Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Anyone recommend an easy to install centre console cover (matt black) from ideally a UK/IRL company?
    Don't want to wrap, more like the panels with 3m tape to stick.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but if the app gets hacked

How exactly? By tampering with it on the protected AppStore? By vulnerability in iOS where other apps could read the key? Both virtually impossible.

Maybe by hijacking the author's code and Apple login and hacking the application, and then sending keys and location data to some central server - possible but pretty unlikely. And even if it happened they'd have to pass the key to a thief in Ireland, which would only get them into the car and not past my PIN number - and they can get into the car just by smashing the window. I think I'm fine with using the app ...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

mrbongo wrote: »
    How exactly? By tampering with it on the protected AppStore? By vulnerability in iOS where other apps could read the key? Both virtually impossible.

Maybe by hijacking the author's code and Apple login and hacking the application, and then sending keys and location data to some central server - possible but pretty unlikely. And even if it happened they'd have to pass the key to a thief in Ireland, which would only get them into the car and not past my PIN number - and they can get into the car just by smashing the window. I think I'm fine with using the app ...

Any idiot going to their insurance company explaining that they given the virtual keys to their car to a company that has been subjected to a hack will need some luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tesla3 wrote: »
    Any idiot going to their insurance company explaining that they given the virtual keys to their car to a company that has been subjected to a hack will need some luck

Any idiot.....that’s twice you said that now. Doesn’t add any weight to your argument.

People give permissions to their phones apps every day for similar things.
    Geo fencing to turn your house alarm off as you pull up to the drive. iPhone details of credit cards, bank accounts and other financial items.

I really don’t think giving an app your details like this is an issue.
    My bmw app can open the car, lock the car, heat the car, locate the car etc should people disconnect from these services too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Gumbo wrote: »
    Any idiot.....that’s twice you said that now. Doesn’t add any weight to your argument.

Geo fencing to turn your house alarm off as you pull up to the drive. iPhone details of credit cards, bank accounts and other financial items.

My bmw app can open the car, lock the car, heat the car, locate the car etc should people disconnect from these services too?

Is that an official App from BMW?????.

Because something offered by BMW officially is a different ballgame.

1) it's fair and reasonable to expect something from official BMW to be dependable. You cannot be accused of being careless using an official BMW app in the way it was intended by BMW.

2) if something goes wrong then you should get better backing from big BMW rather then a "guy" who built an app

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭taylorsrichard

Just posted my latest video on the Top 10 Most Unique/Controversial Design Elements of the Model 3 for anyone interested to see how it compares to the S/X and other luxury cars. Hope ye like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Just posted my latest video on the Top 10 Most Unique/Controversial Design Elements of the Model 3 for anyone interested to see how it compares to the S/X and other luxury cars. Hope ye like it :)

Very good - some of those issues you mention would be a minor annoyance to me alright - especially the needing three or four clicks in an app to open the glovebox

- and I think Id have to tape up that manual door opener as explaining anyone giving a lift- older relative, boss etc. not to use it because they would damage the door trim :) would sound like you are too overprotective!

The relocated speedometer is also more obvious one - but would take me some time to get used to not being in visual line of sight.

Are there easy ways to change the radio or adjust the temperature without taking your eyes off the road?

“Roll it back”

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ozmo wrote: »
    Are there easy ways to change the radio or adjust the temperature without taking your eyes off the road?

Do voice commands work with these settings?

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Grab handles. Why Tesla, why!? To me, that's up there with their bad design decision of no cabin storage in the model S.

• Advertisement

Do voice commands work with these settings?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

ozmo wrote: »

Steering wheel buttons.
    Left Wheel is for audio controls:
    Tilt Right/Left = audio track skip forward / back
    Scroll up/down = audio volume up / down
    Push = Audio play / pause (mute)

For temperature there is a fan button always in the same place at the bottom of the touch screen, so you should be able to get to correct menu quickly. As said you can use voice control too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

"Unannounced Acceleration Test"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Grab handles. Why Tesla, why!? To me, that's up there with their bad design decision of no cabin storage in the model S.

The first time I noticed they were missing .... was yesterday when I watched that video. :D So, wasn't a problem for me obviously .... and possibly plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

General comments:

The door handles work well for something to grab for me, on the few occasions I've been a passenger.

It's also only 2 presses or a voice command to open the glovebox not 3 or 4. ;)

I have little warning triangles fitted beside the emergency release latches and window stickers on the window buttons, for about 5 quid I think it's worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭WattsUp

Gumbo wrote: »

Despite the app developers best intentions things can change. A few examples
    1. Somebody with access to app development decides to copy keys to cloud somewhere. A disgruntled employee.
    2. App gets sold and new company decide they want the keys on server. Server then gets hacked.
    3. The app turns out to be a "long game" scam and when it has passwords for 10000 cars they get their team of minions to start picking them cars up. App rating might not be 5* after that but who cares.

I love the idea of teslafi and other apps BUT would you give a copy of your key, with up to the second location of where car is at any time, to a complete stranger, just because he said he would not use it?

It sounds like people are putting a massive amount of faith in somebody(s) they don't know. Would they do same in real life ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

WattsUp wrote: »
    Despite the app developers best intentions things can change ...

Step 1: Convince Tesla drivers to install my app
    Step 2: Wait for Tesla to finish full self driving
    Step 3: Sell app to oil company
    Step 4: Use account to buy full self driving over the air for cars that don't have it yet
    Step 5: Oil company triggers self drive to bring all cars to central location for destruction

As fun as that scenario would be, I don't think there's a real hope of it happening.
    The only real concern I'd have is are you breaching Tesla's terms of service by sharing credentials with a third party, not that there is likely to be any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Would there be any reason not to just one of the new cars in stock in Dublin vs ordering a new one if the options included were satisfactory? Is FSD a software only upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Not really.

If you order a Model 3 with FSD at the time of order - you pay additional vrt on that versus paying for that upgrade after you have received the car *As far as I know*..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

No most recent upgrade or anything like that that you might miss out on.

Would there be any reason not to just one of the new cars in stock in Dublin vs ordering a new one

If they actually had it in stock, then yes, order away if you want the car quicker..

Thats pretty much how I got mine. I had ordered, and about a week later, when others (who ordered around the same time) were getting VIN matched, and I still wasn't, an inventory car appeared in the exact spec I had ordered, so I emailed them in Sandyford, and asked if I could transfer my order to the inventory car, and they did it for me. The car was still on the transport ship, but I believe I got it sooner than if I'd have waited for my original order.

Ordered on January 18th
    collected on March 13th

• Advertisement

Not that I know of, it should be a brand new car, 202 reg I guess if you collect in July? (If you did order today, tell Tesla you want a 202 reg)

Let me know if you need a referral code. Both of us get 1500km free supercharging.

No, all cars coming in now are 2020 cars, and all are the same bar the various options they come with.

All cars will get the same software updates.

WattsUp wrote: »
    It sounds like people are putting a massive amount of faith in somebody(s) they don't know. Would they do same in real life ?

You can make the same argument about paying for almost anything online, or using payments on your phone, with immediate loss of your cash remotely. But internet commerce is thriving.

There is a risk with giving your Tesla key to an app. If you want to use an app, make sure it's trusted, download it and prevent updates - that will lock its functionality and even it is hacked later you will hang on to the safe version.

There are easier ways to steal keys, how many keep their keys in a Faraday cage that prevents remote stealing? Watch this video when a Model S was hijacked outside a home in the UK.

I'd always put a PIN on the car. With a PIN doesn't matter if my car is opened by key, it still can't be driven away. It can be towed away alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

MaceFace wrote: »
    With these hot sunny days I want to engage overhead protection. It seems I can’t if I have sentry mode enabled.

I’ve set sentry to turn off at home but overheat protection is grayed out even if I’m home.

Anyone get this working?

Turn off Sentry Mode
    Turn off Tilt
    The Overheat Protection should now be enabled for you to switch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭rx8

Had a test drive this afternoon. Beautiful Grey Long range model. Quick and easy hand over of key and headed off. Found it to be very comfortable easy to set up and drive. Thanks to Richard's video earlier. The Mrs. even had a quick spin around one of the quiet estates. I was way too scared to mash the accelerator fully. So much power under your foot is quite unbelievable. Gonna see what they come back with as regards trade in value of my 2016 Passat and see where I go from there. They said if I wanted an inventory car it would be about 3 weeks and if I order a new model then I'd be looking at 12 - 14 weeks. What a blast, highly recommend anyone with even a slight interest in EV's to go out and have a go. Really envy all you lucky owners who have already collected theirs. Don't know yet if I'll be joining you,but enjoy the fun all the same.

Trade in value from Tesla is brutal, insulting actually.

Private sale is the only way to go unfortunately.

Even autobuy are a good bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

Hi !

how much is it to add FSD after purchase ? it's 6500 at purchase, but that gets hit with 23% vat then.

Is it 6500 no vat after purchase ?

Hi !

how much is it to add FSD after purchase ? it's 6500 at purchase, but that gets hit with 23% vat then.

Is it 6500 no vat after purchase ?

Yes, if getting it, wait til after getting the car before upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭MarkN

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Trade in value from Tesla is brutal, insulting actually.

Private sale is the only way to go unfortunately.

Even autobuy are a good bit better!

They just rely on traders to take the cars so you’re never going to get what you should. As you say, private is the only way.

No, all cars coming in now are 2020 cars, and all are the same bar the various options they come with.

All cars will get the same software updates.

Except they don't do "model years".

They change things as and when they can, it seems the next batch of 3s in the US will have USB-C in the rear of the car and wireless phone charging as a standard feature.

Possibly other things over the next while too, like heat-pump from the Y ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EVGuy wrote: »
    Except they don't do "model years".

They change things as and when they can, it seems the next batch of 3s in the US will have USB-C in the rear of the car and wireless phone charging as a standard feature.

Possibly other things over the next while too, like heat-pump from the Y ...
    But they do label the cars with model year designations and for the 3 it seems that MY20 cars are different to MY19 etc

Yes, "2020" delivered cars are different to 7-19, but we will also likely see changes over the next few months but it will still be a "2020" car.

