Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby back ribs - cooking tips needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ribs are great. The secret is low and slow wrapped in foil. The meat should always fall off the bone. I wouldn't have them any other way. Marinande is up to a personal taste.

Ribs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The best ribs I've done, I simmered them in beer until just tender. I then reduced the beer and used that in making a bbq sauce and finished them in a hot oven with the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zaph wrote: »
    We ordered some from The Whole Hoggs, along with a bunch of other stuff. It's free range pork and they deliver to Dublin, Meath and Louth, but you'd be too late now for this weekend. The highlights were the ribs and the pork shoulder that we made pulled pork with - both were incredibly good. The other stuff we got we weren't so keen on. The pork chops were quite tough and the rashers were so salty they were nearly inedible, but will definitely order more ribs and shoulders from them.

About to pull the trigger here on an order, looking at ribs, lemon and pepper burgers, the breakfast sausages, and also the Jumbo sausages, but wondering if you have tried any of them, and if so what ones you might recommend?

Thinking the Sicilian/Fennel might be nice, but if anyone has any advice or recommendations I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Didn't try any of the jumbo sausages, so I'm not much use to you there I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ribs are great. The secret is low and slow wrapped in foil. The meat should always fall off the bone. I wouldn't have them any other way. Marinande is up to a personal taste.

Ribs.jpg

The tightly wrapped foil tip seems crucial for sure. Because I've done the low and slow method before and was disappointed with the results but the difference was that I didn't tightly wrap the foil. There were gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

These are my ribs today, I know they looked burned but it's just the lovely "bark", they are totally fall off the bone. I make up a marinade and stick them in it the night before.
    Into a tinfoil container tightly double wrapped with foil for 4 hrs at Gas 3.
    Never fails.
    Marinade is a mixum gatherum that I came up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Recliner wrote: »
    These are my ribs today, I know they looked burned but it's just the lovely "bark", they are totally fall off the bone. I make up a marinade and stick them in it the night before.
    Into a tinfoil container tightly double wrapped with foil for 4 hrs at Gas 3.
    Never fails.
    Marinade is a mixum gatherum that I came up with.

I’m all for bark but they do look burnt.. But if it tastes good it tastes good!

I’m all for bark but they do look burnt.. But if it tastes good it tastes good!

No, definitely not burnt :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The tightly wrapped foil tip seems crucial for sure. Because I've done the low and slow method before and was disappointed with the results but the difference was that I didn't tightly wrap the foil. There were gaps.

Roasting bags work really well to hold in the steam. They're what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Were those ribs from whole hog baby back or spare ribs? Most butchers I've tried don't want to sell spare ribs as they keep the meat I believe for bacon.

• Advertisement

philidub wrote: »
    Were those ribs from whole hog baby back or spare ribs? Most butchers I've tried don't want to sell spare ribs as they keep the meat I believe for bacon.

They're just pork ribs I get from the butcher. I know they do bacon ones as well, but even after boiling I find them too salty.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They were baby back ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

were being the operative word :eek::eek:

Ah the hunt continues....there must be at least one place in Ireland who's willing to sell/shop some proper spare ribs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ah the hunt continues....there must be at least one place in Ireland who's willing to sell/shop some proper spare ribs!

Addressed in this post here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113352793&postcount=3094

All butchers have them available but you'll need to ask the butcher to cut them or do them yourself.

The Nal wrote: »
    Addressed in this post here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113352793&postcount=3094

All butchers have them available but you'll need to ask the butcher to cut them or do them yourself.

I've tried that in about six places and got plenty of funny looks... They're not interested unless I want to buy the whole half of belly (from skin to rib bone). Got them once so far trimmed etc but tried that place again recently and they wouldn't again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've tried that in about six places and got plenty of funny looks... They're not interested unless I want to buy the whole half of belly (from skin to rib bone). Got them once so far trimmed etc but tried that place again recently and they wouldn't again

Yeah its not an Irish thing which is a shame. When the weather picks up Im going to buy the whole thing and do a butcher job at home and then smoke the lot.

Doesn't look too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ He leaves the skin on. Would that turn into crackling after a low and slow cook? (if you up the temperature for the last 30 minutes or so when you put the bbq sauce on)

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah its not an Irish thing which is a shame. When the weather picks up Im going to buy the whole thing and do a butcher job at home and then smoke the lot.

Doesn't look too difficult.

I think you're paying extra then for the skin/excess meat. I guess you can cook it all and I tried that before and some parts came out nice but the leaner parts weren't great. I'm hoping I'll eventually find a butcher who'll start selling them.

Walked into my local butcher on Saturday, a butcher I would be in with once or twice a month for the last ten years.

What did they have, only packs and packs and packs of baby back ribs, and have sold them for feckin years they say, and me scouring the internet for weeks after them lol!

I guess I just never noticed them before plus when I go in, I'm normally going in for one or two specific items, grab them without browsing and exit the shop again.

I will be enjoying ribs for tonight's dinner though, will post photos etc later.

• Advertisement

Did these this evening in my instant pot (sorry no pics) and they came out everybit as good as they have from doing them for hours in the oven or on the charcoal grill.

Remove membrane, then light rug with kitchen roll soaked in oil then sprinkled both sides with a BBQ rub I have here (so it would stick to the oil)

Into the instant pot with half a cup of water and half a cup of apple cider vinegar, high pressure for 25mins, and then natural release for 10mins.

After that the meat just falls off the bone, you could also do same as me at this stage and brush on some BBQ sauce and stick them in the oven if you wanted - alternatively just eat them straight from the instant pot.

I'll not be cooking mine any other way from here on.

Advertisement