Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which broadband provider

Options
  • 20-01-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

I am sure has been asked before, but I am using a dongle on a student rate for years , and the 15 gb limit ( as well as connectivity etc) is a disaster

I was looking at 3's € 30 a month off ( but is 18 month contract , and I have heard of lots of issues with it ( though a friend practically on same street as me says she has no issues

but also been offer eir at 35 pm for 12 months and 50 cashback ( I think its really just 5 off per month on their own offers)

which works out at 31.00 e

any suggestions / opinion

much appreciated

Eugene

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I am sure has been asked before, but I am using a dongle on a student rate for years , and the 15 gb limit ( as well as connectivity etc) is a disaster

I was looking at 3's € 30 a month off ( but is 18 month contract , and I have heard of lots of issues with it ( though a friend practically on same street as me says she has no issues

but also been offer eir at 35 pm for 12 months and 50 cashback ( I think its really just 5 off per month on their own offers)

which works out at 31.00 e

any suggestions / opinion

much appreciated

Eugene

Get a 3 ready to go unlimited sim, and put it in a router. Only 20 a month, and is actually unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

aidankkk wrote: »
    Get a 3 ready to go unlimited sim, and put it in a router. Only 20 a month, and is actually unlimited.

considered that but both my mobile Huawei thingy and my phone are three and definite issues

e.g. up to on occasion images not even opening on news pages cos internet is so cr*p

only benefit is lack of contract I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Had Eir Broadband and it was a disaster, got rid of it and went with Virgin Media and never had any issue with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Had Eir Broadband and it was a disaster, got rid of it and went with Virgin Media and never had any issue with them.

Easily the worst customer care I've ever dealt with or not dealt with. Switched to vodafone and it's grand. How as ever my wife recently switched her mobile to vodafone, and she can't get service or speak to anyone, I think they may be just as bad as eir. I'm with three mobile and although I've not had to call them for some time, I have spoken to humans. I think in the future, I won't sign up for any company that requires me to press a multiple buttons to get through to customer service.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

aidankkk wrote: »

And your speed is throttled after 5pm making it unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

And your speed is throttled after 5pm making it unusable.

Hasn't been my experience at all, I haven't experienced any throttling

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you are in Kilkenny City and want speed then may I suggest https://siro.ie/roll-out/kilkenny/

hi all back again

I got a Huawei b535 router from work ( Covid19) but I lose internet .. a lot!!

its extraordinarily frustrating as I now have to work from home, and the connection goes when ever I am close to a deadline for a bank file or similar - its taking me 3 times the normal to get some work done

when I look at wifi's nearby most seem to be VM*** so I assume Virgin Media

any one any experience with them ( getting it in on these days is a whole other story

I did look at cabaal's handy link and will do so again but I can't keep working all day just to do what is already a difficult work day

thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I've had Virgin Media for a few years, never had any prolonged issue and speeds etc always good.

I can only dream of getting Virgin media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Hi

I have been using SIRO through Vodafone for the last 2 years since launch and have never had an issue. I am paying for 1,000mbps and generally getting 900-940mbps.

I see on their site they are offer it at the mo for 20 for first 6 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Hi

I have been using SIRO through Vodafone for the last 2 years since launch and have never had an issue. I am paying for 1,000mbps and generally getting 900-940mbps.

I see on their site they are offer it at the mo for 20 for first 6 months .

Similar.

On wired. Not loving their wifi though, may need to change the box.

I can only dream of getting Virgin media

The dream became reality. Our lines were made live shortly after this post. No more crappy Three 4G internet thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

We had Siro from VF since it arrived but it is expensive compared to the competition, so we have moved to Eir in the last couple of weeks. Have noticed no difference in speed at all and it's half the price.

We had Siro from VF since it arrived but it is expensive compared to the competition, so we have moved to Eir in the last couple of weeks. Have noticed no difference in speed at all and it's half the price.

I went with vodafone in the end as quicker to install

a big improvement on three 4g definitely

engineer at time said I was getting 900 mbps

but when I test on WIFI usually get much much less

e.g. right now ping 7 ms download 132.00 upload 128

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

I don't know how much store I'd put in this, but the Eir engineer said that the modem I had from Vodafone wasn't too hot and that I would probably have been getting much better speeds with a more up to date one. Doesn't matter to me now, but that could be why your Wi-Fi speed isn't what he said it would be. That being said, if it's fast enough for you, happy days.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm with Vodafone too. Ping 222. 8 mbps down and 0.53 mbps up. Our connection is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Using WiFi to check your speed is not accurate. It needs to be done using the modem it at least a device connected to the modem via a cable.

WiFi on these routers aren't great anyway to be honest but as a modem they are fine

toe_knee wrote: »
    Using WiFi to check your speed is not accurate. It needs to be done using the modem it at least a device connected to the modem via a cable.

WiFi on these routers aren't great anyway to be honest but as a modem they are fine

True

But in reality I am going to be using the modem day to day rather than a cable connection so that's what I get practically

Might be worth connecting direct for heavy downloaded

Or when I try to finally get all my photos on cloud

I lost photos of me on Great Wall and pisses me off big time so got a mass of photos on different drives ..phones etc might be worth getting on cloud storage ( bit off topic I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

True

But in reality I am going to be using the modem day to day rather than a cable connection so that's what I get practically

Might be worth connecting direct for heavy downloaded

Or when I try to finally get all my photos on cloud

I lost photos of me on Great Wall and pisses me off big time so got a mass of photos on different drives ..phones etc might be worth getting on cloud storage ( bit off topic I know)

I am using cloud storage for photos. I use Google photos as a free option and easy to share from there with family and I also have Amazon Prime which has unlimited full resolution photo storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I use Google Drive for photo back up. I think the first 15 GBs are free and then if you want to go over 15 GB up to 100 GB then it's €2 a month. I also have a back up on an old SD card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't be too careful with backups, I got about 1.5TB of photos backed up to a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and also backed up to Dropbox.com.
    I also have Amazon Prime so I use the unlimited photo storage as well which is handy.

Advertisement