Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city vs cork city for nightlife?

Options
  • 03-06-2020 12:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Probably a no brainer - I'd imagine Dublin is much better?

About right?

I'm talking more so about kind of dance club venues as oppose to bars where you sit about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Polar101

Not since March at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Polar101 wrote: »
    Not since March at least.

Not factoring covid.

In the typical course of thing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Probably a no brainer - I'd imagine Dublin is much better?

About right?

I’ve lived in both and there are some nice bars in cork but Dublin has much better variety and doesn’t have the doorman reputation that cork has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's a bit hard in fairness to compare a city with over a million to one with a couple of hundred thousand. I don't know Dublin but Cork has some good pubs some **** pubs and some in the middle. I'd guess Dublin is the same.

It's a bit hard in fairness to compare a city with over a million to one with a couple of hundred thousand. I don't know Dublin but Cork has some good pubs some **** pubs and some in the middle. I'd guess Dublin is the same.

Cork has the strictest door staff in Ireland and very restrictive opening hours. The latest drink you will get is 2 am.

I lived there from 2005 until 2010 for my college. There was very little choice. Lots of generic night clubs and one "indie bar" in the Brogue so it wasn't exactly Renascence Florence. Live music and gigs were non existent.

My sister lives there now and it seems to have improved slightly but Dublin is still streets ahead of that grey parochial burgh on Langer Side,

• Advertisement

Cork has the strictest door staff in Ireland and very restrictive opening hours. The latest drink you will get is 2 am.

I lived there from 2005 until 2010 for my college. There was very little choice. Lots of generic night clubs and one "indie bar" in the Brogue so it wasn't exactly Renascence Florence. Live music and gigs were non existent.

My sister lives there now and it seems to have improved slightly but Dublin is still streets ahead of that grey parochial burgh on Langer Side,
    I agree with you completely. The door staff in Cork can be assholes I had a major issue with one particular pub recently where I just wanted a quick pint on the way home from work at about 1am and was constantly refused for no reason but define "nightlife". To me nightlife is a pub with a couple of pints with a match on with a seat and no wait at the bar. When I was in my 20's nightlife was nighclubs with good dj's a few pills a q for the bar a mile long and overpriced drinks. The term nightlife is very broad. A lot of people I know consider nightlife as a good meal in a decent restaurant.

I agree with you completely. The door staff in Cork can be assholes I had a major issue with one particular pub recently where I just wanted a quick pint on the way home from work at about 1am and was constantly refused for no reason but define "nightlife". To me nightlife is a pub with a couple of pints with a match on with a seat and no wait at the bar. When I was in my 20's nightlife was nighclubs with good dj's a few pills a q for the bar a mile long and overpriced drinks. The term nightlife is very broad. A lot of people I know consider nightlife as a good meal in a decent restaurant.

Danceclubs.

Short skirts a plenty.

Good electronic music.

I don't know about "pills", I guess you're gonna get that but it doesn't feature for me.

In that context, Dublin vs Cork?

Danceclubs.

Short skirts a plenty.

Good electronic music.

I don't know about "pills", I guess you're gonna get that but it doesn't feature for me.

I wouldn't know. I haven't been out in Dublin but giveme a good yoke and it wouldn’t matter what city in the world I was in. 😉

Danceclubs.

Short skirts a plenty.

Good electronic music.

I think Cork now has one club that caters for electronic music, Dali, Jon Hopkins played there recently enough, Ii think Cyprus Avenue might do the odd electronic night but thats about it.

Dublin has numerous Button Factory, Index, District 8, Wigwam etc with big name DJs playing regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭raheny red

Just go to Galway.

• Advertisement

raheny red wrote: »
    Just go to Galway.

Been - absolutely not impressed.

Advertisement