Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accounting Qualifications - starting out

• 06-05-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking for some advice on the subject of Accounting Qualifications.

Is the AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) a valuable membership to have in Ireland?

I decided to make a career change back in January, so I have been studying for a Certificate in Accounting with The Career Academy.

I plan on following this up with their Accounting Pathway Program which includes AAT membership. I just wanted to check if AAT membership or, indeed, the Accounting Pathway Program from The Career Academy will mean much to any potential employers?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated :)

Koolhanger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Koolhanger wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm looking for some advice on the subject of Accounting Qualifications.

Is the AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) a valuable membership to have in Ireland?

I decided to make a career change back in January, so I have been studying for a Certificate in Accounting with The Career Academy.

I plan on following this up with their Accounting Pathway Program which includes AAT membership. I just wanted to check if AAT membership or, indeed, the Accounting Pathway Program from The Career Academy will mean much to any potential employers?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated :)

Koolhanger

Have you considered Accounting Technicians Ireland They are the same type of certification and they are a bigger body in Ireland. They are the sister body of Chartered Accountants Ireland. With the agreements they have with other bodies you could get a fair amount of exemptions if you want to continue and go for a professional qualification once you finish with them with either Chartered, CPA, ACCA etc.

As far as I know they are approximately the same (AAT) than ATI but ATI has been established longer in Ireland (homegrown). ATI also has an apprenticeship program that you maybe you might be able to apply to.

You can also consider going directly into a professional qualification if you have a relatively recent degree with any of the professional bodies instead. Just check the websites

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

Thank you for all the information, tanit.

I'm going to check out ATI and the various courses they offer.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

tanit wrote: »
    Have you considered Accounting Technicians Ireland They are the same type of certification and they are a bigger body in Ireland. They are the sister body of Chartered Accountants Ireland. With the agreements they have with other bodies you could get a fair amount of exemptions if you want to continue and go for a professional qualification once you finish with them with either Chartered, CPA, ACCA etc.

As far as I know they are approximately the same (AAT) than ATI but ATI has been established longer in Ireland (homegrown). ATI also has an apprenticeship program that you maybe you might be able to apply to.

You can also consider going directly into a professional qualification if you have a relatively recent degree with any of the professional bodies instead. Just check the websites
    Hya, I recently finished a Bachelors degree in Accounting and Finance. I have full cap1 exemptions with ACA and I'm considering my next move. I have heard that the ACCA(also have exemptions) exams are more flexible and this might suit me as I have a young family and my wife works full time. Would you see me choosing ACCA for their flexibility as a mistake or in the end is it the same as ACA. I have researched a good bit regarding CPA. CIMA, ACA snd ACCA and can't Really make my mind up on which body to go with. Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Hya, I recently finished a Bachelors degree in Accounting and Finance. I have full cap1 exemptions with ACA and I'm considering my next move. I have heard that the ACCA(also have exemptions) exams are more flexible and this might suit me as I have a young family and my wife works full time. Would you see me choosing ACCA for their flexibility as a mistake or in the end is it the same as ACA. I have researched a good bit regarding CPA. CIMA, ACA snd ACCA and can't Really make my mind up on which body to go with. Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks.

ACCA is going to allow you flexibility when taking the exams. That is going to be important if you are not in a training contract and have a young family. The difference between being in a training contract and not is that you will get study leave and that will give you time to prepare for the exams.

I have heard of people doing it through the exams using their annual leave as a study leave (I did that in ATI and my first 2 years in CAI) but it becomes exhausting not having a day off for years. If you have a family and your wife works full time either she decides to be incredibly supportive and understanding for the next two years (I've seen even husbands doing it for their wives) or your life can become misery.

Talk with your wife (and let her know of all the warts and horrors of the next two years) and see if you both can organise something and check if you are going to be able to get some study leave for the next two years. If not, it might be better to go one exam at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ACCA is more flexible and you can sit one exam at a time and they have four exam sittings a year. They are also rolling out the ability to sit exams remotely from your own home which is a huge plus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement