Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming down the long hill near Kilmacanogue yesterday, I seen a group of 4 cyclists coming up the hill. All social distancing, seemed grand. If nothing else, some motorists may actually realise why we go side by side. Although I am skeptical.

At least its an excuse for getting dropped in the near future

"Felt good just wanted to socially distance myself off the back"....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

At least its an excuse for getting dropped in the near future

"Felt good just wanted to socially distance myself off the back"....
    Just to keep my eye in, I've also been continuing to practice this on zwift too.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Looks like Etape du Tour is going ahead... just got a positive email :-)

Latest CI Roadmap "envisages" full competition and leisure from 10th August.

Pretty big caveat, which appears to be against the rest of the advice/ club group spins at the start of the document though on my first reading. So you can go in groups, just the same group...
    Multiple small groups which seek to replicate team or group environments is contrary to the general advice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I thought there was nothing of note within the document. They seem to be holding off until phase 3 at least for any decisions of note.

At the moment it's incredibly difficult to give a defined start time for completion so the next period will be crucial if any racing / sportives are too go ahead this year. I had been confident all along but becoming increasingly pessimistic about both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Looks like Etape du Tour is going ahead... just got a positive email :-)

Are you sure as all reports are that its cancelled and they're looking at a voucher scheme for next year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Remember, races and sportives require medical support too. I know it's paid for, but it's another angle that can put a delay in things.

I would think it's understandable, if some of the providers of this would be reluctant to do events for a while as they have been beyond stretched

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Are you sure as all reports are that its cancelled and they're looking at a voucher scheme for next year?

Something might be lost in translation, but they say;

To clarify the information that you received last week, the organisers of L'Étape du Tour de France 2020 specify that the definitive date of the event will be communicated by the 30th June at the latest. We can’t wait to see you all in Nice as we discover the magnificent southern French landscapes, as a part of the second stage of the Tour de France.

We hope to see you soon!

L'Étape du Tour de France Team.

What do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Something might be lost in translation, but they say;

To clarify the information that you received last week, the organisers of L'Étape du Tour de France 2020 specify that the definitive date of the event will be communicated by the 30th June at the latest. We can’t wait to see you all in Nice as we discover the magnificent southern French landscapes, as a part of the second stage of the Tour de France.

We hope to see you soon!

L'Étape du Tour de France Team.

What do you think ?

Ya the messages are a bit mixed but I seen this from earlier today:

https://endurancebusiness.com/2020/industry-news/etape-du-tour-cancelled-and-rider-vouchers-issued/

Its not very clear but my take is they'll offer vouchers but also says they're waiting till the 30th for an official statement on whether it goes ahead.

To be honest I don't have enough training done so will skip either way but I hope some people might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I'm the same, there's no way I'm strong enough to do it, so no chance I'll participate in any rescheduled event.

If they're not intending to refund the value of the "voucher" for 18 months, it'd be 2022 before I see any money returned. I'm not real happy about that.

• Advertisement

If they're not intending to refund the value of the "voucher" for 18 months, it'd be 2022 before I see any money returned. I'm not real happy about that.
    The French Government put in legislation for their tourism sector, so if you had a campsite booked, no refunds for 18 months - perhaps it's covered the same? Basically stops the campsites going under this year through all the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

resevoir dog sportive 2020 cancelled.

Rumours hitting Twitter on phase 3 & 4 agreement for alot of areas having restrictions lifting alot earlier than planned.

There may be some positive news for racing etc if a format can be agreed for a late season programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Quite a few sportives listed in the updated CI calendar including the Reservoir Dog on 20th September. A bit surprising this as it was cancelled for 2020 on 12th June. Hopefully the rest of the information is more accurate.
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/leisure-sportive-events

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Quite a few sportives listed in the updated CI calendar including the Reservoir Dog on 20th September. A bit surprising this as it was cancelled for 2020 on 12th June. Hopefully the rest of the information is more accurate.
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/leisure-sportive-events

Already heard today of both sportives and races included on the rejigged calendar that were pulled today. I fully expect this to be a trend over the next 14 days. Once clubs fully look at and realise what's expected for an event now they won't be willing to risk losing a good chunk of money.

They probably just didn't let CI know is all. Clubs were reminded to do so yesterday.

Grass Routes Gran Fondo rescheduled for the same weekend as the Dirty Reiver - not making the call on travelling to that until as late as possible, but the UK would want to be in a hell of a better place than now for me to even consider it! - so happy to have the fall back.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They probably just didn't let CI know is all. Clubs were reminded to do so yesterday.

I presume they haven't just relisted all the events that were on the calendar pre-Covid where clubs didn't get back to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's not the only one that definitely won't be running, I can see two where I know the organisers and they aren't happening. To be fair to CI, it is being pulled together quite quickly, and you probably had a few organisers say yes before they realised the changes that have to be made. Mondello look like they have a good bit figured out but questions will be raised about are they limiting capacity (that would be a deciding factor for me), will CI allow an extra charge on entry for clubs who do this (requires an EGM AFAIK)? Will there be an actual punishment for riders who take the piss with social distancing before the race (i.e. will the Comms flat out ban them for the season, pre-entry for all events will simplify this). Will they have specifically trained paramedics for on site. I could be wrong but I don't recall ambulances at Mondello when I was there, they really should have one but I could be wrong on that. This said the numbers at Mondello were never massive but that could change very easily. Alot of riders will be looking at the weather a few days before, as my memory of Mondello was riders sitting outside waiting to decide if they would sign on or not based on if it was going to rain etc.
    I'm not surprised honestly. I can only speak for races as I haven't really done any sportives but trying to comply with the regulations for events over an hour in duration is going to difficult.
    I can only think of four safe venues in Leinster, and all of these rely on separate races, pre sign on, pre marked distancing in the car parks etc. And lets not kid each other. It is different in a club league where I can ream someone out of it for breaking the guidelines, at a regular open race, if some rider takes the view that the rules are overbearing and not really applicable, it is going to be trouble.
    Even from a venue standpoint, generally sports halls, there are maybe 1-2 toilets and a handful of urinals. Adequate facilities and just unfeasible as you'll likely have an enforced limited number on riders taking part.
    Realistically, unless numbers are heavily restricted and either no facilities are provided or the organisers actually go in early, stock up on paper, provide 70% ethanol spray down bottles, it is going to be a pain in the arse. Do the organisers send out a pre video of the facilities explaining the one way system, how to wipe handles and much more beside. In this regard, club leagues are more of a runner than open races.
    Clubs often lose money putting races on and that was before any pandemic. I can see it being a legal nightmare should someone fall ill at one of these events and decide to take it up and that's taking into consideration CI disclaimer that basically everyone is responsible for themselves.
    The major issue is Sports Ireland guidelines which we would be expected to adhere too. If you provide facilities the standard is going to have to be far higher than before, if you don't and some locals see riders pissing all over the place, you get the same problem.
    From speaking with a number of colleagues within our legal department, for our own club league, organisers need to cover themselves and not just fall under the CI umbrella and say "well CI said it was fine". They need to take a serious look at exactly what the likes of the WHO and other bodies state has to be in place for mass gatherings. That way they've some legal recourse should someone decide to take it to court.
    A huge issue, I done the Sports Ireland Covid course last night, it was fine but i know all of that before this, it taught me nothing new but some organisers won't know this. If they haven't taken the course, is their club open to attack on the basis their Covid 19 officer or lack there of did not review it, if they did review it and it was below standard, there is a failing somewhere.
    I'm not saying any of this would happen, but from those that have raced, and this is in no way meant as a slight against the organisers, do you really think the organisers would have a leg to stand on should the facilities stay the same? As in 1-2 cubicles for riders in 4 categories easily surpassing 100 people.
    I can't see a way of having more than 20 to 30 riders per race. No food or drink provided, toilet facilities have to be pre-cleaned, and repeatedly cleaned over the course of the event or simply not opened, attempt to enforce social distancing. People will say the last is personal responsibility but there is a duty of care if someone is clearly failing at even attempting it for the organisers to tell them to F Off. I don't know if everyone knows what some riders are like but considering I have heard and seen fisticuffs break out over far less, should the organiser be required to take that risk and point it out. The list of questions goes on and on.
    It's overly pessimistic but the way things have gone lately with people suing for tripping in a forest, I can't see this being much different to be honest. Hopefully I'm wrong I'm just concerned for the organisers.
    I would be hopeful that it wouldn't happen, but as you say, it could. Will CI insurance cover an organiser who missed a step, by accident.

I think we are still limited to the amount we can charge. If you ahve an event hall, you would have to do a max capacity assessment which isn't as easy as it sounds, and is alot less people than you'd think.

If I was running a race, it would be close to the Mondello suggestions. Pre entry only. I would limit numbers, no more than 20 to 30 per race. Riders only to get out of their vehicles to prep their bike but they should wait at or in their car until 5 minutes before race start. Socially distant on the line with grid layout. When the race ends they go straight back to their vehicle and go home. Who are essential personnel for a race. Lead car, Comms, EMTs and marshals, should anyone else be allowed? What about people who want to photograph, what about spectators, what is acceptable. So far it would appear that none of these groups should attend unless parents of children involved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's as safe as its going to get for the next few years......

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's as safe as its going to get for the next few years......
    Ah yeah, I accept it's a head thing for me. But even to let the procedures bed in for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I accept it's a head thing for me. But even to let the procedures bed in for a few weeks.

We do this for fun.

Don't feel in anyway pressurised to do an event.
    If you are uncomfortable just avoid them for the moment.
    No one is going to criticise you for that and if they do they are not proper cyclists..
    Stay safe and listen to your own inner voice on these things.

RobFowl wrote: »
    We do this for fun.

Don't feel in anyway pressurised to do an event.
    If you are uncomfortable just avoid them for the moment.
    No one is going to criticise you for that and if they do they are not proper cyclists..
    Stay safe and listen to your own inner voice on these things.

This is the best advice really. In no way should anyone undertake something they don't feel comfortable with or happy with the procedures in place.

