Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can i catch in Howth at the moment?

Options
  • 05-06-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Just bought my first rod, a basic spinner rod...I watched a few youtube videos and been out twice giving it a go.

I've got lucky so far i guess maybe...2 small fish so far. 1 tiny tiny unknown yoke...and one small pollock.

I'm using a feather setup for Mackerel but now realise maybe it's too early for Mackerel?

Any tips for switching to a different setup or just keep at it.

West Dublin based so thinking Howth seems best place to go to

Advice appreciated for a noobie :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Just bought my first rod, a basic spinner rod...I watched a few youtube videos and been out twice giving it a go.

I've got lucky so far i guess maybe...2 small fish so far. 1 tiny tiny unknown yoke...and one small pollock.

I'm using a feather setup for Mackerel but now realise maybe it's too early for Mackerel?

I like using a rig like this off the rocks with a spinning rod. Again you'll probably catch bigger pollock, wrasse, possibly bass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

dmc17 wrote: »
    I like using a rig like this off the rocks with a spinning rod. Again you'll probably catch bigger pollock, wrasse, possibly bass etc.

i'll pick up a setup like that so...

Are you saying the feather setup is useless right now and i should be using the rig you have in your link instead? or it's just another option? both would work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

i'll pick up a setup like that so...

Are you saying the feather setup is useless right now and i should be using the rig you have in your link instead? or it's just another option? both would work

Both will work and the feathers more so for mackerel. The mackerel should become more plentiful towards late summer. I just like using this setup with a light spinning rod as it's tidy and also weedless. It's good for getting bigger fish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Everytime you go fishing it's different. You could spend an hour using feathers and catch nothing and the next day you could have a few Mackeral on your first cast.

Every cast is different so don't be afraid to try different set ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

I tried flybaits for mackrells by the devil's head, lost 3 tackles ,heading down to the pier to see if there is any luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement