Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting: don't quite have something I could write to 5,000 words (though obviously it's not a target), but a couple of ideas that could be turned into "stories". I entered Moth once, but always found its standard a lot higher than I felt I wrote at so felt cowed by it. Plus the cheapskate in me was put off by the €15 entrance fee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting: don't quite have something I could write to 5,000 words (though obviously it's not a target), but a couple of ideas that could be turned into "stories". I entered Moth once, but always found its standard a lot higher than I felt I wrote at so felt cowed by it. Plus the cheapskate in me was put off by the €15 entrance fee :D

It does seem to be a little more "highbrow". And the entrance fee is high (that said, the amount you could win is very high as well). But your chances of winning only remain at 0 if you don't submit something!

I'll update my progress in this thread as I write something for it. I've been playing around with an idea but I don't know if it would be suited to five thousand words.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Thanks.

I actually got the deadline for one wrong - that's not until August so I don't see the point in mentioning it just yet.

The Moth Short Story Prize is [I think] the highest amount of money offered as a prize in Ireland. Its deadline is the end of June. 5,000 word limit I think.

If we all submitted something for the RTE Prize, I think we should work towards submitting something to this at the end of next month!
    Thanks this is exactly what i need ! My short stories suck. But they help me through tough times. I may not submit anything but its mice to have a goal.

To everyone who reads this post i hope you all get amazing book deals ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

By the way does anyone know of any competitions for stories with illustrations? I like drawing too!

I just saw on my Submittable the story that I submitted to the RTE Prize has changed from "received" to "in-progress". Anyone else the same? I wonder if we'll find out through Submittable that we are rejected before they release the shortlist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also in progress here when I checked; I dunno how that app might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In progress for me too.

I'd like to think whoever designed Submittable wasn't so crass as to have a series of status badges where one of them being a big, red "Denied". :D I've heard judges can be quite Draconian though, often by necessity due to the sheer volume of work they have to read. It's possibly more manageable for Short Stories though, especially ones around 2,000 words.

Interesting, thanks guys. @pixelburp: it's not "Denied" but on previous Submittables I've made I've definitely gotten received "Declined" haha. But my thinking is that it wouldn't make sense for the judges to officially "decline" any work because then candidates could figure out, through word of mouth and process of elimination, who made the shortlist ahead of it being announced. So it'll probably stay "in-progress" until September.

Also, for anyone who saw that news about a young writer receiving a six figure publishing deal, I think the competition Ms Nealon won to get that national platform in 2017 was the Sean O'Faoláin International Short Story Competition, which is accepting entries for this year's competition until the end of July should you be interested in submitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

I'm also In Progress. In general, Submittable moves you to Declined as soon as the reader has pressed decline but I would imagine there are group management functions that would allow them to hold off the notification if that's what they wanted to do. I can't see why they'd want to though, unless it's a cheap attempt to get us all to tune into Arena for the announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Indeed mine is in progress too. I am guessing it takes a while to get through all the stories that have been sent in.

Dan.

I have stalled hard on the Moth competition; just not loving my idea enough to get the story kicked into gear; while 5,000 words feels quite daunting against something I don't particularly like.

If you want something more focused (and personal), Ray Darcy on RTE Radio 1 has a competition on at the moment.
    Deadline is next Sunday. Only 500 words too.
    A Page from my Life
    It's an exciting day here on the Ray D’Arcy Show!

We launch our new competition:

"A Page from my Life"

We are teaming up with Eason to ask listeners to write a page from their autobiography.

They will be encouraged to capture our imagination, alert our curiosity, and leave us wanting more. There will be a limit of 500 words.

Acclaimed authors Eoin Colfer, Emer McLysaght, Donal Ryan, and Emilie Pine will judge the entries.

And one of the judges Emer McLysaght chats to Ray this afternoon

Emer is co-author of the hugely successful series – "Oh My God - What a Complete Aisling"

Send your entries to Ray@rte.ie competition closes on 31st May 2020

I have stalled hard on the Moth competition; just not loving my idea enough to get the story kicked into gear; while 5,000 words feels quite daunting against something I don't particularly like.

Your story doesn't have to be five thousand words though, that's just the limit. I think the story that won last year was less than two thousand words.

Either way, you have over a month to either finish what you're working on or try a different idea - that's a long time to get something together.

It’s very difficult to produce stories to order for competitions. Some of my stories have taken over a year from first ideas to final draft. My New Irish Writing story was in its 4th year of development when published.
    The better thing is to keep working, write every day, even if only a very little, but just keep it flowing. Once you have a good story, keep it moving to next competition or magazine submission when it fits the ask.

km85264 wrote: »
    It’s very difficult to produce stories to order for competitions. Some of my stories have taken over a year from first ideas to final draft. My New Irish Writing story was in its 4th year of development when published.
    The better thing is to keep working, write every day, even if only a very little, but just keep it flowing. Once you have a good story, keep it moving to next competition or magazine submission when it fits the ask.

True, though this idea is kinda stalled in the crib so may try to find another idea and then come back to this one. Just can't find interesting people to fill the idea with. Happens a lot with me, have the place, concept or conceit down but struggle to populate it with characters worth a damn.

True, though this idea is kinda stalled in the crib so may try to find another idea and then come back to this one. Just can't find interesting people to fill the idea with. Happens a lot with me, have the place, concept or conceit down but struggle to populate it with characters worth a damn.

Usually if your characters are not working it is because the story as a whole is not right yet, and your inner writer’s voice is telling you something is not right. Put the story aside for a month and then go back to it. As you develop the story, the characters will grow out of it.
    One interesting exercise is swap male for female and vice versa. The different perspective can just bring a character to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I had the same problem with one of my stories but then I started it filling it with people I know or at least think I know, I became a lot more interested in the characters and the story flowed because I had an idea of what I thought those people would do certain situations. It's also immensely fun to see what would happen if the annoying socially awkward guy in work was an advisor to a tyrannical monarch :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been feeling very strange these last few days. It's not like Writer's Block, exactly, but something equally deep. I fear that the vast majority of my writing has been rendered utterly irrelevant by recent developments and current affairs.

All of my worries and heartbreak seem so insignificant in a post-Covid19 world, where people of colour in the USA are fighting for fair treatment that should have been normalised aeons ago, while the rest of the Western world realises that they're not so perfect either. I don't feel drawn to big political issues when I write, and I don't want to engage with them out of tokenism or hypocrisy, so instead I worry about being forgotten altogether.

Selfish, I know, but that's where we are now.

I've been feeling very strange these last few days. It's not like Writer's Block, exactly, but something equally deep. I fear that the vast majority of my writing has been rendered utterly irrelevant by recent developments and current affairs.

All of my worries and heartbreak seem so insignificant in a post-Covid19 world, where people of colour in the USA are fighting for fair treatment that should have been normalised aeons ago, while the rest of the Western world realises that they're not so perfect either. I don't feel drawn to big political issues when I write, and I don't want to engage with them out of tokenism or hypocrisy, so instead I worry about being forgotten altogether.

Selfish, I know, but that's where we are now.

Sounds like primarily you need to step back from social media and exposure to current affairs. It can be overpowering and is shown to develop depression. All hobbies are ultimately trivial or ephemeral but that shouldn't stop you doing what you enjoy. Be it writing, painting, gaming, whatever :)

If writing brings you joy, relief, satisfaction, a channel for emotion or sense of accomplishment, then do it. It's even more important, when the world feels brittle, to hold onto your sense of happy. There shouldn't be amy compunction to match the zeitgeist and personally? It's hard not to read this outpouring of support as borderline histrionic. America's problems are 100s of years of systemic dysfunction and won't be cured by Instagram slacktivists posting black squares.

If you feel moved by the scenario though, the best response is to donate money to good charities or causes whose focus is combating prejudice. That's a quantifiable, worthwhile response to a real world problem. It'll give you a sense of actually helping. But don't stop your hobbies, they can coexist and are important to your own mental well-being :)

Getting off social media at the apex of CoVid helped cope though. Don't discount the pressure of our "always on" life styles. It's not healthy. Personally speaking it made a big difference and have only returned to outlets recently

• Advertisement

So has anyone made any progress towards entering the Moth competition in the end? :)

So has anyone made any progress towards entering the Moth competition in the end? :)

I've written maybe two and half thousand words of the first draft? I'd estimate it's maybe 60% completed but that remaining 40% is killing me. I really like the idea I'm working with though so I'm determined to see it through. At least if I finish the first draft I can spend the rest of the month editing it and polishing it.

Is anyone else waiting to see the shortlist announced for the Belfast Book Festival writing awards tomorrow? Did any of you submit?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I learned at the weekend that a story of mine will be published in one of the big literary magazines. I cried when I got the email.

So that's my arse kicked into gear and I'm back on the "write every day" wagon now. I was really losing faith in myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I learned at the weekend that a story of mine will be published in one of the big literary magazines. I cried when I got the email.

So that's my arse kicked into gear and I'm back on the "write every day" wagon now. I was really losing faith in myself.

congrats <3

Wow! Congratulations! So may we ask: what's the story and where / when will it be published? (unless the ink isn't quite dry yet...) :)

That's fantastic news. I'd jump for joy if I ever even got long-listed, never mind anything so heady as publication :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paperdaisy

That's fantastic news! Congratulations, well deserved :-D

That's superb news, DK. Congratulations!

When/where can we read it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Wow! Congratulations! So may we ask: what's the story and where / when will it be published? (unless the ink isn't quite dry yet...) :)
    I can't say where yet, but it's called Magnetic and it's full of riding. :pac:
    That's fantastic news. I'd jump for joy if I ever even got long-listed, never mind anything so heady as publication :D

I had 18 submissions in a row that came to nothing before this one. I haven't had anything published since June two years ago. Keep on plugging away, you just need the right person to read it.

This "new" story's first version on my laptop is dated March 2013. It's been driving me bananas for 7 years.

Really delighted for you. Let us know when it comes available, and keep writing

• Advertisement

I can't say where yet, but it's called Magnetic and it's full of riding. :pac:

I had 18 submissions in a row that came to nothing before this one. I haven't had anything published since June two years ago. Keep on plugging away, you just need the right person to read it.

This "new" story's first version on my laptop is dated March 2013. It's been driving me bananas for 7 years.

A short story right? "Full of riding" hehe; I have at least one immediate request for clarification ... :D

So do we have a timeline of when we might expect? Think we'd all like to know when to rush out any grab a copy :) 2013 though, wow. As you say, you gotta plug away at an idea, keep chipping away.

Congrats again!

Advertisement