The year is more a production year than a model year and there will be changes, but they can come at any time.

The taller seal for the boot was added at some point but wasn't called out as an "amazing new feature" like you see with other makes.

Look up what Sandy Munro has to say on Tesla's "sontinuous" innovation versus "continual" innovation like you see from other brands.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Haha, was waiting for someone to pick up on that! Yeah, the voice commands can be used alright, but for some reason I always end up just faffing about with the touchscreen anyway. Think years of having to deal with a less than cooperative Siri might have had some influence on that! Gonna go in-depth on Summon and Smart Summon in the next vid, but if ye have any suggestions for stuff ye'd like me to cover let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Haha, was waiting for someone to pick up on that! Yeah, the voice commands can be used alright, but for some reason I always end up just faffing about with the touchscreen anyway. Think years of having to deal with a less than cooperative Siri might have had some influence on that! Gonna go in-depth on Summon and Smart Summon in the next vid, but if ye have any suggestions for stuff ye'd like me to cover let me know :)

I wouldn't mind seeing how autopilot is on mix of Irish roads. And the comfort on boreens and different Irish road surfaces. And maybe something about the wind noise on the car? Not sure what year yours is but I thought the 192 I had on test drive was nosier than my ioniq. On the motorway at the same speeds.

Btw good video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lafors wrote: »
    And maybe something about the wind noise on the car? Not sure what year yours is but I thought the 192 I had on test drive was nosier than my ioniq. On the motorway at the same speeds.

Model 3 is very noisy. Indeed noisier than Ioniq, which itself is not particularly quiet.

There are aftermarket rubber strip kits I think that make a good bit of difference. No experience with them myself, maybe some owners here can comment.

unkel wrote: »
    Model 3 is very noisy. Indeed noisier than Ioniq, which itself is not particularly quiet.

I can't really say that its very noisy* but up to maybe 50-60 km/h its pretty quiet, above that and it sounds like a normal car.
    Below 30km/h its almost silent.

*Model 3 is the only EV I've ever been in, so in terms of EV's, I've nothing to compare it with.

How does the S compare to the Ioniq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

How does it compare to the Model S in terms of noise?

Model S is quiet. It really is a different class of car.

lafors wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing how autopilot is on mix of Irish roads. And the comfort on boreens and different Irish road surfaces. And maybe something about the wind noise on the car? Not sure what year yours is but I thought the 192 I had on test drive was nosier than my ioniq. On the motorway at the same speeds.

Btw good video
    Yeah, can definitely do the Autopilot stuff. Don't have much to compare against in terms of the wind noise aside from agreeing with @AndyBoBandy in that below 30km/h its very quiet and after that it just sounds like a typical ICE car (aside from when you accelerate). I have a 201 Performance so the 20" wheels would likely have an impact on the noise too.

• Advertisement

I do love the motor 'whine' like noise when you floor it, sounds so futuristic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

embraer170 wrote: »
    How does it compare to the Model S in terms of noise?

There are at least three different versions of Model S suspension, so it depends how old.

I drove a pre-Raven facelifted S and 3 on the same roads. I noticed wind noise in the S and road noise in the 3.

I'm sure a Raven S is quieter than a 3.

I do love the motor 'whine' like noice when you floor it, sounds so futuristic...

Yeah me too. Never gets boring either :D

Yeah me too. Never gets boring either :D
    Same! Would love if they gave you the option to amplify it a bit with the pedestrian speaker or something haha.

You excel at doing research into Teslas, Richard. Go have a good look see if you can find anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

My first Tesla Supercharger experiance today. Very simple and by god it was fast. Trying to use up some referral code Km's before they run out.

20200609-150807.jpg
    upload pic

• Advertisement

Model S is quiet. It really is a different class of car.

I didn't find the S 75 I had a loan of any quieter than my "2020" 3.

They did improve the sound levels from 19->20.

I did have a dreadful whistle that appeared over ~70km/h and discovered the trim below the windscreen was not clipped in, once clipped in the whistle vanished.

Worth checking if you have a 3.

Trying to use up some referral code Km's before they run out.

I wonder though does your expiry date push out if you get more referral km's? and would it only push out for the new km's, or your entire balance of free km's?

EVGuy wrote: »
    I didn't find the S 75 I had a loan of any quieter than my "2020" 3.

They did improve the sound levels from 19->20.

I'd say you have a case there. The one I drove and was in at length is my best mate's Model 3 LR, but it's a March 2019 car (with HW2.5) and it was obviously not in this country

The fact alone that none of the Irish owners seem to complain about noise in their 2020 (or very late 2019) cars would point to Tesla having sorted the problem

Just got back from Spirit Detailing, very impressed with the results and thumbs up for the folks on boards that recommended Brian.
    He even made a nice video of the finished article too!

Model 3 Vulcan Coating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder though does your expiry date push out if you get more referral km's? and would it only push out for the new km's, or your entire balance of free km's?
    It does, and for all of them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement