Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ooh didn't know this was out today, thought it was the middle of June. I'll watch it but I'm not expecting great things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'll watch it as I want to follow the development of these characters to the end.

It's turned from a hard hitting drama with a very specific message into a murder thriller turned who-dunnit/soppy teenage soap. Completely lost its way unfortunately.

I'll watch it as I want to follow the development of these characters to the end.

It's turned from a hard hitting drama with a very specific message into a murder thriller turned who-dunnit/soppy teenage soap. Completely lost its way unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don’t think I got past the first or second episode last season.. don’t think I’ll bother unless this final season is revealed to be pretty damn unmissable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Basq wrote: »
    I don’t think I got past the first or second episode last season.. don’t think I’ll bother unless this final season is revealed to be pretty damn unmissable!
    I stuck with last season but it was beyond silly. I might watch the first episode of this season just to see what the plan is but not sure if I'll stick with it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It took me a long time to finish season 3, and I've watched 3 episodes of season 4 and it really is grim. How they got away with this show beyond season 1 is criminal.

It's a shame for a couple of the actors as had they left it at one season, it would have been a great jumping off point for their careers.

Plotless rubbish so far, I'm three episodes in.

I don't even know what they're trying to portray anymore.

Also three episodes in. It's really not very good, but it's easy enough viewing and I'm watching it more out of loyalty than anything else. I really wish they didn't have to hammer home how 'woke' and progressive they are every single episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Finished it. Last episode tears

Finished it. Last episode tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finished 3rd episode, does it get better? Loved the first season, 2nd was ok, 3rd was absolute shyte and 4th is looking to be the same. Like a 90's Scream style horror movie mixed with who shot Mr Burns.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Finished 3rd episode, does it get better? Loved the first season, 2nd was ok, 3rd was absolute shyte and 4th is looking to be the same. Like a 90's Scream style horror movie mixed with who shot Mr Burns.

if you watched all the other seasons you may kee going. Only 9 episodes

Watched episode 8 today, total shíte I think, very difficult to like any of the remaining characters. There's only two episodes left, feels like there's a lot left to resolve. Only reason I'm still watching is because I've seen the three previous series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Couldn't even get beyond episode 1. God that British girl is insufferable. Just the worst show ever, completely detached from season 1 which just really resonated with me and had a very deep emotional impact on me. Even season 2 was a long stretch but at least it had some point and relevance. Sad to see it fall so far down, don't think I've ever witnessed such a spectacular failing of a televsion show in just 3 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,367 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Season 1 was great, hated Season 2, thought 3 was ok but obviously very different.

3 episodes into this and no idea what they're doing here. Even spitting in the face of the whole thing that the fantastic season 1 was built on in one of the therapy sessions.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Couldn't even get beyond episode 1. God that British girl is insufferable. Just the worst show ever, completely detached from season 1 which just really resonated with me and had a very deep emotional impact on me. Even season 2 was a long stretch but at least it had some point and relevance. Sad to see it fall so far down, don't think I've ever witnessed such a spectacular failing of a televsion show in just 3 seasons

Did you ever watch The Big C? The decline in series 3 is the most extraordinary decline I've ever seen in any tv show. They got back on track for the fourth and final one but I don't think it ever really recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I’m on ep 5. This season is awful. The visions of Bryce and Monty are too much. The character of Clay is ruined and a total nut job. They’ve turned it into a cheesy B horror movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I've finished episode 2 and checking here to see if people are saying it gets better. Its appalling so far. Not sure how much longer I'll stick with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Just finished the last episode.God that packed an emotional punch.

• Advertisement

Watched episode 9 last night, one more to go.
    If it is Justin who dies, as is implied, what the hell are they trying to do to Clay? That'll be two of his closest friends who'll have died within a relatively short period of time. There was also Jeff from series 1, I think.

Also I think Tony is utterly insufferable this series. I know his personal circumstances are difficult, but Jesus the woe is me stuff gets tiresome after a while.

Wasn't it just emotional the last episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Watched the first episode of season 4 last night.
    Agreed with wife after that Noether of is was really arsed watching rest based on that.
    Just checking in here to get a feel on whether to contribute, and looks like we've made the right call.
    Like everybody has said, is been a serious stop in quality; maybe it still his gone on some way for high school kids etc, but from my view it just seems to have lost its way and has nothing leftto say.
    But when ppl throw bags of money at you I suppose you need to provide something to justify keeping it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Victim of it's own success really. It probably should have just been left at 1 season, it was perfectly suited to it and punchy enough.

Finished the series. Last episode was good, but
    Justin's death was totally unnecessary.
    Not sure what kind of message it sends tbh. I'll probably add a few more thoughts tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

First season was great. Tried the second and it was atrociously bad, gave up after 2 episodes and can't fathom how it went for four. Was the third season better than the second?

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    First season was great. Tried the second and it was atrociously bad, gave up after 2 episodes and can't fathom how it went for four. Was the third season better than the second?

3 was waaaaaaaaayy worse than 2.

I liked 3 much more than 2 actually. Hated 2. Just got too ridiculous what with the Tyler and Monty storyline. Not overly improved since but liked the 3rd season mystery element. Had you guessing a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

What a steaming pile of sh1t that season was.

The emotional punch at the end that should have being there was removed by a badly managed story.
    Too many pieces that didn't fit or felt forced or where just really stupid.

I didn't mind season 3 that much it was weaker for sure but when you could get over the time jumps it half worked.

The one thing that did work was Clay's panic attacks i thought I could feel that tension coming across for those.

One thing I did miss this season was the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished watching the past 3 seasons over the last week and a half.
    If there's one thing they lacked it was consistency and I don't just mean in quality. Like where did characters like Sheri go? At least try and explain their disappearance. "Friends" declaring how much they love each other yet they're accusing each other of murder or something else pretty much once a month at least.
    Clay was probably the most annoying character in season 1. Didn't change much in season 2. I thought it would be the same in season 3, then they brought in Ani and Clay had competition/help in being annoying.. Why would they tell her everything anyway when they barely know her?

As for season 4 the first half was a chore to get through.
    As a fan of Twin Peaks, I could've easily mistaken some of these for episodes of Twin Peaks.
    We get 2 and a half (Winston) new characters who I don't think were even mentioned before with Diego and Estela, who decide to find out what happened with Monty. Luckily everyone decides to drop the matter, including all the football team who were in on the plan to find out.
    And going by that prom, Monty was the worst thing in that school. Since after he died, absolutely no one is in any way homophobic. So him being gone seems to have worked out for the school.
    The fact the writers had to point out that Clay isn't seeing and talking to ghosts goes to show how confusing all those overdone scenes were. Also kind of contradicted from seeing Clay earlier clearly having a conversation with someone who wasn't there.
    Then was Winston just dancing on his own at the prom while we saw him with Monty, who he says he loved even though Alex was the first one he's ever loved in a strange time paradox way?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just finished watching the past 3 seasons over the last week and a half.
    If there's one thing they lacked it was consistency and I don't just mean in quality. Like where did characters like Sheri go? At least try and explain their disappearance. "Friends" declaring how much they love each other yet they're accusing each other of murder or something else pretty much once a month at least.
    Clay was probably the most annoying character in season 1. Didn't change much in season 2. I thought it would be the same in season 3, then they brought in Ani and Clay had competition/help in being annoying.. Why would they tell her everything anyway when they barely know her?

As for season 4 the first half was a chore to get through.
    As a fan of Twin Peaks, I could've easily mistaken some of these for episodes of Twin Peaks.
    We get 2 and a half (Winston) new characters who I don't think were even mentioned before with Diego and Estela, who decide to find out what happened with Monty. Luckily everyone decides to drop the matter, including all the football team who were in on the plan to find out.
    And going by that prom, Monty was the worst thing in that school. Since after he died, absolutely no one is in any way homophobic. So him being gone seems to have worked out for the school.
    The fact the writers had to point out that Clay isn't seeing and talking to ghosts goes to show how confusing all those overdone scenes were. Also kind of contradicted from seeing Clay earlier clearly having a conversation with someone who wasn't there.
    Then was Winston just dancing on his own at the prom while we saw him with Monty, who he says he loved even though Alex was the first one he's ever loved in a strange time paradox way?

I think Sheri was a year above Clay and the gang, so she simply moved on to college? Same with Courtney, the gay guy from first season and a black guy who's name I can't remember who was the subject of one of Hannah's tapes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Just finished the last season though was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Meant to say that if anyone decided to make a drinking game where they have a shot every time "love" was said in the final season, I wouldn't expect them to be in any condition to post any time soon.

Finished the last episode last night, yeah first half was sad but felt disconnected from the overall story. 2nd half was pointless, could have ended 20 minutes earlier but they got wrapped up in the fanfare 'hey, remember this character from season 1?"
    i was really hoping they would mass confess and deal with the consequences instead of "oh hey, you know that murder case? Yeah, that's closed now. Doo doooo dooo dooo". Was really building up to them actually dealing with their problems but they all bottled it and got rewarded for doing so.... Except Justin but he was outside the main story arc all season anyway.

