Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nature in the News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

A bit of a climbdown, but worryingly the Ministers saying they still need to be 'controlled'.
    Buzzard capture plans abandoned after 'public concerns'

Plans which could have allowed some gamekeepers in England to capture buzzards and destroy their nests in order to stop them eating pheasants have been abandoned.

Ministers said they would look at other ways of controlling buzzards "in light of public concerns expressed".

Animal rights groups opposed the pilot study and the RSPB said the rethink was a "strong decision"..

Full story at BBC.

Bizarre and gruesome story from Kerry.

WARNING: Link contains disturbing photos.
    Gardaí investigate after seals’ heads nailed to sanctuary gates in Dingle

GARDAÍ ARE INVESTIGATING after a gruesome find at the gates of the Dingle Wildlife and Seal Sanctuary in Co. Kerry this morning.

At around 8.30am the heads of two seals were found nailed to plywood and then screwed onto the sign at the gate of the centre. Written on the signs were the messages “RIP CULL” and “RIP I AM HUNGRY”, written in red paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's utterly vile and disgusting, I really wish I hadn't looked at those pictures now. Imagine if a family with young children had turned up at the sanctuary on a day out and saw that sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

whyulittle wrote: »
    Bizarre and gruesome story from Kerry.
    that's horribly shocking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

No words can really describe the person / people resposible for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

A pack of wolves attacked and killed a worker in their enclosure at one of Sweden's most popular wildlife parks yesterday, according to police.
    "She was so badly hurt in the attack that she died of her injuries," said a police spokesman for the Ostergotland district, where the Kolmarden park is located. "We do not know why they attacked."
    Police remained on the scene to investigate the incident at the biggest wildlife park in the Nordic region, located around 150km south of Stockholm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0618/breaking20.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

One person alone in the enclosure with a pack of wolves. They will probably review their health and safety procedures after this.

recedite wrote: »
    One person alone in the enclosure with a pack of wolves. They will probably review their health and safety procedures after this.

She was part of the team which raised them since their where pups
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/18/swedish-wolves-kill-zookeeper-who-raised-them/
    Must of been a case, like many workplace accidents, of over farmilarity and talking shortcuts.

You can never never never trust a wolf no matter how its been raised or
    tame it might appear especilly a pack of them having said that i think this is still pretty rare.
    I saw a "tame" wolf before at close hand in a wildlife place in Europe
    it was on a lead at one stage very different behaviour than a dog, no eye contact with humans, sudden lunges, crazy running in circles.

I'd say it was a dominance thing. When they were pups, she was dominant. Now, one of the wolves is a hero in the eyes of the others for leading a "successful" :mad: attack on her.

There is a guy in Devon who I think lives with his pack except at night
    www.thewolfcentre.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its clear where the fault lies here allright!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

There is a guy in Devon who I think lives with his pack except at night
    www.thewolfcentre.co.uk/

martin clunes did a programme about dogs a while back and he visited that guy.

he sets himself up as the mediator in the pack and "joins" in when they are feeding to stop any fighting.

crazy stuff.

p.s.
    this is the next part where the guy does the crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Lead Poisoning Blocks Recovery of California Condor Population

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120625160400.htm

Chimpanzees at a sanctuary in South Africa have left a man seriously injured with bite wounds after pulling him into their enclosure.

The man, described as a ranger, was leading a tour group at the Jane Goodall Institute Chimpanzee Eden yesterday.

Two chimpanzees grabbed his feet and pulled him under a fence into their enclosure, said Jeffrey Wicks of the Netcare911 medical emergency services company.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/man-mauled-by-sanctuary-chimpanzees-in-south-africa-557325.html

These were all "rehomed" chimps so may have been ex-pets. When chimps attack they seem to go for the face first, and then slowly chew the persons fingers off, one at a time. It happened to that American woman as well. Mad stuff.

These were all "rehomed" chimps so may have been ex-pets. When chimps attack they seem to go for the face first, and then slowly chew the persons fingers off, one at a time. It happened to that American woman as well. Mad stuff.

Yep - they have that deadly combo of intelligience and raw power(male chimp is 5 times more powerfull then averge male human). It would be safer having a Hyena about the house;)

The chimps have been spared been put down.
    on the grounds they where defending their terriotry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18704332

Moss plants that survive the freezing conditions of Antarctica have an unusual food source, scientists say.
    The vibrant green plants take nutrients from the poo left behind by penguins that lived in the same area thousands of years ago.
    Scientists made their discovery whilst testing the plants to find out how they manage to survive in the icy landscape.
    The findings were presented at the Society for Experimental Biology's annual meeting in Salzburg, Austria.

