Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post doesn't deliver with no intercom

Options
  • 02-04-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I live in a complex of 300 apartments in Smithfield with no Intercom/Buzzer and I'm having troubles getting parcels delivered from An Post.

In the few months I've lived here I had no problem with other couriers and some initial deliveries from An Post, they just called me and I got the parcel. But few weeks ago I started getting `There was no answer at the address` in the tracking page for all my parcels.

After few calls with their support it looks like they require the building to have an intercom to get the parcel delivered, because the driver won't call me and I should talk with the management company.
    The management company says that the intercom were disabled years ago and I should arrange the delivery with the courier, they won't do anything and never heard of this problem with other people living here.

I have no idea who is BSing me, but in this period of self-isolation having things delivered from Amazon/An Post is very important.

Does anyone have any idea on how to tackle this issue?
    Is there any supporting law, customer group or anything else I can look at?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Your Mgt Co is.

How does anyone call anyone in the block if the intercom is broken, so it's probably not only you missing packets etc.

An Post does not call anyone because work phones are not supplied, some months back they used to call via the scanner, they scanned a barcode on your packet (amazon/eason/H&M etc) and your phone number was in the bar code. but that stopped.

If a doorbell wasn't working on a house/entrance gates, same thing, if its not working it's up to you, cant blame the delivery guy because you don't know he's there..

An Post are also not supposed (legal/company/union advised) to go further than entrance in apartments, so cant bring it up to you.

So if you pay mgt fees, or renting, tell them sort it out.

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Most couriers I know are self employed so they if they ring you, they are ringing off their personal phone, no problem, its part of their business.

Any An Post employees I know are employed by An Post and do not get complany phones (that I am aware of), so perhaps they dont ring customers as they dont have company phones.

Why should they?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most couriers I know are self employed so they if they ring you, they are ringing off their personal phone, no problem, its part of their business.

Any An Post employees I know are employed by An Post and do not get complany phones (that I am aware of), so perhaps they dont ring customers as they dont have company phones.

Why should they?

An Post parcels delivery at least have a PDA with a phone in it as far as I know. I've received a few calls off them over the years, always the same outbound phone number for my route - but this is dependent on the shipper providing the phone number.

However - a building without an intercom is like a house without a doorbell and no ability to knock. Its not An Posts problem, its your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Start using a Parcel Motel type service. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

L1011 wrote: »
    An Post parcels delivery at least have a PDA with a phone in it as far as I know. I've received a few calls off them over the years, always the same outbound phone number for my route - but this is dependent on the shipper providing the phone number.

However - a building without an intercom is like a house without a doorbell and no ability to knock. Its not An Posts problem, its your problem.

There have been issues in the past with the customer's number not displaying on the scanners, even if it was supplied to the retailer. I used to work for An Post and was told there was issues with the information not linking up between the pre-advice details (Name, address, number) and what's displayed on the scanners.

New scanners later this year apparently so hopefully it can be resolved that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

selous wrote: »
    An Post does not call anyone because work phones are not supplied, some months back they used to call via the scanner, they scanned a barcode on your packet (amazon/eason/H&M etc) and your phone number was in the bar code. but that stopped.

Do you know when that stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I live in an apartment and always get a call from the post woman for an Amazon delivery
    AFAIK the agreement with Amazon is to attempt delivery 3 times before leaving a collection note so presume it suits her to ring rather that have to come back

I can't speak for everyone of course but I can't fault my postman. Makes efforts to get me, always a smile and when he's been collecting the blood money for customs (I jest) he even asks me not to shoot the messenger with a laugh.

That and Dublin bus drivers really get a bad rep in my experience and I say that after living in a number of eu countries over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Saudades wrote: »
    Do you know when that stopped?

Think it was Sept ish last year where my folks live was chatting to the guy up there, (its where i get my packets delivered as im rarely at my place as im working) He said scanners got an upgrade and the calling stopped, overnight, they are trying to get the text message service to replace it, you decide, safeplace/alt address/alt day etc, he said it was handy to ring but with scanner softwear upgrade ya cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Send out 200 parcels a week in our place doesn't matter if it's dpd, an post, fastway. Constant problems delivering to apartments or duplexes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Shimmy!

We live in the same apartment complex I think. The issue only started arising in the last two months since lockdown started. Previously the postman would always call when there was a parcel. Now they never do and just bring it back to the depot. I asked one postman in person and he said it really depends on the individual postman whether he will ring (and I explained to him that not everyone has a buzzer in the complex).

We have most recently been getting a text from An Post which gives the option of diverting delivery to a local post office which is what we do now! Ormonde quay post office is close by and free to pick the parcel up from thereðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the postman does not have to ring anymore,that was stopped as too many customers were abusing this service to request the item be redelivered to a different address,you can request that but not after its in the van for the address on the package as then you item will essentially be delivered twice for the price of once,which isnt financially viable really. only certain items contain the phone number inside the scanner the postie uses each day (can be different each day,depending on office size) .. most amazon items (only if your phone number is attached to your account) and only if it has a track n trace number,some amazon items dont have scans for an post to scan.majority do.

most of the big retailers use prism postage which has your contact details attached when scanned (you would be shocked how many put in their landline numbers and its ringing away when the postie was outside the door,you not in) not much good if you want it left in a safe place you decide upon around your property,or neighbours.

as for blocks of flats and parcels,it was explained well above,some blocks of flats are clean.tidy,no obstructions in walkways,lifts work,etc,some are not that way.if your buzzers dont work,or you dont want to answer them at 8am then its your own fault really,posties legally covered to front of building delivery point.

a lot will go the extra mile if they know the person is old or frail for whatever reason,but its a personal choice,and should they fall or trip,get bitten by a dog (yes in apartment blocks/flats) they are on their own .

rural areas are treated a bit differently as it tends to be same person on the route usually,who builds a relationship with the customers over time and through this is told where to leave parcels if im not home etc..

hope that helps

Advertisement