Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Commute

Options
  • 05-06-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I've recently started back cycling to work Tallaght to Camden Street.
    I used to cycle this route last year and getting back into it.

I've a decent roadbike and was generally fit from the gym until Covid kicked in.

The commute in is fine but cycling home is waaay worse then I ever remembered. Took me an hour yesterday (12km) and found the uphill really tough going.

Any tips on improving cycling uphill or is it just pure fitness? Getting bit demotivated now because it was so much tougher than I recalled!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Keep at it, you'll get fitter with time.

I started commuting to work last year, 16k each way and found it really tough some days especially going home. Before the lockdown happened it was no problem.

I find having a snack before leaving the office ie a banana or some nuts helps.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your legs will get used to the effort with each try and before long you'll manage the trip in about half yesterday's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Prevailing winds in Ireland are westerly. So on your cycle home to Tallaght, you will be cycling into some form of headwind 50 weeks of the year. This can lad to a lot of variability in how easy it feels!

Most people though are noticing it much harder to get back into any form of exercise at the moment. You have to remember that it's not just that you stopped going to the gym, most people have reduced their activity levels massively and have spent a lot more time sitting around the house for the last 12 weeks. The basic kinds of exercise we get on a daily basis walking around the office, walking to the shops, all add up. Which makes it five times harder to get back into any form of exercise since we've been doing none of these for 3 months.

I was speaking to a carpenter a week after the building sites went back to work. He said he was still aching all over from the manual effort; he had never felt so tired in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tallaght Town is one of the more difficult Dublin commutes because of the height climb and distance. At least you will have the weather with you for the summer. Maybe break it up with the Luas occasionally,I'd guess public transport will be quiet for another month anyway

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

silverharp wrote: »
    Tallaght Town is one of the more difficult Dublin commutes because of the height climb and distance. At least you will have the weather with you for the summer. Maybe break it up with the Luas occasionally,I'd guess public transport will be quiet for another month anyway

Thanks I plan to do day on/day off...maybe two days off! :pac:

I couldn't believe how tough I found it was hoping someone would have a silver bullet or maybe I should buy one of those bikes with a motor!

Thanks everyone I guess i'll just try and keep it at it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

talla10 wrote: »

I couldn't believe how tough I found it was hoping someone would have a silver bullet or maybe I should buy one of those bikes with a motor!

Thanks everyone I guess i'll just try and keep it at it :eek:

Our office moved last year and one of the possible locations was Tallaght, I was considering an electric bike, they ended up picking out along the Grand Canal which was perfect, about 12K each way but the height gain isn't much.

alternate days would be great, good fitness gains and good recovery, in the winter go with dry days which normally gets you 3 ot 4 days a week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

talla10 wrote: »
    what's the bike security like at your workplace?
    you could consider (if possible, depending on your alternate means of transport), instead of doing a return trip every two days, do a one way trip every day. would really only be possible if you can use public transport - i.e. cycle in on the monday, bus home, bus in on tuesday, cycle home, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

The cycle lane underground near Swords at Lissenhall is rubbish.
    When you emerge from it, you end up on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The cycle lane underground near Swords at Lissenhall is rubbish.
    When you emerge from it, you end up on the footpath.

I use that and I’ve never passed a pedestrian there in the last 4 years!
    It wouldn’t be on the OPs commute anyway...

Advertisement