Did anyone watch the series about this chimp santuary Escape to Chimp Eden?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good article about attitudes towards Garden Birds on The Guardian website today: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/10/pigeons-garden-birds-entertainment
    The news that Richard Dawkins' Oxford neighbour has tried to scare away pigeons for defecating on his fleet of classic cars will come as no surprise to those of us who follow the fortunes of Britain's garden birds.

Earlier this year two Wiltshire pensioners were given asbos for continuing to feed pigeons, whose presence causes more neighbourhood disputes than any other bird.

Nor should we be surprised that, as a biologist, Dawkins defends the pigeons' right to poo. After all, as he points out, our garden birds are part of our national heritage, and well worth preserving rather than chasing away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mediterranean-worms-thriving-in-dublin-560679.html

A thriving colony of Mediterranean French earthworms has been found on a farm in Dublin.

Global warming could explain how the worms swapped their home in sunny south-west France for Ireland, scientists believe.

Rising soil temperatures may be extending the habitat range of the Gallic worm, Prosellodrilus amplisetosus.

"Soil decomposer species including earthworms are frequently introduced into non-native soils by human activities like the transportation of nursery plants or live fish bait," said Dr Olaf Schmidt, from University College Dublin.

A lion wandering around Essex;
    Firearms officers and police helicopters have joined the hunt for a lion that is thought to be roaming loose in Essex...............

Che Kevlin said he heard what he believed to be a roar whilst out walking his dog last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://www.emirates247.com/news/region/over-200-elephant-tusks-seized-in-tanzania-2012-10-31-1.481174

At 30 animals a day, the future is not looking good for jumbos in this part of Africa. Sadly the situation in lawless areas like Chad and the DRC is likely to be even worse:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

marlin vs wrote: »

Pretty sure the "two girls attacked in their cot" story was debunked in the weeks after it broke! It went from "two girls attacked by a fox in their cot" to "well the window was open and we saw a fox near it a few times"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

New bat species found in Ireland
    On 24th February 2013, a single male Greater Horseshoe bat Rhinolophus ferrumequinum was found roosting in Co. Wexford, Ireland. This is the first record of this species occurring naturally in Ireland. Paul Scott, a professional bat worker and member of Bat Conservation Ireland recorded the bat hanging from the ceiling in a disused cellar. Its identity has been confirmed by the Centre for Irish Bat Research, University College Dublin by analysing a sample of DNA from the bat.

Full story at biodiversityireland.ie.

I wonder if they are really new, or is it just that nobody who was sufficiently qualified to ID the bats had seen them before? Nice to know they are around anyway.

I wonder if they are really new, or is it just that nobody who was sufficiently qualified to ID the bats had seen them before? Nice to know they are around anyway.

Many people in Ireland are able to fully ID bats including me. The Greater horseshoe is extremely rare and although never found in Ireland before now may have been here a while. Only two species of bat hang like everyone thinks bats do and its the Greater and Lesser horseshoe bats. The Lesser is tiny and when the Greater was seen the finder would have known immediately he had found something new.

In '97 a new species of pipistrelle, Nathusius' pipistrelle, was found living in Antrim.

Sure, but the issue is whether the experts happen to be in the location of the animal. For example, a century ago, it was thought by experts at the museum in Dublin (and even much more recently by many people) that the appearance of a sea turtle in Irish waters was a freak event, whereas Blasket Islanders who were in the right place to see them considered them a regular part of the fauna.

New bat species found in Ireland

Full story at biodiversityireland.ie.

A very significant addition to our known mammalian fauna. A very distinctive and charasmatic bat and good to know they are here given their threatened status in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Chairman of Limerick County Council calls for an open season on Hen Harriers.

http://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/council-leader-calls-for-open-season-on-hen-harriers/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Jesus Christ! I'm calling for an open season on Chairmen of Limerick County Council!

Thats nothing short of disgraceful and blatantly just going for a few easy farmer votes. Also a severe misunderstanding of evolution. Other counties are delighted to have WTSEagles and Red Kites breeding and bringing in tourism and using them on every leaflet and website they can, and this idiot thinks getting rid of similarly rare raptors is going to help his area. Words cannot describe how angry it makes me that people like this are allowed speak in public, nevermind hold a position of some power or influence.

Chairman of Limerick County Council calls for an open season on Hen Harriers.
    A lot of people with guns will think its OK now to shoot hen harriers. It will be like the turf cutters who decided it would be OK to cut SAC bogs after they got the words of encouragement from TD Ming Flanagan.

A lot of people with guns will think its OK now to shoot hen harriers.
    Wrong believe it or not, you must have a bad impression on hunters shooters and wildfowlers,all those people that I know actually enjoy watching bird's of prey.

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    Wrong believe it or not, you must have a bad impression on hunters shooters and wildfowlers,all those people that I know actually enjoy watching bird's of prey.

