Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting a house into units - fees and delays, worth it?

Options
  • 06-06-2020 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I've been toying with the idea of splitting an old pre-'63 two storey into two individual units. Obviously would be a massive advantage if could free up cashflow through selling one of them and staying in the other.

Have come across a few threads and it seems planning permission is required. I'm trying to get an idea of overall costs

Architect fees
    Planning application
    Solicitor's fees to create two sets of deeds etc.
    Splitting the electricity and gas

If the builder was to make sure it was built to current regulations, then would an architect be needed? I'm mindful they are extremely expensive.
    Could a chartered surveyor create new maps for the solicitor to do up the new documents folio etc?
    Timeline probably years?!
    Cost to bring a pre '63 to current standards - rewire, plumbing, insulation - possibly €50k or more.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Biggest cost could be requirements associated with TGD-B (fire regs)

When you have separate units you need a Fire safety cert.

Advertisement