The last season really played out like something from the 90's. The first half was 90's horror (in a bad way) and 2nd half was 90' highschool rom-com (in a bad way).

I kind of want to watch season 1 again to remind myself how good it was but glad it's done.

Also, how did they go from great soundtracks to absolute shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Well, I finished the season about a day after it came out and I STILL can't figure out whether I liked it or not (and I say that as someone who has liked every other season a lot, though I know that's a fairly controversial opinion regarding 2 and 3 with many viewers :D). I probably didn't love it as a whole but there was enough good stuff with characters I really did like in the various episodes that I think I would have felt much more favourably as a whole about it had they not gone for that "twist" ending in the finale
    with Justin
    . It was hugely emotional, as I presume was exactly how they wanted it to be, but man, I hated that ending to that storyline. Really ended up colouring how I felt about the finale in a negative light when actually, after a very mixed season I think I would have liked the finale a lot otherwise.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Finished the last episode last night, yeah first half was sad but felt disconnected from the overall story. 2nd half was pointless, could have ended 20 minutes earlier but they got wrapped up in the fanfare 'hey, remember this character from season 1?"
    i was really hoping they would mass confess and deal with the consequences instead of "oh hey, you know that murder case? Yeah, that's closed now. Doo doooo dooo dooo". Was really building up to them actually dealing with their problems but they all bottled it and got rewarded for doing so.... Except Justin but he was outside the main story arc all season anyway.

The last season really played out like something from the 90's. The first half was 90's horror (in a bad way) and 2nd half was 90' highschool rom-com (in a bad way).

I kind of want to watch season 1 again to remind myself how good it was but glad it's done.

Also, how did they go from great soundtracks to absolute shyte.

I liked Vampire Weekend at the end of the graduation but the rest is probably right. I enjoyed the ending just because it reminded me of S1 and the well rounded characters from that.

It really had a chance to be a meaningful show about loss, grief and how that is dealt with in both teenagers and later in life. Instead it went on this tangent with Tyler, school shootings and the frankly bizarre sexual assault on him.

Do we forget one of the characters shot himself in the head a year ago? Because he seemed to have. The final episode is a microchasm of the show in a way as the storyline they sort of tack on at the end could have been a meaningful arc through the entire season and led to an emotional payoff rather than the nonsense first few episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Watched the first two seasons and thought it was very good television as it didn't skirt around its central themes. Didn't know there were two more seasons until recently so started season 3 this weekend.

Two episodes in and my god am I finding the new student unbearable. Too much of a stereotypical smart British-accented person. Going around her new school like fecking Miss Marple. Mind your own damn business!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

What the hell was that about? Clay going mad and terrorising everyone. Everyone seem to turn gay. The Justin thing all over the place....

It's been about a month since I finished the final series and I literally haven't thought about it once. Would have been a much, much stronger brand had they stuck with just the one series.

I'm sorry I turned my nose up at the anthology idea after Season 1. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

It's been about a month since I finished the final series and I literally haven't thought about it once. Would have been a much, much stronger brand had they stuck with just the one series.

I've thought about it since, but not in a good way :P It's just such a shame when the ingredients are (at least mostly) there for a strong season/ending and then... you feel like they just didn't stick the landing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Excuse me if there's a thread on this but I hear a lot of criticisms from mental health experts and even normal people about the show. It's pretty popular but also gets a lot of hate.

Why is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,907 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Have you watched it yourself?

If not maybe give it a try and see how you feel about it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Too much hardcore gay sex, the scene with the wine bottle being particularly brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Excuse me if there's a thread on this but I hear a lot of criticisms from mental health experts and even normal people about the show. It's pretty popular but also gets a lot of hate.

Why is this?

Because creating a TV show where suicide is portrayed in such a way, leads at risk teens to consider it. Its release quite literally created a increase in suicides among young teens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Have you watched it yourself?

If not maybe give it a try and see how you feel about it yourself.

I have. Watched 2 seasons but found it a bit boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Teen angst. Ugh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

Too much hardcore gay sex, the scene with the wine bottle being particularly brutal

You mean rape, not sex?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Because creating a TV show where suicide is portrayed in such a way, leads at risk teens to consider it. Its release quite literally created a increase in suicides among young teens.

I've always been a little suspicious of headlines shows like this attract. They are an easy target and seem to fuel panic. I think suggesting increased suicide rates is rather dangerous, plus it's essentially been debunked, but like all good panics the truth doesn't matter ahead of some scaremongering.

https://twitter.com/Livingstone_S/status/1240309289383854080

• Advertisement
Advertisement