I don't think its that he has a bad impression of hunters/shooters/wildfowlers (all the ones I know very much like raptors too), but there's always a few bad apples in every community unfortunately - so it seems probable that a few of the bad-minded farmers and foresters will either think they're allowed to shoot hen harriers, or think they're justified in doing it.

Apparently a Hen Harrier was shot in Limerick before and sent into the same newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

I don't think its that he has a bad impression of hunters/shooters/wildfowlers (all the ones I know very much like raptors too), but there's always a few bad apples in every community unfortunately - so it seems probable that a few of the bad-minded farmers and foresters will either think they're allowed to shoot hen harriers, or think they're justified in doing it.

Apparently a Hen Harrier was shot in Limerick before and sent into the same newspaper.
    Former IFA president John Dillon made a speech encouraging people to
    When this fellow appeared in the sky (Hen Harrier), the first thing we got was the gun to sort him out."
    A young male Hen Harrier was shot dead and sent to the "Kerryman Newspaper" shortly afterwards.

To register a complaint about the Limerick County Councillor in question see below:

http://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/open-season-on-hen-harriers-how-to-complain-about-the-councillor/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I really hate hearing of people shooting Birds of Prey and in my experience its never true sportsmen with a genuine love for shooting and all things `countryside`. Its usually gamekeepers,farmers,pigeon fanciers and just complete gob****es who believe its something macho to kill these beautiful birds. I was nearly in a row with some guy down the country there the other day. I over-heard him telling his mates he nearly got the `bàstard` Buzzard hanging around his pens (Pheasent I presume) the other night and also shot two Sparrowhawks that same day. They all went on giving out about Buzzards,Hawks and Hooded Crows until I piped up and reminded that them that they are protected species.A verbal row ensued until the wife dragged me away! I`m sure theres plenty of Buzzards and countless Sparrowhawks shot by ignorant scumbags like these every year its such a shame.

cd07 wrote: »
    I really hate hearing of people shooting Birds of Prey and in my experience its never true sportsmen with a genuine love for shooting and all things `countryside`. Its usually gamekeepers,farmers,pigeon fanciers and just complete gob****es who believe its something macho to kill these beautiful birds. I was nearly in a row with some guy down the country there the other day. I over-heard him telling his mates he nearly got the `bàstard` Buzzard hanging around his pens (Pheasent I presume) the other night and also shot two Sparrowhawks that same day. They all went on giving out about Buzzards,Hawks and Hooded Crows until I piped up and reminded that them that they are protected species.A verbal row ensued until the wife dragged me away! I`m sure theres plenty of Buzzards and countless Sparrowhawks shot by ignorant scumbags like these every year its such a shame.

People like that should not have a gun licence and are as much a threat to the image of the sport of hunting as they are to protected species. If you know where this individual is based you should inform the local NPWS and Gardaí of your concerns. This at the very least will bring some grief down on him in terms of renewing his gun licence etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

cd07 wrote: »

I would've went for the cnuts.
    Really p1sses me off hearing of lads shooting birds of prey. It's disgusting and puts a huge shame on us lads who hunt.
    I love seeing buzzards about. Gives a real American wilderness feeling when you hear them 2-400 foot above the ground. As for spars they are my favourite bop of all. Pure speed and agility.
    It does kind of worry me when I do go out hunting with my Harris hawk that I'd get some pr1ck on other side of a hedge take a shot at we protecting 'his' pheasants. I'd take the gun off him as stick it up his arse.
    Most lads I know that hunt do love seeing birds of prey about.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    People like that should not have a gun licence and are as much a threat to the image of the sport of hunting as they are to protected species. If you know where this individual is based you should inform the local NPWS and Gardaí of your concerns. This at the very least will bring some grief down on him in terms of renewing his gun licence etc.

NPWS are compiling records of persecution of raptors and other protected species (some idiots shoot Herons and other birds, as was said above - trying to look macho!), so they might be able to contribute a reliable but anonymous report about sparrowhawks/buzzards being shot to their records to help identify persecution blackspots in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I wouldn't say its about being 'macho'
    More trigger happy idiots that will shoot anything that moves.

NPWS are compiling records of persecution of raptors and other protected species (some idiots shoot Herons and other birds, as was said above - trying to look macho!), so they might be able to contribute a reliable but anonymous report about sparrowhawks/buzzards being shot to their records to help identify persecution blackspots in the country.

Yes - I believe gun licences in areas with persistent wildlife crimes of this nature are going to come under increased scrutiny by the local cops.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yes - I believe gun licences in areas with persistent wildlife crimes of this nature are going to come under increased scrutiny by the local cops.

I think a focus on poisoning blackspots is what instigated it in the first place, but I'm sure persecution with forearms will be similarly scrutinised alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement