Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

TGD wrote: »
    Ya, with the right wind conditions, one good snot-blow might just about cover the 50-60

You must avoid group cycles in the winter flu season then?

Community transmission as it stands is as low as it has been since the outbreak.if the current trends continue the the remaining phases will be implemented earlier with reduced social distancing happening alot ealier than people expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

dahat wrote: »

Community transmission as it stands is as low as it has been since the outbreak.if the current trends continue the the remaining phases will be implemented earlier with reduced social distancing happening alot ealier than people expect.

Apples and oranges.
    I don't avoid group cycles in the winter flu season, however, I do get the flu jab.
    Will that work for Covid 19?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to be clear, I thought it was self evident that the dates announced were if everything goes perfect, nothing would be earlier.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I thought it was self evident that the dates announced were if everything goes perfect, nothing would be earlier.

Yes but if current trends continue that timeframe looks like a long way out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Apples and oranges.
    yep; i don't know anyone who has died of the flu - not that i'm aware - but i know two people who have died of covid 19 in the last two months.

• Advertisement

Yes but if current trends continue that timeframe looks like a long way out.

Not really, in fact it's very quick. Each one needs time to see does it lead to a spike in infections. If we.keep to this time frame it will be astoundingly quick but rest assured, these are the quickest times.

I'll withdraw from this

My point remains that on current trends there is scope to improve the timeframe of phases.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll withdraw from this

My point remains that on current trends there is scope to improve the timeframe of phases.

The current trend is only because of the fairly strict adherence to phases, so I'm happy enough to stick to them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Maybe we'd be better off putting our energies into thinking of ways to continue cycling the way we'd like for the foreseeable future, which seems to be how long many of the restrictions like social distancing will be in place.

My personal preference is solo spins tbh, most people I'm comfortable out and about with is four. I don't race road anymore and have no interest in sportives, but all these rules would still apply to track and I'd very much miss that, even if I never raced there again, I'd miss training sessions, etc.

In saying that, as I said previously on this forum somewhere, I haven't seen my parents in three months, but also my son hasn't seen his mother in three months, her partner has lost three family members and I can't travel home for the funeral of my primary school classmate who drowned herself during the week. I'm sure others have similar trying circumstances and much worse to deal with.

So really, when it comes down to it, they're the things I'd like to sort first, and I know this is a thread regarding cycling and obviously it's going to be the main topic, but seriously, some posters on this forum could do with breaking free from the myopia. I'm not going to be happy if I can't go home by at least August to help my parents out if the phases are extended cos some dip**** on here couldn't keep it in his pants for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It not cycling or personal and family priorities.
    We've got a very caution road map which is being questioned now by many in areas of authority (including almost half the cabinet).
    WHO guidance of 1m would mean group cycling is a hell of a lot closer.
    Travel to see family is of course more important but just be clear thats its not being delayed by or going to be at the expense of cycling...

• Advertisement

There is alot of people hoping for improved introduction of previously normal life conditions.

The 2 meter distance will cripple business & group activity so hopefully a compromise can be found to please all parties.

All this is of course with respect to those who have suffered throughout this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Westportif have rescheduled for 26th of September.

1m you may as well not have social distancing at all, people are barely at 1m most of the time the last two weeks anyway. ****ing Restaurants and Bars getting unquestioned airtime on RTE news. I hope I'm wrong but we were so close to seeing a reason to relax, and we shot ourselves in the foot, both of them. I say this in full acceptance that if people laugh at my posts in a few weeks, I would be the happiest person in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

1m you may as well not have social distancing at all,

1m is what the WHO recommend....

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and others. Why? When someone coughs, sneezes, or speaks they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person has the disease.

RobFowl wrote: »
    1m is what the WHO recommend....

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and others. Why? When someone coughs, sneezes, or speaks they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person has the disease.
    My point, which I thought was clear, to anyone out at the minute. We have a two metre limit at the minute and bar queuing for shopping, and only when outside the shop, and even then rarely, the majority of people are moving around within 1m. Maybe I am unlucky in what I see but with rare exception no one I see bar a few exceptions are keeping even close to the 2m. I hope I'm wrong but make it 1m and it may as well not be a thing based on my observations. Hopefully I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I suspect there will be a lag between when it is safe to hold events and when it is socially acceptable to hold an event.

