Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about registering a vintage car

Options
  • 20-05-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I need some clarification and the best way to go about registering (or not) a vintage car.

The car in question is already in the state and has been for just over 10 years now.
    It’s still on its original UK number plates and the logbook (V5) is in my name albeit registered to a UK address that I haven’t lived at for some 20 years. It’s been in storage since 2002.
    However, I would like to start using it for a few shows and vintage runs but of course to do that it would need to be registered in the state and appropriately taxed/NCT’d etc.

My concern is that the original UK registration number is sentimental to me (for personal reasons) and it is why I never registered it here as I don’t want to lose that original registration.
    Trailering it isn’t an option for me and I would ideally like to use it for vintage runs on the road.

My questions to those with the knowledge therefore are;

1) If I do register it here do I lose the original UK number plates or will the original number be available again if I was to ever re-register it again in the UK?
    (I’ve no way of getting it MoT’d or taxed in the UK due to not having a UK address so putting the plate on retention isn’t a viable option)

2) If I was to register it here, would I be liable for back tax of the 10 years it’s been here, even though it’s registered to me on the UK logbook?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

1 you can get the old number back on re-import to the UK, I don't suppose that's guaranteed though.

2 you might be liable , if you admit (or they already know) it's been in the State all that time. Re-egister it in the Wife/Brother's name ? .

Best of luck and enjoy it when back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stillinthedark

Many thanks.

If I do register it, will it be allocated a high series number?
    Such as 88 C 400xx ?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

If you owned the car while a resident in the UK then you should have transferred it to an Irish plate (change of residence) within seven days of returning. If the car has fallen off the UK system by being here since 2002 then its likely that you have lost the plate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Many thanks.

If I do register it, will it be allocated a high series number?
    Such as 88 C 400xx ?

Thanks again.

yes 88C . Theoretically you could get a ZV plate but it is really approriate to a 87+ car.

Advertisement