regard to the prices charged for meals in the premises at times other than prohibited hours, or

(ii) if meals are not normally served in the premises, having regard to all the circumstances,

it would be reasonable to charge a sum that is not less than—

(I) the sum (if any) that for the time being stands fixed under subsection (2) of this section, or

(II) if no sum stands fixed for the time being under the said subsection (2), five shillings.

(2) The Minister for Justice may from time to time, by order, fix such sum, being more than five shillings, as he considers reasonable for the purposes of subsection (1) of this section and may, by order, revoke or amend any order under this subsection

It was £2 and €2.54 before 2003 I think.

Advertisement