People on twitter live for giving out about things, and it just takes one photo of poor social distance to ruin an events reputation so organisers might not bother!

if the TDF goes ahead, it might pave the way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Given the lack of any clear evidence on what constitutes a safe distance when cycling behind someone, I cannot imagine any situation on an open road where cycling 2 metres apart does not constitute a hazard. I cannot really understand the references to "assessing the route" and "within your locality" but maybe I am missing something.
    the main road near me has 3m shoulders, have cycled 2m apart along there, but it is a boring 5km

Yeah I'd agree that they had to accelerate things for many reasons & people's behaviour from here is key to any further progress for sporting activities.

Cycle Ireland seek keen to get a calendar of sorts arranged. This however is dependant on clubs having the willingness to run the races / sportives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

People better remember that they can't just ride through people like in zwift.

• Advertisement

I would say sportives but on a smaller scale (amybe 50-80 ) will be going ahead from the end of July.
    Have to say impressed that the Gov has listened, reseached and changed the roadmap.
    Would have been easy to rigidly stick to it without question.
    Unfortunately as many here know better than I, science if often a case of trying to whether a shade of grey is closer to black or white.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Would have been easy to rigidly stick to it without question.
    Unfortunately as many here know better than I, science if often a case of trying to whether a shade of grey is closer to black or white.

Very much so, science is trying something repeatedly and seeing how many times it does it one way and how many times the other and seeing what is more likely. Science is regrettably not far off the definition of insanity in the Biological area.

As for the government listening, I'll stick to my view that NPHET have said off the record, do what you want, because so many of the requirements have been broken, we can't analyse what has worked and what hasn't. Our R0 increased again yesterday, barely got a mention. The optimist in me hopes that they know better and think the worst is over, the pessimist is thinking they are letting us get a taste of freedom before they have to close the door again. As Gerald Barry said on RTE the other night, it is most likely that we will just have to learn to live with Covid for the next two years rather than any dramatic shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

As Gerald Barry said on RTE the other night, it is most likely that we will just have to learn to live with Covid for the next two years rather than any dramatic shift.

That has always been my understanding. From the very beginning, it has always been about "flattening the curve"(which is hopefully what we have done). It has always been the case that C19 was here to stay and that we had to learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That has always been my understanding. From the very beginning, it has always been about "flattening the curve"(which is hopefully what we have done). It has always been the case that C19 was here to stay and that we had to learn to live with it.

Same as and I thought from the get go that was obvious that its here for a while but there seems to be a huge amount of the population who think its over and back to normal (including members of my own family).

In regards sportives I will wait until at least September to see how the country is moving before signing up for anything. I also don't see anyone organizing something now for July as its a big risk financially to take on, hopefully though come August onwards we'll see some small events and local club leagues maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i had entered 2 sportives scheduled for September - Tour de Beara (12/09) and Reservoir Dog (20/09). As of yet i haven't heard they are not going ahead. i'd like to know as early as possible if they are not going ahead but like i said no word on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just a heads up that I plan on putting together a thread for the Evil, albeit a shortened version to go ahead maybe at the end of July or start of August. That being with all things going to plan on the road map to opening and no major increase in Covid cases etc etc etc.
    I have followed the recommendations to a T so far and will continue to do so.
    We know the Evil has attracted as many as about 10-12 and as little as 2 so social distancing is not usually an issue during this event:

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Same as and I thought from the get go that was obvious that its here for a while but there seems to be a huge amount of the population who think its over and back to normal (including members of my own family).

In regards sportives I will wait until at least September to see how the country is moving before signing up for anything. I also don't see anyone organizing something now for July as its a big risk financially to take on, hopefully though come August onwards we'll see some small events and local club leagues maybe.

And until something changes, it should be the way it is, facemasks for all indoor public places, good hand hygiene, and social distancing and we would get pretty close to normal.

This would allow for TTs, maybe other stuff, r0 dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32904322

Spin for all the Blaa heads who are mad for road after the lockdown.

Just shy of a 300, the only way to get that is to make route even more climby in Knockmealdowns.

Haven't the legs or head for it now but maybe come August.

Slight digression into Cork near Araglin and the Gaza strip that is the Old Bridge in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still very hard to know - all the stuff I've read is still on condition of social distancing being maintained. I guess we all await the updated CI advice.

fwiw, not much social distancing from what I saw from the groups out around here at the weekend, on top of ignoring the travel restrictions -both those that were still in place until today, and the new within county or 20km (Unless Dublin has sneaked through the undoing of the 1606 formation of Wicklow).

• Advertisement

Coming down the long hill near Kilmacanogue yesterday, I seen a group of 4 cyclists coming up the hill. All social distancing, seemed grand. If nothing else, some motorists may actually realise why we go side by side. Although I am skeptical.

Advertisement