Not sure if this is the best forum for asking a few questions about club leisure spins and Covid 19 measures but I don't see any other relevant threads.

How are people finding the CI pre-registration process and is it generally used?

Any particular measures introduced by clubs to reduce risks on the spin?

Are these and the CI recommendations generally followed?

From my own limited experience on club spins since the restrictions were eased, punctures and coffee stops are probably more risky than normal side-by-side or single-file cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not sure if this is the best forum for asking a few questions about club leisure spins and Covid 19 measures but I don't see any other relevant threads.

How are people finding the CI pre-registration process and is it generally used?

From my own limited experience on club spins since the restrictions were eased, punctures and coffee stops are probably more risky than normal side-by-side or single-file cycling.

The current pre reg process has a great big hole in it in that if a member registers him/herself for a club spin, the club gets no notification of that fact, so there's no way of knowing on a sunday morning who is or isn't correctly registered. To get round that we asked our members to let us know on Saturday who was coming out on Sunday, then the various group leaders registered everone as a job lot.

The self assessment process also caused confusion, half our members seemed to latch onto the sportireland quiz rather than the CI self assessment form, confusion and hilarity ensued. Eventually we just decided to read the list of questions out on the morning and ask anyone who answered yes to go home, unsurprisingly no one did.

The spins seemed to go fine, no punctures or mechanicals thank God, and the coffee stop was outside a garage in the sunshine and wind, hopefully safe enough.

Simple enough, if you have auto fill on your phone its only a few minutes tops. It is good that they have thought through the contact tracing requirement and only one person per group needs to do it.
    reducing group sizes, staggering start times, pre fill form to confirm you have read all the CI, Sport Ireland and other relevant stuff
    Hit and miss i imagine. My concern would be that unless solo cycling, if you are doing it as a club spin (official or not, i.e. you expect to be insured) then you should be registering. While I haven't seen anything on the site, they have made it clear it is there, it is a requirement. Not doing so might lead to the argument in a legal dispute with the insurers that you had not followed all guidance and were therefore not insured.
    From what I have seen of two different clubs, they are keeping distant at the start and telling people to keep distant at the end, as well as no moving between groups on the road (for contact tracing purposes). There are other clubs who are doing nothing. So it is a mixed bag.

My opinion is that if a rider is willing to break the rules at the start or finish, they probably do it elsewhere and therefore are more likely to be positive anyway, so if I see that at my own clubs spins next week I will be out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I was under the impressions that social distancing was no longer a requirment during club spins, that is why we have to pre register as its assumed if a member of a club spin gets covid that everybody else on the spin will be considered a close contact and will have to self isolate for 2 weeks.

That is what cycling Ireland means when they said this in their last mail
    We have received a number of questions regarding social distancing while cycling. Government guidance is that close contact is permitted, but should be limited to training and competition only. A return to training or competition is on an ‘opt-in’ basis only so please consider your own personal circumstances when deciding to participate in group activities.

So groups should not mix with other groups, precautions should be taken before and after spins to prevent spread of an infection but while actually in the group no social distancing applies. Essentially Cycling is considered a close contact sport and groups should be kept small to reduce the impact of somebody in that group having the infection.

Given that, I don't see how stops during the spin are any worse then the spin itself.

am I wrong?

Takca wrote: »
    I was under the impressions that social distancing was no longer a requirment during club spins, that is why we have to pre register as its assumed if a member of a club spin gets covid that everybody else on the spin will be considered a close contact and will have to self isolate for 2 weeks.

That is what cycling Ireland means when they said this in their last mail

So groups should not mix with other groups, precautions should be taken before and after spins to prevent spread of an infection but while actually in the group no social distancing applies. Essentially Cycling is considered a close contact sport and groups should be kept small to reduce the impact of somebody in that group having the infection.

Given that, I don't see how stops during the spin are any worse then the spin itself.

am I wrong?

It's a risk mitigation measure and comes down from Sports Ireland and I presume Government. It is considered too difficult or not reasonably practicable to socially distance when moving in a group for a number of reasons, but safety would be the key one for me. Also compliance, it simply won't happen with many groups. Your moving, its fresh air, viral load will hopefully be reduced if someone is positive but asymptomatic and so on. When you stop, it is reasonably practicable to socially distance, and should be observed. It is a risk mitigation factor, it certainly doesn't remove it but it does reduce it. It is also in the documentation that CI sent out AFAIK but I have done so many Covid 19 courses now that it is hard to tell which one is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

This has turned more into a covid discussion thread.

I for one would love to see a thread along the lines of the bargain thread which lists races and sportives that are verified to be going ahead. Something you can browse quickly to see what's on.

I realise that's the job of the CI event calendars but they seem to be falling short on accuracy and trust at the moment. The idea of the events thread would be that organisers or those in the know can post once they are fairly sure they are going ahead

Apologies for that. I suppose if others have comments on how things are working out on club rides in the new reality, they can start a new thread (as I should have)!

If this is going to be the thread for checking on the status of sportives and races, maybe a Mod could add "or races" into the title?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think that is intertwined with the running of Sportifs. It is the reason they were suspended and changes and developments affect their resumption.

Advertisement